I'm thinking of making a portable GameCube

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Coltonamore, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Coltonamore
    OP

Coltonamore Time to stop Tron Bonne!

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    I know about what screen to use and to use a wiikey to get rid of the disk drive, but what else would I need? How much would it cost to get everything? Can some people help me out here?

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Power supply? Housing?

3. ninditsu

ninditsu GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Audio amp, some speakers, volume control if not on audio amp already.

Some tact switches preferably soft silicone like top

Some 3 way switches

A switch for the eject button used on wiikey.

A fan to keep system cool and a slim lined heatsink

If you want batteries, this is where the costs start to add up.
    GC uses 12V and draws around 2A, so you would want batteries of higher voltage so the voltage drops take long enough for the full capacity to deplete.

14.8V is what you want. And probably around 5Ah capacity to get 2 hours. Then you also need a protection circuit with the batteries to protect over discharge and a smart charger to prevent over charge.

If you want the best efficiency on battery life and more space, you would want to use a switching regulator rather than the stock voltage regulator on the GC. These little circuits come from TI. Need ones that could output 1.7v, and 3.3V at 10A and 12V at 6A. The mentioned voltages, are the voltages the gamecube runs on. And the averages matter because, the higher the possible current output, the cooler the chips stay and last their lifetime.

If you don't want to read all of this, just head on over to modretro forums and modded by bacteria forums, these 2 are both flooded with info

4. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    Never mind this, I'm ditching this to make a portable Wii now. :P

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Haven't seen a lot of those, and every single one is laptop style and not actually very small at all. I would love to see a proper Wii portable that's actually compact. I'm amazed at how small some people have been able to make their GC portables, but they can't seem to do the same thing with the Wii.
    You definitely want to get rid of the disc drive for that too.
    You know what I would really love to see? A Wii portable with a touchscreen emulating the sensor bar. It's rather complicated but it would be awesome to use.

6. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    The question is... the Wii mote. If you want to keep it portable (and with this, play it with two hands) that will be difficult to pull off.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  7. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    Yeah I was planning on making it a Wii laptop with a custom case.
    Its going to be a laptop so I won't have to worry about that. :P

8. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Buu! No fun in making one of those :angry:

9. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    I'm to Lazy, plus its a start isn't it? I've never made a portable before so this makes since for me, :P

10. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Yeah, you're right :P
    Baby steps first.

BAHIM Z 360 and Coltonamore like this.
  11. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    Exactly, what I'm going to be using is, a PSone screen, a very good rechargeable battery pack, and a custom case. this should be very awesome when its finished. :)

12. Ashen12345

Ashen12345 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2013
    United States
    The cost will vary depending on what tools/parts you already have available. But generally, if you have the basic tools already you can build a GCp for $200-300. Yes, that's with batteries.

You forgot GC-Forever. Its where its at.

Wii "portables" (not laptops) are not really practical because of the control system used for the Wii (obviously). If you were to build an actual Wii portable what you'd end up with is and oversized GCp that plays a handful of Wii games that are GC/CC controller compatible. Not really that useful.

Besides the Wii motherboard is huge compared to the GC motherboard (which can be cut down to about the size of an iPhone and still fully work).

Anyway, it'd be cool to see someone go through the build process of a portable over here at gbatemp. Our niche little hobby really needs a bit of a boost in publicity outside of the normal "portablizing forums". Building any kind of portable console is a lot of work. So I wish you luck my friend. You can feel free to hit me up here or there if you need any help.

SSG Vegeta and Parasite X like this.
  13. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Darn, you took all my ideas about a glorified portable DVD player :( anyway, you'd only have to rewrite all the "jerk the remote this way" codes into button presses, or at least give alternate options to the waggling. You might look at the Ben 10: Protector of Earth game for the Wii; you can play the entire game just by pushing buttons; they added jerky movements into it, but you don't have to use them.

14. dajavax

dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    Mexico
    Monterrey
    get a laptop and install dolphin... mine runs it pretty well...

15. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    I don't want to emulate the wii or gcn since there can be graphical glitches and I'm looking into a cheap laptop for retro emulators, Minecraft, school stuff, and normal internet use. I'm just going to do this since its actual hardware (witch is better then emulation by the way) and it would be cool. ;)

16. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    It's not a laptop: it's a (glorified) 3DS. Except it has a built-in charger, which means it won't run out of juice after 4/6 hours.

Coltonamore likes this.
  17. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    Nice joke, but I still think that the ideal of a Wii laptop is awesome. :yaywii:

18. ninditsu

ninditsu GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Yeah I did, what's up Ash?
    I'm SNEAKxxATTACK on all those forums.

Parasite X likes this.
  19. Parasite X

Parasite X Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2009
    United States
    Katy Tx
    This sounds intresting i've seen videos for gamecube,n64 portables. I wonder why nones's decided to make a wii portable because the wii is awesome & I would by it in a heart beat.

20. Coltonamore
    OP

Sep 22, 2011
    United States
    Kattelox Island
    Sorry, but my Wii laptop is not going to be for sale.