Hacking I'm sorry, but I need help please.

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know you guys are likely pretty sick of people asking for help by now, but i'm very new to modifying my 3DS like this and I need some help. Assume that I know nothing, seriously, treat me like a grandparent.

Okay, so after a few attempts I managed to install the menu version of the Homebrew Channel, and that's where i've stopped.

Now most guides are telling my to format my system to remove my Nintendo ID before I get the stuff to downgrade, but I need to know what is going to happen when I do that. Will I loose saves for all my 3DS games or just the ones downloaded on the system? How about the ones downloaded on the SD card? Will I still be able to play the games saved on my SD card later or will I have to redownload them? Will I even BE able to redownload them all (I mean, I still have all my ambassador stuff on here)?

I'll probably have other questions later too heh, sorry.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you guys are likely pretty sick of people asking for help by now, but i'm very new to modifying my 3DS like this and I need some help. Assume that I know nothing, seriously, treat me like a grandparent.

Okay, so after a few attempts I managed to install the menu version of the Homebrew Channel, and that's where i've stopped.

Now most guides are telling my to format my system to remove my Nintendo ID before I get the stuff to downgrade, but I need to know what is going to happen when I do that. Will I loose saves for all my 3DS games or just the ones downloaded on the system? How about the ones downloaded on the SD card? Will I still be able to play the games saved on my SD card later or will I have to redownload them? Will I even BE able to redownload them all (I mean, I still have all my ambassador stuff on here)?

I'll probably have other questions later too heh, sorry.
nothing bad happened save/game wise for me when i downgraded but if you are worried about then you can back up the sd card to save any saves but the whole unlink thing is silly it is done in case your 3ds bricks then you can simply link it to a new eds and redownload things but if you did not unlink all it would take is a call to nintendo if needed

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I type up my post, let me define some terms:
NAND = Your 3DS operating system (OS)
SysNAND = OS running from internal hardware
EmuNAND = OS emulated from SD card

Your SysNAND stores and reads all of your non-cart games/saves/themes/updates from the SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<id1> folder. When you "Format EmuNAND with EmuNAND9/Gateway Menu," you are literally copying your SysNAND over to your SD card in a hidden section (partition) of your SD card.

So when you boot EmuNAND, it will also read from <id1>

However, having both EmuNAND and SysNAND reading from <id1> causes bugs, like a gift-unwrapping issue where all the games wrap themselves back up every time you reboot. This can be troublesome if you have many games/apps on your home menu.

To fix this, we use a program called TinyFormat to format SysNAND, so it changes its internal ID. Instead of reading from SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<id1>, it will now read SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<id2>, while EmuNAND still reads from <id1>

tl;dr if you format emunand before you format sysnand, your games/saves will exist on EmuNAND: You just have to run it with a custom firmware (CFW) like RxTools or Cakes.

----

If you wish to recover your NNID, do this:

1) Backup emunand and backup its folder in sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/ (easier method: add a _ or something at the end of the folder so you don't have to copy it off your SD card, OR cut/paste it to the root of your SD card)
2) Go in emunand system settings, pick system format
3) Let it do its thing
4) Log into your NNID on newly formatted emunand
5) Restore emunand backup and put its folder back in sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/

Note that in step 4, you cannot actually access eShop unless you update. If you are on O3DS, update to 10.3 via system settings while in CFW. Make sure you are in EmuNAND before doing this. Also, closing out of system settings will boot you back into SysNAND OFW (Official Firmware)

On N3DS, you must spoof eShop via NVER/TIGER. Follow this tutorial to achieve eShop access: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/page-22#post-5944449

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,
Reactions: YyAoMmIi

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am on an O3DS
Okay, so what i'm understanding from you guys is, DON'T unlink my Nintendo ID or delete stuff from my SD. Instead, downgrade, install the custom firmware so I get an emuNAND, run the TinyFormat thing on my hardware NAND, then follow steps 1-5 to get access to all my previously downloaded games back?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on an O3DS
Okay, so what i'm understanding from you guys is, DON'T unlink my Nintendo ID or delete stuff from my SD. Instead, downgrade, install the custom firmware so I get an emuNAND, run the TinyFormat thing on my hardware NAND, then follow steps 1-5 to get access to all my previously downloaded games back?
Actually, if you haven't downgraded yet, you might as well just sign out of your NNID on 10.3 before doing any of this.

Once you've got EmuNAND on 10.3, log back in

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, if you haven't downgraded yet, you might as well just sign out of your NNID on 10.3 before doing any of this.

Once you've got EmuNAND on 10.3, log back in
heh, you can see why i'm getting confused now I think.

So that means format my 3DS now yes? And I should get everything on my SD card back once I have fullsy set up and signed in to the correct emuNAND with my Nintendo ID?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heh, you can see why i'm getting confused now I think.

So that means format my 3DS now yes? And I should get everything on my SD card back once I have fullsy set up and signed in to the correct emuNAND with my Nintendo ID?
Sort of. Make sure you sign out of your NNID before you downgrade. Make absolute sure you format EmuNAND with EmuNAND9 before you format sysnand, then back up SysNAND in EmuNAND9 (you can move it off the card, keep the NAND.bin somewhere safe on your computer) and format sysnand with TinyFormat

Then, you can use RxTools to boot EmuNAND and update it to 10.3. Reboot again, launch RxTools, and then sign in your NNID.

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sort of. Make sure you sign out of your NNID before you downgrade. Make absolute sure you format EmuNAND with EmuNAND9 before you format sysnand, then back up SysNAND in EmuNAND9 (you can move it off the card, keep the NAND.bin somewhere safe on your computer) and format sysnand with TinyFormat

Then, you can use RxTools to boot EmuNAND and update it to 10.3. Reboot again, launch RxTools, and then sign in your NNID.
Okay, i'm going to lay out what I think is the correct way for me to go about this now, if you see any mistakes please let me know :)

Put sysupdater folder (orjust the files?) in SD:\3DS\
Put updates folder in SD:\
Load Homebrew Channel and run the sysupdater, hope it actually works and downgrades me
Reinstall the Menuhax Homebrew Channel by using the browser
---------------------------------------------------
Then follow these instructions https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/

1. Place the rxTools folder and boot.cfg in your SD card's root. Place firmware.bin in /rxTools/sys/. Place 3DS/EmuNAND9 into the 3ds/ folder. Don't do anything with CTRBootManager's boot.3dsx yet.
2. Open the Homebrew Launcher
3. Open EmuNAND9
4. (Optional, but highly reccomended) EmuNAND Manager Options > Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin (In case you ever end up needing a hardmod)
5. Eject your SD card by pressing SELECT and physically ejecting
6. Back up all the contents of your SD card to your PC and place NAND.bin somewhere secure away from the backup
7. Insert your SD card back in the console and press B
8. Select Complete EmuNAND Setup and follow the instructions. THIS WILL FORMAT YOUR ENTIRE SD CARD.
9. Switch the console off and restore your SD card backup
10. Rename the Homebrew Menu's boot.3dsx to HBL8.3dsx and drop CTRBootManager's boot.3dsx into your SD card root
11. Menuhax should now lead you to the CTRBootManager screen. From here, you can launch rxTools or the Homebrew Launcher.
12. Hold L while opening rxTools to enter the rxTools Menu
13. Advanced > Install FBI > emuNAND > Check TMD. Note down the Region and the Version.
14. From the rxTools .zip, go to release/Tools/fbi_injection and drag and drop fbi_inject.app and fbi_inject.tmd from the corresponding region and TMD to your SD card root.
15. Go back to rxTools Menu.
16. Advanced > Install FBI > emuNAND > Inject FBI.
16a. Hit 'Keep' or 'Delete', it doesn't matter.
17. Open rxTools.
18. You're done: You now have a linked EmuNAND.
----------------------------
Then install tinyformat
Format my system NAND with it
Open up the emu NAND again
Update it and sign in with my Nintendo ID
I should now be able to use the stuff installed on my SD card and redownload the few things that were saved on the 3DS internal memory
Does that look good? ^_^;

Last edited by nomad_man,

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, i'm failing at th first hurdle here.

titleException:
main.cpp:150: Result: 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA file info!

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, hello again, i'm back ^_^;

I started from the beginning again this morning with a different download of sysUpdate and it actually worked (after about 2 hours of trying) and I followed the guide from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/
all the way up to step 18, now I have linked NANDs.

Now I need to know what to do with TinyFormat.

The TinyFormat guide on that page tells me how to install and run it in my emuNAND, but the posters on this page told me to run it on my sysNAND so that I would be able to attach my Nintendo ID to the emuNAND. Does this matter? If I follow the guide to the letter and run TinyFormat on my emuNAND will my Nintendo ID still work in the emu, giving me acces to all the stuff on my SD card again? If not, and it HAS to be the sysNAND that I run TinyFormat on, how do I go about that?

I'm pretty confused right now heh. And also the only way to get in to my emuNAND right now is to load up rxTools every time yes?

nomad_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update, again (I might as well since nobody seems to care lol).

I managed to fomat the sysNAND and linked my Nintendo ID to my emuNAND. Nothing I had installed on my SD card shows up in the home menu, so I now have a ton of wasted space on my SD card that I don't know how to get rid of, AND I have to redownload everything.

To anyone else trying this, I recommend you just delete everything off your SD card before you start.
Edit: I deleted a huge folder from my \Nintendo 3DS\ directory and that has cleared up the space, while (assumedly) not hurting any of my new installs. That MIGHT have been the old game installs.

Save yourself the headache heh, just delete it all and redownload :P

Last edited by nomad_man,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr