Hacking In far future it can play (Playstation 2 Games) In PS Vita ?

In far future it can play (Playstation 2 Games) In PS Vita ?

• Total voters

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow, that's quite a bold claim.
Portable Ops, GoW, Persona 3 looked great but they still were PS1-era models with slightly higher res textures, but still PS1-era graphics nevertheless... And they're not even the games that pushed the platform the most.. even FF Type-0/ KH: BBS/God Eater 2 no matter how nice-looking they were could pass for launch PS2 games at most.
I know what i'm talking about.

Hmm. Good to know from someone with a real PSP console. My opinion was based on tests in PPSSPP emulator, which I used it to play PSP games from God of War and Metal Gear Solid franchise.

Anyway, to me, MGSPO models looked like PS2 ones, maybe because PPSSPP improved graphics quality using filters and higher resolutions by default. I mean, on PS1 you almost can't find any game with full-body 3D models that can move its mouth when speaking. MGS1 is one example of this.

On other hand, when you play MGSPP and anyone of PSP's God of War games. All models seems to be extracted directly from PS2 games, with almost all wristles and bells. Maybe the resolution was lower than PS2, due to PSP's lower specs, but besides that you almost can't see any difference.

Back to NDS games, most 3D games from this platform have 3D models that I couldn't find any difference from the ones found on PS1. And even from non-3D games such as Castlevania games, there isn't much difference if you compare them with Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Okay, even with two screen, DS screen resolution was lower from PS1, but there's a lot of similarities besides that.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
That would be because everything is upscaled in PPSSPP.
For the same reason, PS2 and Wii emulator captures using upscaling on a higher resolution can make the screenshots look like they were from an HD game/console. It would be a cold day in Hell before real hardware gives similar screenshots.
Those games compensate the weak hardware with a better art direction to get those results, but there's a limit on polygons (that's close to the PS1) they simply can't exceed or even approach without a severe dip in performance.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I spent $1100 on my desktop and as of 1.2.0 (released last month), many games have full speed. So yes, PCSX2 1.2.0 is the most recent version, runs beautifully on a Core i5 :P More demanding games like God of War, MGS2 and MGS3, you need to overclock the CPU. A device like the Vita would never be able to emulate the PS2.

You may be correct in that the Vita could not emulate the PS2, but thats based on the facts that it currently requires a beefy PC to run PCSX2 to a high standard. Surely thats because PCSX, as good as it is, is absolutely no where near optimized enough to run on something lower.

Dont get me wrong, I used to be a believer in needing massive specs to run emualtion ofsixth generation consoles, but having seen a cheap ass £120 android tablet running Dreamcast in some cases close to perfection and speed, I'm no longer so sure. :lol:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is where Sony went wrong with the Vita in my eyes. They should have made it with miniaturized PS2 hardware with a few extra bells and whistles for Devs that wanted to make exclusive games for it. Release the PS2 back catalog for it to give it a good start and the handheld war wouldn't have been anywhere near as one sided as it is.
Sure, releasing a handheld powered by inefficient and obsolete hardware which doesn't support latest programming libraries sounds like a great idea! I mean, really, who needs OpenGL, right? :tpi:
Too bad that's what the DS was :D
The DS is a handheld in its own right, it doesn't share too many similarities to previous Nintendo hardware apart from ARM7 which is there for the sake of backwards compatibility with the GBA. It was nowhere near the graphical prowess of the N64, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to get across.
You may be correct in that the Vita could not emulate the PS2, but thats based on the facts that it currently requires a beefy PC to run PCSX2 to a high standard. Surely thats because PCSX, as good as it is, is absolutely no where near optimized enough to run on something lower.

Dont get me wrong, I used to be a believer in needing massive specs to run emualtion ofsixth generation consoles, but having seen a cheap ass £120 android tablet running Dreamcast in some cases close to perfection and speed, I'm no longer so sure. :lol:
The PS2 is an insanely convoluted and custom design, that's why it's difficult to emulate. That's not to say that it's impossible to optimize emulation for select titles, but that's still sketchy and I doubt that the PSVita has enough juice to properly pull it off.
I know the PSP had a built-in feature to emulate PS1 games, and it seems the same could be said about PS Classics for the PS3 which offer some PS1 and PS2 games emulated (I'm not talking about the backwards compatible early PS3 models). I hope the PS Vita has something similar for PS2 games.
The PSP, for the most part, virtualizes the PS1 environment due to partially cross-compatible hardware - they're both MIPS-based systems. The PS3 on the other hand emulates the PS1. With the PS2, early PS3 models had hardware-based support, later ones mixed things up half-in-half and these days PS2 Classics are fully software-emulated.
Wow, that's quite a bold claim. Portable Ops, GoW, Persona 3 looked great but they still were PS1-era models with slightly higher res textures, but still PS1-era graphics nevertheless... And they're not even the games that pushed the platform the most.. even FF Type-0/ KH: BBS/God Eater 2 no matter how nice-looking they were could pass for launch PS2 games at most.
I know what i'm talking about.
Yeah, no - PSP games have substantially higher polygon counts, the platform is several times more powerful than a PS1.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure, releasing a handheld powered by inefficient and obsolete hardware which doesn't support latest programming libraries sounds like a great idea! I mean, really, who needs OpenGL, right? :tpi:

Well Im not gonna pretend to know anything about the ins and outs of whether it was possible or not release a handheld PS2 as it were. All I was saying is, is that if they had of done, yet added hardware functionality for newer games to support higher specs, then I'd of jumped on one. After all, in a nutshell, isn't a Wii just an overclocked Gamecube for all intents and purposes?

Im just saying it would have been great for them to do that, release a load of PS2 classics on it to get it into more hands than they had of done maybe

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well Im not gonna pretend to know anything about the ins and outs of whether it was possible or not release a handheld PS2 as it were. All I was saying is, is that if they had of done, yet added hardware functionality for newer games to support higher specs, then I'd of jumped on one. After all, in a nutshell, isn't a Wii just an overclocked Gamecube for all intents and purposes?

Im just saying it would have been great for them to do that, release a load of PS2 classics on it to get it into more hands than they had of done maybe
Doing so would create a power-hungry system powered by obsolete hardware and no support for contemporary development environments. For all intents and purposes, Sony couldn't have possibly picked better hardware for their portable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Senile discussion felt like we were having this type of conversation already