Hacking IEdge or R4i for my girlfriend's birthday?

XDarkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I adore my girlfriend and I hate seeing my little Nintendo nerd carrying around all those games all the time! So I've decided to get her a flash card for her birthday, so she can listen to music, play her games, at all once.

Thing is, my girlfriend is totally technologically clueless! Aside from pressing A, B, and the directional keys, she doesn't know how to do anything flash card related with the DS. I'm seeking your expertise as to trying to find the most efficient, yet still very simple UI card that I can buy for my girlfriend.

I had heard that the iEdge is compatible with almost all games, if not all, so I was thinking that..I had also noticed someplace that iEdge is current the "best-of-the-best", and my girlfriend definitely deserves the best...But I am not sure.

\I had heard that the newest R4i SDHC is "just one click away from playable games download." What do they mean by this? Are we able to download roms directly from our DS using wifi? If that's the case, that'll be awesome. I wouldn't need to tinker with it every time she got a new game
tongue.gif

Her birthday is in less than a week, so any input would be awesome. Thank you so much.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The best I can tell you is to NOT get either of those or various other R4/DSTT/etc. clones that you may hear of. The only real idea I would suggest would be to get a decent flashcart like an Acekard2i or a Supercard DSTWO if you are looking to keep compatibility with any of the newer games that get released early on (ie. there is a higher chance for a just released game to be a drag and drop process), both of which are known for their high compatibility.
Both of them are fairly easy to use and for the most part I generally don't feel the GUI is all too complex. Worst comes to worst, you could try using Moonshell2.09 as the GUI because not only can it play music, view images, read text files, and other small perks directly from the menu, but it can also forward a game to load using the Acekard2i or DSTWO's loader, thus no loss in compatibility. The only real downfall with this idea is that you have to set up Moonshell2 prior to giving it to her.
The only true plus to using Moonshell2 as the GUI is the fact that it can play music, etc. without having to load up a different homebrew, unlike the Acekard2i or DSTWO. Of course, since Moonshell2 is a homebrew, you can use this tactic on either flashcart and the effect will pretty much be the same.

XDarkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! Thank you for such the speedy reply. I'll definitely look into the Acekard and Supercard. Are those two capable of downloading roms via wifi? Are any flash cards capable of such a feature?

Thank you!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Get that feature out of your mind. It's something shitty clone flash carts add to make up for the fact that they suck, and it doesn't work nearly as well as you'd think. The DS's hardware is very limited when it comes to download speed, I'm talking like ~15KB/sec at best.

Don't even consider that "feature".

XDarkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Get that feature out of your mind. It's something shitty clone flash carts add to make up for the fact that they suck, and it doesn't work nearly as well as you'd think. The DS's hardware is very limited when it comes to download speed, I'm talking like ~15KB/sec at best.

Don't even consider that "feature".

Yikes! Yessir!

Alright, I have narrowed my list down to two flash cards: The Acekard 2i and iEdge.
My reason revolves around rom compatibility, frequent updates and overall estimated lifetime.
Which one of these two do you guys believe excels over the other in those areas?

XDarkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
Acekard 2i > iEdge in every aspect but one.

Build Quality.

Though I suppose unless you throw it at a wall you won't notice.

Thank you, good sir! But for what reasons does the Acekard 2i remain supreme despite being older than the iEdge, if I may ask? Is it's compatibility even better than that of iEdge? Wow, the team must work VERY HARD! I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm totally new to flash cards!

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
The Acekard 2i and iEdge cards are good but make sure you buy genuine.

The edgei is a fake iedge but is easy to spot as its black and really an R4i.

The Acekard 2i has lots of fakes and you have to test it when you get it.

The iEdge has very good quality control and has very low defective rate >0.1%
The Acekard is very high due to fakes

To buy genuine check Offical iEdge resellers

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The "older" isn't a bad thing, it cracked the DSi first.

Anyway, with AKAIO software, which is updated regularly, it's pretty much a deity. It's got Anti-Anti-Piracy which lets you play pretty much any game (only like 3 don't work) and a sexy GUI.

It's got crap contacts though so you may need to do the paper trick.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
The "older" isn't a bad thing, it cracked the DSi first.

The first and only to crack DSi is the iEvo by TC

The first to work in a DSi using running startard NDS roms was Acekard 2i

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The iEdge is newer, but the updates fix less and are more sporadic, to the point that multiple times the community thought the team behind it vanished.

Whereas the developers of AKAIO (the system software for the Acekard 2i) have forum accounts and post here, and release updates as needed.

XDarkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! That's it! I've decided to go with the Acekard 2i. It sounds like a very reliable chip that my girlfriend can use. I really do hope she enjoys it :].

As for buying locations -- Do you guys have any recommendations to reliable ones with really fast shipping?

Chubbo1793

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since her birthday's coming up soon, I'd suggest Realhotstuff because they ship and arrive within 2-5 days. I've bought from them and they arrived in 3 days and I'm in Colorado (they're in New Jersey).

Niles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to remind everyone what happened with the latest pokemon games... Only one card worked without needing an update, the Supercard DS2. I truly believe its the absolute best for compatibility. On top of that with its built in CPU, its emulator support is quite appealing.

I have acekards, R4is, and DS2s, the only downside to the DS2 is that is uses a BIT more battery power than the others, and costs a bit more. But that fact that it runs anything thrown at it without needing updates is pretty huge and well worth the extra $20.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm sure this guy is confused already.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XDarkz said:
Thank you, good sir! But for what reasons does the Acekard 2i remain supreme despite being older than the iEdge, if I may ask? Is it's compatibility even better than that of iEdge? Wow, the team must work VERY HARD! I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm totally new to flash cards!
The Acekard team doesn't work very hard on updates. In fact, they haven't really updated the compatibility of the card in a while (though they update the software when it's absolutely necessary). The high compatibility of the Acekard is due to AKAIO, an alternative software made by the developer known as Normmatt. He doesn't get paid for AKAIO, and he works really hard to keep up with compatibility.

And if you want the absolute best compatibility, you'll want to go for the Supercard DStwo. It's more expensive, but that's because it has a CPU on it. The CPU allows for the DStwo to bypass the anti-piracy protection put into most games, resulting in nearly perfect compatibility, along with the ability to play the newest games without requiring any updates or patches. In addition to that, there are tons of extra features you might enjoy, such as the ability to play GBA games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/_4oRbWv0veA?si=rOKCuNsE0oUCvEwa