Hardware Image Interferences when using USB Drive

wonthedon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,

I experience horizontal Picture interferences when I plug in my External 3.5" harddisc to the USB port of my WII. The external harddisc is powered by an external power adapter. I have already tried another harddisc and tried another power circuit, which means, I have plugged in the power chord of the adapter to another power plug.

Any ideas or reasons for this interference ?

Thanks in advance

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think anyone else is having this issue, can you post a video or photos of what you are talking about..??
huh.gif

wonthedon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The pictures aren´t very good, but I hope you can see the difference:

First shot with USB cable disconnected:
be3wqr6u92lxoieav.jpg

Second with USB cable connected:
be3wrqj6onqsf4rtz.jpg

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wonthedon said:
Hi,

I experience horizontal Picture interferences when I plug in my External 3.5" harddisc to the USB port of my WII. The external harddisc is powered by an external power adapter. I have already tried another harddisc and tried another power circuit, which means, I have plugged in the power chord of the adapter to another power plug.

Any ideas or reasons for this interference ?

Thanks in advance
interferences...hmmm...i am not much of a technician but as far as i know, hdd's motors produces certain amount of interference. the fdb motor in a hdd might cause this small interference. maybe you could place your hdd a bit of distance from your wii...not sure though but not difficult to try it.

wonthedon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thx for your reply.
I don´t think it is caused by the hdd itself when it is reading / writing, I reckon it is due to some sort of electric mass connection. I can´t put the proper term here, as I am no native speaker. I have placed the drive already surely around 3 meters away - same effect.

It only appears as soon as the plug is plugged in or even, it touches the mass area of the USB connector.

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
that usually happens when you use some external power suppy to power up you HD.

i usually got that result from a Analog TV and a combination of this

PS2 USBadvance = HD + IDE to USB + external powers
PS2 slim HDL = IDE cables soldered on board + HD + external power
Wii usb backup = HD + IDE to USB + external powers

you could try to buy another good HD enclosure that has good filtering of it's powersuppy so it could not interfere with the wii. or a usb powered drive

bigblok403

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the exact same interference when using a Vantec USB to IDE/SATA adapter on my HDTV. Problem did not occur on an older non-HDTV. Tried different power supplies for the same model and got the same interference. Tried moving cables, shielding them, etc..nothing worked. What I finally did was use the USB to IDE/SATA adapter and used an old ATX power supply to power the drive instead of the included one. Problem went away, so it was definitely the power supplies causing the problem.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
try plugging the AC adapter into another socket as I believe the AC adapter has no shielding which is affecting the TV commonly known as TVI, like in the old days when you get desktop speakers put it next to your montior and the picture goes scew wiff, then they brough shielded speakers out guess it was the magnets affecting it, only possible resolution see if the AC adapter affects it by distance, or try another socket as AC apater on the same ciruit as the TV could cause it, I am no electrician but I have some experience of TVI

hope this helps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock