Hacking IEdge firmware problem

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
actually the EdgeBootUpdate and sudoku rom make a new file in the memory card called bupdate.bin

i believe this file is same and common for all iedge, so should be enough for now just keep this file bupdate.bin and copy on a microsd for every iedge needed to update, put the microsd in the iedge and iedge 1.7 os too, and run the flashcard as normal, first time it should blink the red led on the iedge and after 10 sec about when red flash stop you can reset the console. now idge got firmware updated and can be used .
it's possible to copy all file once instead of follow all passage.
personally i used the cheapset microsd card reader avaible on market, the one similar with DSTT .
if need files you can download here
http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/download/Ninten...software/IEDGE/
and game from here
http://www.filestube.com/d0ee82f21d0245ca0...3-Sudoku-J.html

Camshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ndxsystems said:
Here is our experience of our current iEDGE stock.
We tried to flash the bootstrap using the instructions provided and the LED would just sit on solid red (no flashing) and resulted in the same iEDGE icon on the menu, we tried this an several carts randomly selected from stock and had the same issue each and every time.
Now for the interesting part, we were using a generic USB TF adapter (from an old R4 pack I believe) as its what we have here for testing memory etc.
Just out of chance we tried the supplied TF adapter (can’t be any different right?) and bingo! popped the TF card into the iEDGE and it flashed away.
Thinking this was just fluke we tried again with the old adapter (same rom file etc) and we were back to problems with the cart not flashing, we tried the supplied TF adapter again and it works every time without issue.
Here is the procedure we used:

Downloaded EdgeBootUpdate-v1-win
Downloaded 0363 - Puzzle Series Vol. 3 - Sudoku (J).nds
Insert the memory card into SUPPLIED TF Adapter and then the adapter into a USB port on the PC
Format the memory in windows FAT or FAT32
Run the EdgeBootUpdate-v1-win
Select the new formatted TF card
Select the 0363 - Puzzle Series Vol. 3 - Sudoku (J).nds
Click update
You will get a message to say completed and safe to remove card.
Remove the adapter and memory card from the PC
Insert the TF card into the iEDGE
Insert the iEDGE into the DSi
Turn on the DSi
Wait until flashing has completely stopped.
Power off DSi
Remove cart/memory
Format memory once again on the PC.
Extract iEDGE OS onto the root of the memory card
Insert the memory back into the iEDGE and the iEDGE into the DSi.
Power on and select the Sudoku icon (it will flash white for a few seconds before you see the word "Loading")
Your done and are presented with the familiar EDGE menu.

Hope this helps someone
Tony
NDX Systems

EDIT:
Just to note bupdate.bin was visible in all instances, however only worked when using the supplied USB TF adapter!

Please follow this exactly ladies and gents, works perfectly to the "T", I got it on second attempt, only advice is.

Format Full, not quick, then do update, then format full again, and word for word you will not go off in the wrong direction. The icon when selected on the DSi I also dropped the .nds file on after installing OS just in case and bang away it went, just give it 2secs or so to load up and boot and your favourite EDGE interface is right back in your hands
smile.gif

Many Thanks again to NDX.

Camshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And just as added support, strongly strongly agree to using the SUPPLIED TF Reader as my thumbnail SanDisk didn't do it either
smile.gif

killershark

Trophies
XP
Country
Update from me.....

I have now 2 working iedge´s....

but what scares me, is that the same microsd without any changes works in another iedge, damm bad you can´t re use it (when patching correct it removes the bin file from the microsd)

So it looks random, I am sure it´s something about the patching process that does not read the bin filer correct, but, I am not able to recreate it, and isolate the problem yet! - but will keep working on it....

regards

Killershark

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried Camshi's guidelines, and still I'm getting the iEDGE icon on DSi and then select ,followed by ERROR message etc... Can't get the damn thing to work. Even a highly qualified friend of mine was over yesterday and he agreed I was doing everything as your meant to do. Hecan't understand why it won't work either. Just going to have anothe go at Camshi's guidelines in case I've missed something.

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Camshi!

On my Micro SD card I have the following files before putting it in my DSi:

0363 - Puzzle Series Vol.3 Sudoku.nds
bupdate
EdgeBootUpdate-v1
IEDGE
readme
readme-win

Is this what you have on your Micro SD card in the iEDGE card?
If not what should I have?
With those files on the MicroSD card:
I put the card in, allow it to flash red and then quickly red until it stops.
I then switch off the DSi and then switch on.
Everytime there is no Sudoku icon appearing, just the iEDGE icon.
When I choose this, just to see, I'm met with black ERROR window with
message to swtich off DSi and consult the Nintendo DSi manual.

I went through your sequence of things to do to try and get it to work, with same negative results as I've had before.
I don't understand why you format the MicroSD a second time as this erases
everything for when you put it back in as it only then has the 0S on which you've put
on after the second format. What about all the other files after the first format being
the 0363 Sudoku.nds Bootstrap update etc?
Have they already meshed and joined with the software in the DSi after the first format and when
you put the card in the DSi for the first time flashed it red, switched of snd then you reformat and put back in with OS
on etc?
As you can see I'm getting nowhere with this DSi card.

I've no idea what is going on with it and I'm extremely envious that you've managed to get one to work as I'm not
finding it as simple as you have.

Cheers
Liam

ndxsystems

Trophies
XP
Country
Here is an updated procedure directly from EDGE tech:

------------------------------
Thank for your patience, we're planning to do a video to help customers to clearly understand the procedure to follow. Otherwise you can try the procedure bellow if you feel comfortable with this one.

1. Backup your .NDS Roms located on your MicroSD card to your PC, then FORMAT the MicroSD card with supplied IEDGE USB TF Adapter (do a FULL format). If you are browsing the MicroSD card, close the window.

2. Execute EdgeBootUpdate-v1 as an administrator (From your PC HDD and NOT your MicroSD). To do this, right click on the file and select "Run as administrator”. Then from the software select the new formatted MicroSD from the USB TF Adapter and after select the "0363 - Puzzle Series Vol. 3 - Sudoku (J).nds" then click UPDATE. You will get a message saying "completed and safe to remove card".

3. Now safely remove the USB TF Adapter from the PC then insert the MicroSD into the iEDGE and this one in the DSi then turn on your DSi, wait until flashing led located on the iEDGE has completely stopped then power off the DSi.

4. Remove the MicroSD from the IEDGE then reinsert it in the USB TF Adapter then plug it again on the PC and reformat the MicroSD in FAT or FAT32

5. Now download and unpack on your computer the latest IEDGE OS on our web site. Simply ensure to download the proper OS for your respective product.
(http://www.edge-ds.cn/download.html)

6. Place EDGE dir and IEDGE.DAT directly on your root of MicroSD.
(Taking H as example of your USB TF Adapter drive letter.)

H:\IEDGE.DAT
H:\EDGE\cheats.dat

7. Now reinsert the MicroSD back into the iEDGE and the iEDGE into the DSi then turn on your DSi and select the Sudoku icon. After a short delay you should see "Loading" on the screen and shortly after the IEDGE menu.

You're done.

Regards - EDGE Tech
---------------------------------

Camshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Liam,

What I did is followed NDX Guidelines, and only having the update loaded on to the MicroSD from the source elsewhere and selecting the files independantly then hit the update, removed card straight into DSi, loaded, let update, switched off, full format, unzipped 1.7 OS directly to MicroSD and also put the Sudoku .nds on just in case as a test bed, and went fine.

Hope this helps, always full format, not quick.

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi ndx systems and camshi,

just followed ndx system guidelines and when I switch on the DSi, re last action in the guidelines I'm still met with the iEDGE icon and not the SUDOKU icon.
At this moment in time I have the following on the MicroSD card:

CHEATS
iEDGE

should I have the 0363 sudoku file on as well?

Still tearing my hair out!!!

liam63

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi ndxsystems and camshi,

just tried putting 0363 SUDOKU file on MicroSD with cheats file and edge.dat but makes no difference whatsoever.
When I put MicroSD into iEDGE card and then in to DSi I'm still getting the red flashing sequence.
Is this meant to happen, still, after everything else has been done and implemented from the ndxsystems guidelines?
If not, what has gone wrong?

I've come to the conclusion that maybe my Dsi (version 1.45 by the way and bought brand new june 09) is putting the block on things or do I need to contact xpertron who I bought the iEDGE card through, to see if they'll swop it for a one that EDGE have installed everything on to the MicroSD card and the iEDGE card itself.
Hopefully I'd then put it in the DSi and everything then would be working fine, but I'm worried with that possible course of action it might still not work.

This was one of my 8 year old boys presents for Christmas, so all round a very frustrating experience as I was excited to see it work as well. Installing the EDGE card for my DS Lite was so much simpler without any problems.

I'm now relying on somebody out there to come up with the miracle solution, because now I feel like I've done everything I can to try and get it to work.

Keep talking to me on this problem until we crack it if you don't mind!

Kind regards and thanks for your advice and efforts so far!

liam63

Camshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Righty, easiest way is start from the beginning.

Full Format on the MicroSD to remove everything, then just the update should be applied to the MicroSD and when informed to do so, remove MicroSD and place into iEDGE, allow for update flash sequence to finish completely.

Then immediately switch off DSi when complate, remove MicroSD full format, extract OS directly to root of the MicroSD and then place a .NDS file into the MicroSD also as a test bed.

