I'm a messed up person.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just want to say, this is my first (and possibly only) blog.
biggrin.gif

Well onto the actual message:
For some reason, I have an obsession with breaking things then fixing them. It gives off a small thrill-like feeling. And I had this 'obsession' since I was a little kid. Why I bring this up, you might ask? Well:
I nearly fucked up my computer today. I opened up my (custom 6-yr-old) PC because I was looking for a way to make it quieter (In the end, I made it 2-3dB quieter because I found out the case fans were reversed. The exhaust was coming out the front, rather than the back. But that's not the point of my story). So I dusted the inside of the computer. Then I decided, "Maybe I'll try re-inserting stuff", so then I started to unplug my graphics card, my RAM, my CPU, and everything in the PCI slots. I then put everything back together then found out the problem (the reversed fans). So I fixed the problem, put my computer back together, plugged it in, and turned it on.
First thing that happens: Nothing happened (except for my HDD read light staying solid and my DVD drive lights flashing erratically). I then turned it off, turned it back on. Nothing. Tried unplugging the PC then plugging it back in. Still no dice. So I unplugged it, checked the stuff I took out earlier, and tried again. And still nothing.
Then I found out that it was my CPU. When I removed it, the thermal compound caused the CPU to stick to the heatsink (yeah, I should change that). And it almost ripped off the lock on the CPU socket. So I unstuck the CPU, placed it in properly, put the PC back together, then turned it on. Still the same problem. I looked at the CPU again. Seems I bent some of the pins on the CPU (that was kinda dumb of me). So I tried to straighten out the pins, then tried again. The computer doesn't even power on anymore. I almost gave up hope.

Then I checked the CPU again. There was some pins that managed to bend after I straightened them out and put them back in. There was also some dust on the CPU too. Because I pretty much lost hope, I just lazily blew the socket then tried to push the pins with my fingernail. The pins weren't straight, I even managed to fold some pins in half. But I put the computer back together, plugged it in, and turned it on.
Result: GREAT SUCCESS
happy.gif

I somehow managed to get my computer working, make it quieter, clean up the inside of my computer, AND get the 'thrill' effect. It's funny, cause it's like I'm obsessed with breaking things, but I don't break them on purpose (I break them by being stupid
tongue.gif
)

Just wondering, are there any silly things you guys get thrills from? Or has any of you had a similar experience (doesn't have to relate to computers)?

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm similar. I like taking stuff apart and putting it back together(I'm in engineering at Mac
tongue.gif
), but when it comes to my computer, the cpu is the last thing I wanna touch. It's the easiest thing to mess up with the least effort. And one of these days i have to take off the northbridge heatsink and file down some screws because there is poor contact(thank you asus for that) and i'm even too scared to do that. Be careful with expensive things because one day you'll take it apart, wont be able to fix it and your heart will sink...and that hurts.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And that's why you have to be extra-careful with CPUs
wink.gif

I remember killing one of my spare Pentium 4s (478) by bending and breaking one pin
rofl2.gif

It wasn't that much of a loss, I still have some around
unsure.gif

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I adore cleaning up my consoles, peripherals and games and then tidy them and stacking them. It's a little thrill of my life... Everyone has a thrill simmilar to yours and mine... It's normal
wink.gif

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Man, I love opening up my PSX and just fiddling with the laser adjuster when necessary.
That, and taking out the battery of my DS/DSi/SP/Micro and looking at the back.
One day, I'm going to build my own computer. It's the one thing I've always wanted to do. I'll probably build it with a better method to discharge myself (static) than what Largo does.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I love taking things apart, and see how they are engineered etc. the boring part is always putting them back together. I already explored the system so nothing new comes on my path than. (Except some fiddling
tongue.gif
)

Currently every single piece of hardware I own has been dissambled, and re-assembled. (Wii/DS/Gamecube/Snes/Gameboy Pocket/x360/Pc(alot)/Laptop and more)
Mostly added case mods later, or flashing/modchips ofcourse.
wink.gif

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Julian Sidewind said:
Be careful with expensive things because one day you'll take it apart, wont be able to fix it and your heart will sink...and that hurts.
Well, it was a socket 754 Sempron 2600 (1.6GHz). It isn't really that expensive...in fact, I just found the exact same CPU for $2 on eBay.

rook2King

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My dad gave an old pc that he was throwing out once to me when i was a kid so i decided to take it apart. You can't possibly imagine what happened to it i was pretty messed up, i took it apart, broke all the pins on the cpu, and dipped parts of the mother board [that i could take off] in acid. It was a heaping pile of melted plastic. Hell for a computer.
evil.gif

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did that with my sister's DS one time, just to see what it was like inside. When I was into Bakugan toys, I loved to take them apart and put them back together in different colors, like If I has a red bakugan and a blue bakugan, I would switch the parts
smileipb2.png

azntiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm obsessed with pens. I always find strange pens and my first reaction is figure out how it works.
Either I'm taking it apart or just clicking it madly. That's the thrill of my life.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill