Hacking iEDGE Setup Guide

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iedgeguide.jpeg

Since the launch of the iEDGE back in January, I've been noticing an increasing number of forum posts, in which people have been recounting various problems and issues when trying to set up their new iEDGE cart.

Hopefully this guide will enable new users to get up and running with the minimum amount of stress and hassle. It's my little way of giving something back to the DS community.

http://www.two-screens.com/index.php/featu...edge-guide.html

Quips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I read through your guide and it is very clear! Thank you. I want to post this here, as it does pertain to the topic and I didn't want to create a new thread.

Secondly...I literally just hopped on the whole DS thing yesterday with the purchase of a used DS Lite...I know very little about the world of DS, and I only know basic information in regards to flash cards. I just purchased the iEdge, as the majority of sites I wanted to purchase from did not have the older Edge anymore. Therefore, I have a DS Lite and an iEdge...do I have to do all the steps outlined in your guide, as far as the situation of the bootstrap...or is that only for the DSi? Thanks.

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quips said:
I have a DS Lite and an iEdge...do I have to do all the steps outlined in your guide, as far as the situation of the bootstrap...or is that only for the DSi? Thanks.

Thats a really good question. I should have tested the "blank" iEDGE on a DS Lite prior to updating it. Perhaps we can help each other and I can update my guide accordingly.

First off you will not damage your iEDGE if you boot it up without flashing it first. There's a very quick/easy way to test that the iEDGE and DSL will work. Insert any microSD card(doesn't matter if its brand new or has data on it like photos) into your iEDGE and boot it up on your DS Lite. The iEDGE "might" bypass the DS lite menu. If you see the iEDGE icon then press A to run it.

Do you see this screen?

thumb_iedgenodat.JPG

If you do then you are rocking. This shows that the iEDGE is checking the memory card for the OS files. You don't have to flash it. Simply follow the guide instructions from here to install the iEDGE OS on to your memory card.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also a common error is not placing the folder named "EDGE" in the root of the SD

I blame mostly EDGE for this, for on the instructions on the back they only mention to place EDGE.dat

Quips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudereno said:
Quips said:
I have a DS Lite and an iEdge...do I have to do all the steps outlined in your guide, as far as the situation of the bootstrap...or is that only for the DSi? Thanks.

Thats a really good question. I should have tested the "blank" iEDGE on a DS Lite prior to updating it. Perhaps we can help each other and I can update my guide accordingly.

First off you will not damage your iEDGE if you boot it up without flashing it first. There's a very quick/easy way to test that the iEDGE and DSL will work. Insert any microSD card(doesn't matter if its brand new or has data on it like photos) into your iEDGE and boot it up on your DS Lite. The iEDGE "might" bypass the DS lite menu. If you see the iEDGE icon then press A to run it.

Do you see this screen?

thumb_iedgenodat.JPG

If you do then you are rocking. This shows that the iEDGE is checking the memory card for the OS files. You don't have to flash it. Simply follow the guide instructions from here to install the iEDGE OS on to your memory card.

Thanks for the response man...I should be getting my iEDGE in the mail either tomorrow or the next day. When I do I'll atempt this...I'll post back on here and let you know man.

Quips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey man...thanks for the guide it was very helpful and I got everything done within 5 minutes or so. Working just fine.

As far as having to do the bootstrap with DS Lite..I had to. It was simply blank white screens without the bootstrap step. But all of it was pretty easy to follow. Thanks again man.

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been getting a lot of emails from people with 'fake/clone" carts. To clarify the matter, I have added new close up photos of the front/back of the real iEDGE cart, as well as the packaging which displays the correct official URL.

thumb_iedgefrontx.jpeg

thumb_iedgebackx.jpeg

thumb_iedgebackbox.JPG

iEDGE Setup Guide *updated*

WantMyMTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quips said:
As far as having to do the bootstrap with DS Lite..I had to. It was simply blank white screens without the bootstrap step. But all of it was pretty easy to follow. Thanks again man.

I did not have to run the bootstrap on the iEDGE with the DS Lite...

I did however have to use the iEDGE OS v1.9 NOT the EDGE (no i) OS...when I tried to run the EDGE (no i) OS v 1.9, the card told me it could find the EDGE.dat file...

The .dat files do have different CRC32 values:

iEDGE: 67532BD0
EDGE: 844906DC (didn't work on my iEDGE with a DS Lite)

Also, I did not have to copy over the EDGE directory with the cheat.dat file in it. I only had to copy over the EDGE.dat file from the iEDGE OS.

I was not able to install the bootstrap on the iEDGE with a DS Lite. After creating the bupdate.bin file on the microSD (transflash) and installing it in the iEDGE, installing the iEDGE in the DS Lite and powering up the DS Lite, all that I got was the error message about not EDGE.dat file.

Wierd...especially if someone else was able to do it.

Great guide to the OP...step-by-step with excellent easy-to-read pics. Thank you for your time and effort.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WantMyMTV said:
I did not have to run the bootstrap on the iEDGE with the DS Lite...

Not ? When i did received mine when it first came out, my DS Lite showed me the iEdge icon and even with iEdge firmware on SD it diddnt boot up in the lite.
So i had to do the bootstrap to make it work on DS Lite.

QUOTE said:
I did however have to use the iEDGE OS v1.9 NOT the EDGE (no i) OS...when I tried to run the EDGE (no i) OS v 1.9, the card told me it could find the EDGE.dat file...

The .dat files do have different CRC32 values:

iEDGE: 67532BD0
EDGE: 844906DC (didn't work on my iEDGE with a DS Lite)

Also, I did not have to copy over the EDGE directory with the cheat.dat file in it. I only had to copy over the EDGE.dat file from the iEDGE OS.
I think that is clear, if he used it in his guide it might have been spelling error or just for the more userfriendly part to say overwrite the old.
Indeed Edge cards dont work with iEdge firmware and vice versa.

I was not able to install the bootstrap on the iEDGE with a DS Lite. After creating the bupdate.bin file on the microSD (transflash) and installing it in the iEDGE, installing the iEDGE in the DS Lite and powering up the DS Lite, all that I got was the error message about not EDGE.dat file.

Wierd...especially if someone else was able to do it.
Maybe your card came already flashed or u got a fake one. My iEdge did flash fine in the lite.

WantMyMTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSAndi said:
Maybe your card came already flashed or u got a fake one. My iEdge did flash fine in the lite.

Maybe...

I bought it from ShopTemp based on them being an official partner of GBATemp so I hope that it's not fake...all the packaging was correct.

I asked ShopTemp customer service if they would flash the iEDGE and AceKardi and load the respective OSs before shipping (I bought an SD card for each from ShopTemp). They said they couldn't provide that service as this time.

Both SD card packages were cut open so ShopTemp may have gone ahead and done it. And it's very easy to open the iEDGE packaging and then put it all back together.

I'll pay closer attention on the AceKardi when I get the DS Lite back from my son...see if they did the same with it.

I'm very pleased with the ease of installation of the iEDGE and so far it works as advertised. Got my card within a week from ordering from ShopTemp, and have found GBATemp very helpful in sorting through all things DS related.

And as mentioned, the guide in this post was very well done and helpful.

PS. How can you tell conclusively if the iEDGE has been bootstrapped? And even if it has been bootstrapped by the seller, couldn't I re-bootstrap it using the same steps in the guide? That's one of the main selling points of the iEDGE, isn't it? Being able to flash the firmware on the card multiple times to keep up with Nintendo's firmware?

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it is bootstrapped it shows suduko as icon not the Edge icon.
I think u can bootstrap it again, didnt try it out. Maybe the card can check if the file is different from the actual bootstrap.
Dont really know and wont check now.

WantMyMTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSAndi said:
If it is bootstrapped it shows suduko as icon not the Edge icon.

On the DS Lite, when you power it up with the iEDGE, the DS Lite displays the Nintendo screen with the warning...

You press 'A'...

The EDGE wallpaper comes up on the top screen and the bottom screen just has the 'Games', 'Media' and 'Options' icons from the iEDGE OS.

There is no Sudoku icon on the DS Lite...it boots right to the iEDGE OS without me having to make any selections...

I'm going to purchase a DSi XL tomorrow so I guess that will be the real test of whether my iEDGE has been bootstrapped or not...

WantMyMTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The iEDGE card was delivered from ShopTemp bootstrapped...

Just inserted the card into the DSi XL, and up came the DS warning, followed by the DSi menu with the Sudoku Hudson icon...

Selected the Sudoku icon and up came the iEDGE OS 1.10...

Still curious why the DS Lite wouldn't let me "re"bootstrap the iEDGE card...

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to forum member Flashgib, I have updated the guide with some photos of the "fake/clone" cart and packaging. Its easy to see that the cart is of a totally different construction/design to the original iEDGE.

Hopefully this new information will help prospective users avoid any shenanigans, when they come to buying the iEDGE cart.

iEDGE guide *updated*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: