haohmaru6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll tell you why you wussed out. You didn't have anything prepared. Further, to tell her something that important ON THE PHONE is probably a bad idea. You need to see her reaction, her facial expression, her body language.

Again, like I said before, if you are not FULLY PREPARED to handle COMPLETE AND TOTAL REJECTION and not get all bent out of shape about it, then you should keep your feelings to yourself. If you CAN handle it, then it helps to have a backup plan of what you will do if she is not interested.

Based on what you have said thus far, it really seems like you do not want to handle rejection (not that I blame you, who really WANTS to be rejected?)

Apparently, you do NOT know how she feels about you. Maybe you should start with that. Ask her how she feels about you. Read more than just what she says, read her body language, facial expressions, how she responds, etc. Based on that, maybe you can find out what you need to know. If it is NOT what you hoped, it is easier to change the subject, or go find somewhere else to go.

I suspect that, on some level, you do not believe she will reciprocate, which also may be why you "wussed out" as you so gracefully put it.

Have a back up plan man. If it's a romantic relationship you are after, she doesn't have to be the only one you're looking at. Start looking for someone you have things in common with. I know it's easy to get attached to and want to get closer to females you know and are familiar with. But also consider that they change their minds SO OFTEN and are most of the time NOT AWARE OF WHAT THEY WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE, that it could drive you insane.

So be aware of what kind of relationship YOU want, and if she doesn't fit with that then look elsewhere. That's the best position you can approach something like this from.

Good luck man.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. You will never be prepared for rejection, and if you ever will be, then the time to find a relationship will be far gone.

The only thing you have to do is try. Just stop caring. She probably won't be your last, so there's no big deal? She says no, you go home. She says yes, you have a girlfriend. Which, honestly, starts off as a lovely cash-leech. Then turns into a really good friend. Then turns into a really good friend with sex.

Human relationships are incredibly simple when you strip them of all the flare we give them in our culture.

There's never going to be a right time to do it, no time will make her decision different.

All you can do is try your best.

If you can't do it, you don't get the reward.

Same as anything else.

grubbymitts

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
monkat said:
Human relationships are incredibly simple when you strip them of all the flare we give them in our culture.

You hit the nail right on the head there. Human relationships are simple. You see pretty women walking with gorillas every day. If you're not good looking enough to "pull a bird" whenever you want then you have to delve into your other talents (and, really, if a girl only goes for looks then she ain't worth it anyway - there's more to a relationship than cuddles, snogs and bonks). If you have a sense of humour and can make someone laugh whilst poking fun at yourself a little, it's a sure way to get into that person's head more, which will result in them thinking of you more and more and developing more than friendly feelings.

But you can't be a wuss. You need to make people you develop feelings for aware of them otherwise your self doubt will just eat you from within and if rejection does come IT HURTS LIKE HELL.

And if all else fails, try the Boomhauer/King of the Hill approach: He's not ugly, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to always have a woman hanging off his arm. In one episode, he tries to teach Bobby how to pick up girls, and he claims that there is a secret to getting women, and makes Bobby vow not to tell anyone. They drive to the mall and enter a shoe store, where Boomhauer asks a random woman for a date...and is immediately rejected. It turns out that the secret is to ask as many women out as possible. He's shot down over 20 times before he gets a date.

haohmaru6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Boy, and I thought _I_ was jaded.

But seriously man, none of us are getting any younger. The sooner you find out, the sooner you can either move forward or move on.

Of course please note the OP hasn't written any updates.

This could mean he told her and she DOES reciprocate, in which case he is in total euphoria now.

It could also mean he told her, she shot him down, and he is now he's tracking all of us down who gave him any advice, to leave a bag of flaming poop on our doorstep.

OR it could mean he changed his mind, and may or may not ever say anything to her.

Quantum theory suggest that all of these things (and more,) all happened simultaneously, and will not collapse into a single possibility until we can observe (i.e. he posts.)

Of course now that I think about it, why is this guy's situation so interesting anyway? There's got to be at least 9 unique people that have posted here. Maybe we've all been in a situation where we have feelings for a girl and wanted to tell her, but hadn't?

Course you only really do that when you are young and / or don't know what you want (or DON'T want) out of life. I wonder how many of us posting here are in any kind of relationship anyway?

That's the internetz for ya...

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
haohmaru6 said:
Quantum theory suggest that all of these things (and more,) all happened simultaneously, and will not collapse into a single possibility until we can observe (i.e. he posts.)

Of course now that I think about it, why is this guy's situation so interesting anyway? There's got to be at least 9 unique people that have posted here. Maybe we've all been in a situation where we have feelings for a girl and wanted to tell her, but hadn't?

Course you only really do that when you are young and / or don't know what you want (or DON'T want) out of life. I wonder how many of us posting here are in any kind of relationship anyway?

That's the internetz for ya...

Started goin' off-topic abouuuut there.

I think that the reason that people are "interested" in this thread is just chance. One person bumped the thread, another saw it, and we felt like we may as well see it through? Or not, for a lot of people.

So...you're saying that old people are unable to be too nervous to get someone's number? You know "I'm too old for that kind of thing" is typically just an excuse so they don't have to deal with the stress that comes along with it...

I would guesstimate about half of us are in relationships currently. I'd say maybe one or two people (other than the OP) have never been in one (given the average age of a temper who comes to this section). Also you said a relationship of any kind...so...everyone. Everyone is in a relationship, even in the most extreme cases of solitude, everyone has a relationship with the OP as a replier.

THAT. is the internetz for ya.

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
haohmaru6 said:

It is disappointing/frustrating when people abandon their blogs/topics. We want to see the result!

It certainly is more interesting than the latest NDS releases and most of the topics in the other sections, in my opinion. Obviously, we have. It is part of life.

I wanted to be (with one specific person only).

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Just remember. You have, at the very LEAST a 50% chance of total rejection. Now don't let this put you off, just be prepared. I don't want to see your next blog post about how you're going to stick your head in an oven
tongue.gif

Just get in there, tell her how you feel, just don't overdo it. You might be gushing with feelings right now, so just give her the condensed version and go from there
smile.gif

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
logical thinker said:
It is disappointing/frustrating when people abandon their blogs/topics. We want to see the result!

It certainly is more interesting than the latest NDS releases and most of the topics in the other sections, in my opinion. Obviously, we have. It is part of life.

No, I haven't abandoned this, and I definitely won't, given the surprising amount of replies I've gotten.

I'm telling her tomorrow night, or Sunday afternoon if I don't see her tomorrow night. It's definitely going to happen this time.

If I wuss out again, or don't post in this topic by Monday afternoon (let's say... 12 PM EST), then I invite any mod reading this to ban me from GBAtemp. Or jack up my warn level, whatever works.

How's that for closure?

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hachibei said:
logical thinker said:

No, I haven't abandoned this, and I definitely won't, given the surprising amount of replies I've gotten.

I'm telling her tomorrow night, or Sunday afternoon if I don't see her tomorrow night. It's definitely going to happen this time.

If I wuss out again, or don't post in this topic by Monday afternoon (let's say... 12 PM EST), then I invite any mod reading this to ban me from GBAtemp. Or jack up my warn level, whatever works.

How's that for closure?
You're lucky this isn't Facebook
wink.gif

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ProtoKun7 said:
If your internet connection fails until Tuesday then you'll be in for a surprise.
On the off chance that happens, I regret nothing.

QUOTE(Retal @ May 14 2010, 02:53 PM) If you've known her for 10 years and she's never said anything to you then you're in for a let down, and quite rightly too.
You're right, I'm wimpy scum and nobody will ever love me. Bawwww.

Was that the response you were looking for?

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hachibei said:

How's that for closure?
I am satisfied.

But don't put too much pressure on yourself. Try to relax, try to not think too much about it, distract yourself... Also remember to not be too nice.

haohmaru6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Remember, if she looks at you puzzled, say "Just kidding!"

Naw seriously man, I hope she is open to your feelings about her. 7 years is a long time to know somebody. Her haven't recently broke up may be a good thing. When someone has broken up and their feelings are in flux, there is an opportunity for them to change their point of view about people in general, and just might let in someone they hadn't consciously considered.

I really hope it works out for ya man. Remember to read her as best as you can.

Also remember if it doesn't turn out as you hope, it's not the end of the world. My relationship with my girlfriend now is proof, at least to me, that anyone CAN find someone they can connect with. If she's not open to it, don't let that stop you from finding someone special. Life is too short not to be happy.

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One hour left until I have a chance of telling her. I say "a chance" because I'm about to leave for a function that she may or may not be attending. If she's not there, then I'll have to create my own chance tomorrow, which will make things that much harder.

Goddamn it I'm nervous. Mostly because I don't know how she'll respond, partly because her ex might also be at this function (he's a bit of a meathead, responds to things by throwing punches).

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Even if things don't end up the way I'd like them to, you guys have made this whole ordeal that much easier to deal with.

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Man, try to relax! Try to be spontaneous, positive, in a good mood. Try to think of it as no big deal.
I know that it is easy to say these things. I wish I could explain it to you or teach you some relaxation technique. I am taking pills and going to therapy and I am MUCH more relaxed, in good mood and spontaneous, nowadays. (I am just giving my example, not saying that you need those.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet