Gaming I'm buying pre-owned games...

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pre-owned games are cheaper than brand new ones. I bought a pre-owned Sims 2 and when I borrowed my cousin's disc (original), I hardly saw a difference. Should I buy a game that's pre-owned than a brand spanking new one? Well the only advantage I know about it is that you can save money (obviously...).

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rjbr2000 said:
Pre-owned games are cheaper than brand new ones. I bought a pre-owned Sims 2 and when I borrowed my cousin's disc (original), I hardly saw a difference. Should I buy a game that's pre-owned than a brand spanking new one? Well the only advantage I know about it is that you can save money (obviously...).

It wasn't so bad when games were cartridges because they weren't damaged as easily...

Really though it's up to you, if the disc looks clean and no crazy scratches I'd go for it, unless the price difference isn't worth it. For example, I've seen PS3 used games for sale and they're usually like 5 bucks less than new. In that case, I'd just get the new one.

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree with ozzy. At Gamestop, I've seen used games for $5 less than the new ones. Those are not worth it in my opinion. But if you can find a good deal on used games, go for it.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Cost is the only advantage, and that's fine given how much games cost over here. Preowned games are fine, the manuals are sometimes a little scruffy but that doesn't matter really. The price is good and if you buy from somewhere like Gamestation they're more than happy to exchange it if you get it home and find out it doesn't work. I've never had a damaged disc though (turns out my PS2 is fussy with certain discs so the one I took back was probably fine, whoops). And with DS carts you don't even have to worry about scratches
smile.gif

Just be sure to check prices online first; brand new games online sometimes beat GAME's preowned DS prices. You know there's something wrong when titles go for £24 in the preowned bin.
blink.gif
Their January sale was quite good though.

leonheart_a

Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:
Oh, and why not just use a flashcart?

exactly what i was gonna say!

but if you dont want to pirate etc then fair enough, if its cheaper then go for it. i do all the time. and like someone said earlier if it doesnt work then you can just go back to the shop and you should be able to get it exchanged

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you misunderstand.

Buy the games and use the flashcart. That way you're still supporting the developers, but don't risk a getting a bum unit or damaging the original (in addition to the other benefits that come with using a flashcart).

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:

I do have a flash cart (DSTT) but I'm against piracy as well. I know that you can get games for free with flash carts but it's also better to have original ones. Some people use flash carts to test games and if they like it, they will buy it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rjbr2000 said:
Urza said:

I do have a flash cart (DSTT) but I'm against piracy as well. I know that you can get games for free with flash carts but it's also better to have original ones. Some people use flash carts to test games and if they like it, they will buy it.

Urza
Buy the games and use the flashcart. That way you're still supporting the developers, but don't risk a getting a bum unit or damaging the original (in addition to the other benefits that come with using a flashcart).

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah buying pre-owned doesnt support the developers directly.
on the other side of the cookie, it kind of does, places like GAME and Gamestop wouldn't be a viable business if it werent for pre-owned. The mark up on brand new games just isn't high enough.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying a pre-owned game actually does still support the company. Although you're buying off a person, but that person has the original which was bought from the company. The company may have sold one less copy because of buying pre-owned games, but it's better than nothing.

So yeah, I have pre-owned games too. If you're an anti-piracy person and you want to save even more, you could always borrow from your friends as well. But like everyone else says, only buy it if there's a difference in price for the pre-owned. If the difference isn't that big, it's better off buying a new copy.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
I think you misunderstand.

The person that made the game gets zip. That's life. If it helps a store survive, it makes it possible for the store to sell games. That's life.

Buying used, and then using a rom download, means you have done "the right thing" as far as downloading is concerned, and the right thing as far as your wallet is concerned.

I think a lot of used DS games are probably safe purchases in that the game is likely not damaged. I have a friend that buys agressively, plays aggressively and then turfs the cart for the next one. Chances are this is common with DS carts. A cart that was rapidly played for a couple of weeks will likely be in a great deal better shape than an optical disc. People NEVER treat their optical discs well (don't say you do, I have yet to meet one that does).

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I buy second hand games, play them and sell them to someone else.
In the process I don't lose much money (just some effort). I think it's cheaper than renting, ironically. Buy a game for $20, play it for a month, then sell it for $15.

coolie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
I buy second hand games, play them and sell them to someone else.
In the process I don't lose much money (just some effort). I think it's cheaper than renting, ironically. Buy a game for $20, play it for a month, then sell it for $15.
You're not going to get $15 for a game that you bought for $20. It's probably more like $10 or less.

If you buy them at gamestop, they have one of those card where you pay $15 for a 1 year subscription and 12 game informer magazines.
With the card you can save 10% on used games.
And when you buy the game, you have a week to return it if you didn't like the game.

If it's a new game, once you open it, it's yours.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And for the record, I wasn't necessarily referring to just used games when I made my comment. It was directed to retail moralfags as well.

Gian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I buy second hand games, too. And Jalaneme is right, most of the classics can only be found this way.
Just don't sell your games to places like EBGames, Gamestop, etc.
You're better off selling them to your little sucker cousins. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1