Homebrew IkuReader, an e-book reader

craiga

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Great book reader, thanks. So many people are using DSi XL's as book readers. One more thing needed is full epub support and then it's a world beater. Been using DS Libris, but that suffers from the Guru Meditation Error glitch and does not seem to be being updated.

chintoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Since Taellon somehow managed to find txt books with only "bare" newline symbols, I've had to add support for them. There were compaints before but I though those people tried to open configuration files and such. Now I am curious if it had caused trouble to anyone else actually trying to open a book.

Kitanode

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,
IKU Reader is definitely my fav ebook reader for the DS.
Is there any plans to add compatibility with any other file types in the future?

Also, does anyone else think that the updates are too frequent? I know i don't have to download every version but i just think it would be better having fewer releases with more updates contained within each release.

sylviebi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Chintoi,

My main purpose for buying a DSiXL and a DSTTI gold card was to read ebooks. Yep, I'm a bookworm. The fact that I can use it to play games was just a small added bonus. I figured why buy an ebook reader at an extra cost when I could go this route... I've been using the DSReader and DSLibris apps. I don't like one more than other. I'd use whichever one I'd happen to have the file type for. Both were adequate.

As for this app... well, this is a great ereader. You're not a programmer you say? I say, since you did this, you are now :-)

My favourite feature is all the different options to change the fonts: colour (background and font), size, focus, type... Everyone has his or her own preferences (as I am sure you've noticed with your request for input) and you've made it possible for us to adjust it to our own. Awesome! Thanks.

You've got 3 files types to choose from fb2, txt and epub. I think this is more than enough seeing that I've had no problems changing pretty much every type out there to either txt or epub. I've even written a little word macro that fixes the word wrap issues I've come across when changing file types from pdf...

The search feature is slow but whatever this is not a selling point for me.

I do want to mention that the built in light feature did not work. Pressing select and vol. up/down did not work either. I've noticed this on other homebrews... Whatever, I managed to quickly get the brightness issue fixed by changing the colours to something that was easier on the eyes.

If ever you want to pick up the writing again, here are a few suggestions for making it that much more awesome and consequently ending my search for that perfect ereader app ;-)

-Page numbering with the ability to jump to a page (go to) or being able to scroll with the progress bar that you have. I read my books on my computer and DSi and find it cumbersome to press next page to get to the page I left off at on my computer...
-Dictionary so that I can select a word and look up the meaning...

Thanks for all the hard work you've done so far. It's greatly appreciated.
Sylvie

sylviebi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Chintoi,

Ooops! Can you believe I forgot to mention something seeing that I pretty much wrote a book on my last post... lol

The soft reset does not work. Again, whatever, I've seen this on other homebrews... just saying.

Thanks again,
Sylvie

craiga

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sylvie,
the brightness is a Dsi / DSi XL issue, you can't adjust it in Libris either, you've got to adjust it in settings before starting Libris or Iku reader.

chintoi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
QUOTE said:
Also, does anyone else think that the updates are too frequent
Today I could spare 10 minutes and fixed search, and of course I haven't test it. But you are right, I'm not great at postponing for nothing.
sylviebi DS's screens are really hard on the eyes when reading a lot.
Images and dictionary are pretty much impossible due to DS memory restrictions.
QUOTEPage numbering with the ability to jump to a page (go to) or being able to scroll with the progress bar that you have.
Anyone has an idea how to make it clearer that the giant progress bar in the bookmarks screen is just for that? An even more giant "tap me!" sign somehow doesn't sound right.

sylviebi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Craiga,

LOL I never thought of doing it that way... dugh to me... Thanks!

Hi Chintoi,

I kinda thought that the dictionary thing was too much for the ds. It was worth a try :-)

OMG I can't believe I didn't see that GIANT bar in the bookmarks page. I must be blind. At the very least, I wasn't too observant!

That is awesome! WOW!

My search is over than. I have found a ds ereader that is superb.

You are the best.

Thanks for your time,
Sylvie

5Celcious

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,
I was just wondering what Gamma -/+ was for. And did you take away the indent -/+ in the new release? I kinda liked it
smile.gif

I would love it if you could scroll through the files with the d-pad as well, not just using the touch screen.

BTW. this is the BEST ds ebook reader out there
biggrin.gif

lol, you made all the buttons round O_O

Kitanode

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Sylvie,
the brightness is a Dsi / DSi XL issue, you can't adjust it in Libris either, you've got to adjust it in settings before starting Libris or Iku reader.

In case some of you don't know, there is a neat trick that lets you change the brightness when using a DSiXL (and maybe a DSi but i havn't tried one) without having to access the menu options.

You need to press down the select button while pressing the volume buttons up and down.

Go on... try it right now.

You can do this while playing any game or using any software or homebrew. It's a great wee shortcut

craiga

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kitanode said:
QUOTE said:
Sylvie,

In case some of you don't know, there is a neat trick that lets you change the brightness when using a DSiXL (and maybe a DSi but i havn't tried one) without having to access the menu options.

You need to press down the select button while pressing the volume buttons up and down.

Go on... try it right now.

You can do this while playing any game or using any software or homebrew. It's a great wee shortcut

I did........and it does, that will save a lot of restarting.
For those of us that use our dsi XL's as book readers, thank you

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Haven't tried 0.65 yet, but when changing fonts (on 0.64 and earlier) and it cycles to the last font, it generate a 'Can't load font' error, other than that, it is the best eReader on the NDS.

I understand that the DS screen and memory limitations, but any chance we get to see images in a future version or book covers?

Thanks for all your work!

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
Chintoi, it seems that some people would like to have arg support for ikureader if you are up for it.
http://gbatemp.net/t285447-bagplug?view=fi...t&p=3553355

If you aren't, maybe you could upload the latest source (the last source upload was v0.02 or something IIRC xD) and someone else could try to add it in.

+1 vote. I think that will be awesome to load a ebook directly from the newest menu system with arg support, yeah
yay.gif

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chintoi,

Thank you so much for fixing the search, it works great now.

A dictionary feature would be superb if you're up to it. I read a lot of older books so some of the words are a bit out of date.

Also the ability to take notes on bookmarks, maybe?

This is the nicest, and cleanest looking homebrew I've ever had the pleasure of using, please keep up the great work.

P.s. Unless you wish to slow down or stop, please continue the frequent updates, they're very much welcome, no one is being forced to update >_>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show