Hacking If I buy a CycloDS, what SDcard should I get?

TraumaHoundNDS

Trophies
Website
traumahound.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got an A-Data 8GB/Class 6 card, picked it up from NewEgg.com for about $25, works like a dream. I narrowed my search by looking specifically for an 8GB card that ran at Class 6 speed. It cut out a considerable amount of choices but I'm happy with what I bought.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
I mean my R4DS works like a charm but I have to take games off I don't play anymore because of its limited space. I was wondering what will be the best SDcard or SDHC (whatever that means) will be best for me?

I've always liked Toshiba for the simple reason all their flash memory is Made In Japan which is still generally a useful guide as to product quality to me. As they state here:
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/english/about/index.htm
"All Toshiba Flash Memory is manufactured in Japan. Toshiba Flash Memory boasts high quality and reliability that only products "Made in Japan" can deliver. They are manufactured full-time at its Yokkaichi Operations in Mie Prefecture, where all our semiconductor memory is produced."

In reality, most Made In Japan flash memory is probably manufactured in their factory (this is true of rebranded Kingston, Fujitsu, Olympus xD media and SmartMedia back in the day, too).

SDHC = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC
In reality, I use Kingston and Sandisk in addition to Toshiba in various devices. Buying Toshiba simplifies things for me. Less variables (like product manufacture origin) = less confusion!
wink.gif

Priss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
foob said:
Canonbeat234 said:
I mean my R4DS works like a charm but I have to take games off I don't play anymore because of its limited space. I was wondering what will be the best SDcard or SDHC (whatever that means) will be best for me?

I've always liked Toshiba for the simple reason all their flash memory is Made In Japan which is still generally a useful guide as to product quality to me. As they state here:
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/english/about/index.htm
"All Toshiba Flash Memory is manufactured in Japan. Toshiba Flash Memory boasts high quality and reliability that only products "Made in Japan" can deliver. They are manufactured full-time at its Yokkaichi Operations in Mie Prefecture, where all our semiconductor memory is produced."

In reality, most Made In Japan flash memory is probably manufactured in their factory (this is true of rebranded Kingston, Fujitsu, Olympus xD media and SmartMedia back in the day, too).

SDHC = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC
In reality, I use Kingston and Sandisk in addition to Toshiba in various devices. Buying Toshiba simplifies things for me. Less variables (like product manufacture origin) = less confusion!
wink.gif
You should try to read what other posts have offered in support to this thread instead of repeating what was already said... = less arrogant yah
laugh.gif

Nothing personal... Many others do it but I had to get it off my chest this time
unsure.gif

@Zero1221
You have mentioned one of the games that which most people have trouble running... TWEWY
Along with the Castlevania series and I would like to add LRRH Zombie BBQ (holylag batman) I say...
Problems include "death freezes" "lag" "frustration" and sometimes result in broken DS (ei: wall impact)

There are a few more out there, but I couldn't dig hem out.
Happy Christmas shopping
unsure.gif
I have yet to do mine...

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Priss said:
You should try to read what other posts have offered in support to this thread instead of repeating what was already said... = less arrogant yah
laugh.gif

Nothing personal... Many others do it but I had to get it off my chest this time
unsure.gif

Gee, thanks for your lesson in eloquence and politeness, I'll be sure to follow your example. I especially like the 'nothing personal' bit after bagging a post and quoting it verbatim for no apparent reason. Less arrogant was the icing on the cake. Brill!

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Votkrath said:
Get a Sandisk Ultra microSD Class 6. Comes in 2GB, 4GB and 8GB. We might see a 16GB soon as well.

Anyone point me in the right direction as to where to a reliable US online dealer to buy one of these from? Also, lemme make sure I understand the other posts...the only "major" games that have issues with higher capacity cards are the Castlevania series and The World Ends With You?

Thanks in advance for the answers
smile.gif

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TraumaHoundNDS said:
I've got an A-Data 8GB/Class 6 card, picked it up from NewEgg.com for about $25, works like a dream. I narrowed my search by looking specifically for an 8GB card that ran at Class 6 speed. It cut out a considerable amount of choices but I'm happy with what I bought.
I just bought that card as well. $23 with free shipping.
A-Data 8GB microSDHC Class 6

Much better value than the Sandisk, imo.

I've had quite a few different microSD cards, and had differing results with brands. Sandisk is usually stable, but slower than the competition. The Sandisk Ultra cards are always overpriced compared to better spec'd cards from other manufacturers.

A-Data has been pretty good, but they changed to slower specs on their 2GB microSD cards without changing the part number, which really pissed me off. They can't get away with that on microSDHC with the class system.

Kingston (J) cards have been great. No problems to report.

Bottom line is that it's always best to find a report on the exact specs of the cards, rather than relying on a brand name. Look for speed tests that report the read speed, write speed, and random access times of the memory. HD Tach is a great program for this. The lower the random access times, the better when you're dealing with NDS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, you act like if you were about 10