Insert into iEDGE and hopefully everything is fine
smile.gif

ndxsystems

Trophies
XP
Country
liam63 said:
Hi ndxsystems and camshi,

just tried putting 0363 SUDOKU file on MicroSD with cheats file and edge.dat but makes no difference whatsoever.
When I put MicroSD into iEDGE card and then in to DSi I'm still getting the red flashing sequence.
Is this meant to happen, still, after everything else has been done and implemented from the ndxsystems guidelines?
If not, what has gone wrong?

I've come to the conclusion that maybe my Dsi (version 1.45 by the way and bought brand new june 09) is putting the block on things or do I need to contact xpertron who I bought the iEDGE card through, to see if they'll swop it for a one that EDGE have installed everything on to the MicroSD card and the iEDGE card itself.
Hopefully I'd then put it in the DSi and everything then would be working fine, but I'm worried with that possible course of action it might still not work.

This was one of my 8 year old boys presents for Christmas, so all round a very frustrating experience as I was excited to see it work as well. Installing the EDGE card for my DS Lite was so much simpler without any problems.

I'm now relying on somebody out there to come up with the miracle solution, because now I feel like I've done everything I can to try and get it to work.

Keep talking to me on this problem until we crack it if you don't mind!

Kind regards and thanks for your advice and efforts so far!

liam63

Hi Liam,
If you are seeing the flashing sequence (red LED must be flashing and NOT on constant red) then it suggests that the botstrap update is taking place.
Just make sure that you wait until the LED has stopped flashing completely and there is no LED showing at all.
Then follow the procedure to format the card again and install the EDGE OS.
Regards,
Tony
NDX Systems

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks camshi,
will try it now.
Is putting something in the root of the MicroSD the same as just extracting the OS onto it directly?
If not , how do you put the OS on the 'root' of a MicroSD card?

If everything fails I will endeavour for you to help remotely with the iEDGE card problems I'm having.
Cheers
liam63

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Tony at NDX systems,

In every instance I've waited for the red flashing sequence to cease which ,yes, indicates the update is installing.
However, after then full format of MicroSD and then adding OS system I'm back to the red flashing sequence again and then the DSi goes into DSi scroll menu itself where only the iEDGE icon is found and not the SUDOKU icon.
I'm now investigating whether I'm putting the OS on to the MicroSD properly after 2nd full format.
Am I really putting the OS in the 'root' of the MicroSD card or just extracting it straight on to the card ? And is there a difference between the two. I've also put this question to camshi as well.

Where is the root of the MicroSD card and how do I put the OS into it?
I've been extracting it straight to the MicroSD card.

Is this the correct way to put the OS on?

Curently in the process of starting from the beginning again and doing full first format.

thanks for your patience with me!

I hope to be using the DSi, with iEDGE card working properly, on my death bed with my family around me in about 40 to 50 years time at this rate!!!

Liam

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just done everything you've all asked me to do and still I get the iEDGE icon in the DSi menu and not the SUDOKU icon.
Really am completely baffled now as I know I'm doing everything correctly.
What are the possible other problem issues here?

Again!
Thanks for your patience.

I'm off out for a few hours now and will speak later.

Have a good rest of the day.

Regards

Liam

Johnno69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Liam,

I bought my iEDGE card from Xpertron like you and earlier received an email from them. They have said they are going to email me an easier guide to setting up the iEDGE than the one that has been put on the Edge website.

I was wondering if you had received the same email because it might be helpful to you.

I bought the iEDGE for my seven your old daughter to use in her DSI and was lucky enough to get it working first time otherwise there would have been tears in my house.

If all else fails I would contact Xpertron to see what they have to say.

Good luck,

John.

Camshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liam by the sound sof it my good man, you haven't been getting rid of the updater as the LED should not light up after the initial bootstrap up.

So sounds like a slight issue, please PM me, and i'll try lending a hand
smile.gif

Johnno69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Camshi said:
Liam by the sound sof it my good man, you haven't been getting rid of the updater as the LED should not light up after the initial bootstrap up.

The bin file should be automatically deleted from the microSD after flashing the iEDGE. That's what happened with mine and I've had no problems.

Awesome turtwig

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, in my original DS, I'm trying to get my iedge to work. Do I need to do the bootstrap stuff, since I don't have a DSi? Well I make the bootstrap file, put it in my DS and wait for the LED to stop flashing. I take it out, the bin file is NOT gone, but sometimes it is. I extract the iEdge OS onto my card... however when I do that, the LED starts flashing again. Why is it doing this? I tried formatting. Any help? Thanks.

I tried it with 2 different micro SD cards. One 2 gb and one 8 gb.

I also do NOT get the Sudoku icon.

liam63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Johnno69 said:
Camshi said:

The bin file should be automatically deleted from the microSD after flashing the iEDGE. That's what happened with mine and I've had no problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging