Hacking IGN finds numerous issues with DS Lite quality

zragnarok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://ds.ign.com/articles/721/721201p1.html

I am really shocked because iafter reading that report, i discovered that my Lite has 2 of the problems listed, the cracked hinge and the yellow screen. This is ON TOP of my right shoulder button not clicking properly. My girlfriend also has the cracked hinge and her right shoulder is weak (but not as bad as mine), What the hell Nintendo? Is there a new revision coming out cause this is unacceptable.

MrHellFire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite happy with my Lite. I only have the yellowish tint and it's completely unnoticeable in-game. It bothers me a tiny bit when I first boot up my Lite, sure, but when you're off playing awesome games on it, you forget completely about it and just enjoy yourself.

zragnarok

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite happy with my Lite. I only have the yellowish tint and it's completely unnoticeable in-game. It bothers me a tiny bit when I first boot up my Lite, sure, but when you're off playing awesome games on it, you forget completely about it and just enjoy yourself.

Not really; because both my old DS phat and my PSP have no quality issues AT ALL (DS Phat is chunky but it is SOLID). Its quite disspointing to see that Nintendo rushed out an "imrpoved product" with so many defects

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only issue I have is the shifting touch screen; bottom right hand corner... you have to push it reasonably hard with your thumb to notice it though, so it's not really an issue.

Oh and I have a European DS too; I think Nintendo must have picked up on the issues with the D-Pad, hinge etc... a while back as I don't recall hearing any Europeans with these problems. So I think if this is the case all future DS's should have these issues sorted out by now.

Actually there is another issue... in that my top screen is at a slight, very slight angle; the black border around the screen, yeah. Well it's about a pixel height higher (if that) on the left side of the sceen than the right at the top, if that makes sense.
I probably caused this when I dropped the system mind you... I don't think it's a factory defect! Again it's very, very hard to notice and doesn't bother me.

Other than that, my DS is fine and I'm more than happy with it, if you havn't got a DS lite yet then don't let the flaws put you off; they're mostly cosmetic and if they do bother you Nintendo or your gamestore will exchange the unit for you. It's a great little machine and I wouldn't dream of going back to my phat old DS.
happy.gif

GBAer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My Faults consist of...
1. Yellow tint
2. Badly fitting screens (gaps and notches around the frames)
3. Faulty Left shoulder button (unresponsive, needs to be pushed hard for it to work)

Thats why I'm taking it back for a replacment today.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
my lite is in awesome shape. has no issues other rthan not having a g6 lite in it.

have to admit though, that the first thing i noticed about the ds lite was how "cheap" it felt compared to the ds or gba sp.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In other news, IGN continues to try and bring news that will keep them relevant in the minds of gamers. Seriously, why do people even bother with them, they're worse than your average gaming magazine, and that's saying something.

Nothing like using the power of the internet to make a problem seem more extensive than it really is.

I've got an enamel navy with zero issues. Must be quality control at a certain production plant turning out less than ok models.

mr_ds_bee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im not surprised..

I have both a black and white ds lite i got from gamestation.. the white one, simply awesome (all except that the entire hinge section (inc shoulder buttons) moves slightly when opening).
And the black one (with its far sturdier hinge) the right shoulder button was very unresponsive.
Nice guys at gamestation swapped my black ds lite for another, but the right shoulder button was even WORSE!!
Now i got a perfect black console.

All except they both have quieter sound compared to ds phat.. but you know i think that was intentional
wink.gif

I think possibly nintendo may of rushed shipping out the units because of the theft. Because the amount of faulty ds lites seems to be around that amount.
Who knows.

Maybe we are getting lumbered with fake chinese ds lites hahaha. I recently purchased two sony memory stick pro duos (2gb each) for wel under £60. They are absolutely awesome, a bit slow on the read/write when you transfer files onto the card via pc. But at 100mbs per minute its not TOO bad.

Im just waiting for some fake ds lites to appear.. THEN we will have something to moan about haha

mr_ds_bee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh and i also think people are moaning too much about it (probably lying also) because they possibly dont even HAVE a ds lite and own a psp, and just hate the nitendo people.

For example, nintendo say "1 in 5000 units could be affected". Essencially, thats how many returns they had. Which is good really.
But the amount of rumours and complaints on the NET.. Surely through sources on the net where these people moan, they would get the hint to send it to nintendo for a replacement, or back to the shop and get a new one. Its dead simple.

My theory is that people who havent even got a ds lite are just posting on random sites and finding some problems on the net and simply posting them to create some negative buzz on their behalf.
Because normal people with a problem simply return it to nintendo, and not moan. Because with nintendo i NEVER had a problem, not even with a dead pixel where i couldnt return the unit.

However, the psp is a different story. Sony would only repair the unit if it had a cluster or dead pixels.. they wouldnt replace it if they were STUCK pixels.. and they wouldnt replace for one or two dead pixels!!
Nintendo always replace the faulty units. And for me i have nothing to moan about.

SO again, i say forget about the faults, test nintendos loyalty to its customers by sending it back to them or to the store you got it from.
smile.gif

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
My black DSL is perfect
wink.gif
Wohoo!
those diagonal problems is not realy problems, it's just to get used to it... for me it took about 2 hours only ;D

Quay Cur

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.happynessplanet.com
XP
Country
United States
I dropped mine (white US) a while ago, and the hinge didn't crack even then. The only thing you could say is wrong with it is the L button. It works just fine, but if you press it on the side towards the hinge it makes an odd clicking noise that isn't the regular button click. May be a result of dropping it though. I tensed up so much I thought I levitated. It was horrifying.

antihaxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a cracked hinge, but who cares? Your dsl is not a fashion accesory, and the cracked hinge isn't going to make your ds fall apart.

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've got the cracked hinge, but its not worth getting upset about. Its not loose or squeaky or anything, its just a slight cosmetic defect. My L and R buttons are fine, and aside from the matte surfaces attracting dirt, its way more visually pleasing than the Phat DS. On the other hand, none of that matters 'cause its a game system, not a fashion accessory
yaynds.gif

Seriously though, the hinge cracks are not a big deal. Its barely noticable and has no effect other than the visible crack itself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E