OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
iyouboushi.com
XP
Country
United States
My computer's graphic card decided it no longer wanted to live. I took this as a sign that perhaps it's time to get a new computer as the one I've been using is about seven years old. I've already ordered the new comp and it should be a week or so before I have it.

So until I have it, no new development will be made on Idle RPG DS. Before it went ka-put, I did manage to do two things to the game:

- Added a check to make sure the character name & character class name isn't empty.
- Added the confirm character name & class name screen.

Hopefully the transition to the new computer (and getting everything reinstalled) won't be too much of a pain and I'll be able to start development again. I'm actually ready to start programming the actual game now that the two user-required inputs are done and working. Saving is working as well and loading should (theoretically) work.

Here's hoping!

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know what IDle RPG for irc is, but explain exactly what would this DS version entail? Leaving your DS pluged in to a power unit and keeping it on 24/7? Please explain.

Iyouboushi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
iyouboushi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, pretty much.

I'm just doing this project to learn how to program on the DS. Idle RPG is a pretty simplistic "game" (if you can call it that) that will entail learning how to make menus (which I've pretty much finished), clickable sprites (done), keeping track of time, random numbers, picking from random items in arrays, etc etc etc. Basically everything I would need in a REAL, unique, game.

Right now all I really have planned is to emulate the IRC version. So yeah, you'd keep your DS on to earn exp to level up your character, which will find new equipment that may or may not be any better than what you have. Randomly you'd go on quests or fight against other bosses/monsters in which you can earn exp or lose exp for winning/losing respectively.

In the far distant future I would love to be able to add the ability to compare scores with other people. Kind of like a 'high score' list that compares level and equipment values. But for now I just want to get the main engine working and learn how all this stuff works on the DS.

After that.. the sky is the limit on what I could do for my second project.

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will you be penalized for turning off the system like with normal Idle rpg? Also will it have something to prevent use of an emulator because with that it would be simple to "cheat" on said game.

I am going to make a suggestion of what you may want to do with this, instead of going Idle rpg route is take a new direction more like this game: http://www.dragonprime.net/

It is kinda fun, a bit of the same of idle rpg except with less idling. Just a suggestion. Whichever you do, good luck and I cant wait to see a release of the game
smile.gif

Iyouboushi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
iyouboushi.com
XP
Country
United States
I probably won't penalize for turning off the game. That would just be kind of cruel, since the DS isn't a computer and can't stay on for weeks at a time.

As for the emulator.. well, for now most (all?) DS emulators can't write using FAT. So once you stop using the emu the game will be reset and you'll have to start over. Also, if/when I ever get around to adding the high score thing it'll transmit via wifi. Obviously no emus have wifi support yet. I don't really think emus are a good way to cheat at this point.
tongue.gif

Legend of the Green Dragon rocks. That would make an awesome second game project once I'm done with the basic version of this one.

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess thats true about the emu.

As for LoGD you can for the most part using part of the Idle RPG to kick start the project. Imho you should every time you do a decent step in your current game make it a new save point. So you can use one of the older models to start the new project when you decide to start it so you do not have to start from scratch and you also do not have to remove extra "bagage". Well either way good luck on your Game project and I hope to see a homebrew release from you some day
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...