Hardware If I went out today and bought a PSP at Best Buy...

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, this is 10/2/2012. If I went today to Target and bought a (PlayStation Portable 3000 Core Pack - Piano Black) what likely firmware would I get? I understand that if it was older stock it could be lower, but lets assume it's fairly new stock. I'm asking because I have been reading threads for the past 2 hours and It's pretty confusing.

So, let's say I get a really recent firmware. what are my options as far as putting CFW's on there? Is it still true at this date that certain hw 9b? can only accept temporary fix? If someone could break it down in terms of today's likely machines that are in stores that would be helpful.

Is it also true that a temporary fix means you have to run a file each time you power back on?

Guess what I'm wanting to know is.

1. Is there any chance I would buy a PSP that I couldn't hack?
2. Newer FW/HW means easier to brick, or harder to recover?
3. Temporary vs Permanent (is tempoarary really that much of a pain?)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
6.60 is the latest, and it's been out for ages, so you're most likely going to get 6.60.

Yeah 3Ks can only use temp for 6.60, but that's not nearly as big of an issue as it sounds. It only loses hacked status when you shut the system fully down, sleep mode keeps it. In addition restarting hacked mode only takes a few seconds and you don't need to hook the PSP back up to a computer or anything.

1 - No chance, all models can be hacked right now.
2 - Newer means no recovery, but modern CFWs are built with that in mind and are much safer than old ones.
3 - The sticky has some info. It's literally whether it starts up hacked or not. Only difference.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Having used the Temporary one myself, I have to say that it's not as troublesome as I thought it would have been because the prog is where your other stuff will be (well mine was at least). So at most it's like an additional 2 seconds. Just select, press, count to 5 and ta-da! You're ready to do whatever it was you wanted :P

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i ran out and bought a brand new 3000 when i got into the psp, just a few months ago. it was either do this or try to find a used one that had no issues. the more i dug around craig's list the more sense it made to just spend $30 more and get a new system. rydian's guide will make hacking it super easy, its step-by-step and the forum is here if you get stuck.

i would recommend that you spend the money and get a genuine pro duo memory card. target.com sells the sandisk gamer line (translucent shells) for a pretty good price. frys.com has the 16 gb sandisk for around $50. it seems pricey but you are paying to have better compatibility and to avoid problems later on.

8gb sandisk in translucent case from target.com: HERE
16gb sandisk from frys.com: HERE

i use the temporary 6.60 hack and its just fine. when i cold boot i need to run a quick recovery app, about 8-10 seconds later i'm back to enjoying homebrew, emulation, and ps1 back-ups. if i know i'm going to game again tomorrow, i'll just put it into sleep mode. i've left my psp in sleep mode for weeks and it has never caused an issue.

-another world

Reactions: MasterM

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses. I decided to order one from Amazon and deal with the new firmware. Like one of the posters below, it looked like a huge hasstle to try and find an older one and then deal with the fact that it would probably be all scratched up etc. I ordred it new and will use one of the guides mentioend to get homebrew running.

I did order one of those dual micro duo memory stick cards to try and get 32gb on this thing. Was that a huge mistake? I did read some posts about compatibility, so if it totally doesn't work, I'll just have to buy a 16gb memory stick and use the micro 16 gig cards in cell phones or something.

Thanks again for the replies.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses. I decided to order one from Amazon and deal with the new firmware. Like one of the posters below, it looked like a huge hasstle to try and find an older one and then deal with the fact that it would probably be all scratched up etc. I ordred it new and will use one of the guides mentioend to get homebrew running.

I did order one of those dual micro duo memory stick cards to try and get 32gb on this thing. Was that a huge mistake? I did read some posts about compatibility, so if it totally doesn't work, I'll just have to buy a 16gb memory stick and use the micro 16 gig cards in cell phones or something.

I have one of the dual adapters, and it works fine.

Granted, it's my second one - one of the slots on the original adapter didn't work. I ordered another since they're so cheap and it's fine.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

It may or may not work. Those thing don't offer good performance from my experience. Given that 32 GB memory stick duo can be had for ~$60, it might be worth it to get memory stick duo instead of adapter.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would recommend that you spend the money and get a genuine pro duo memory card. target.com sells the sandisk gamer line (translucent shells) for a pretty good price. frys.com has the 16 gb sandisk for around $50. it seems pricey but you are paying to have better compatibility and to avoid problems later on.

8gb sandisk in translucent case from target.com: HERE
16gb sandisk from frys.com: HERE

-another world

Yes, if buying a sandisk then stick with the gamer or ultra version, the standard version sandisk memory card has a very slow data transfer rate, not good for playing PSP games. I found that out the hard way. The Lexar brand is also a good memory card for PSP games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)