Idea for NDSI homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by bestbuymacman, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2010

Idea for NDSI homebrew by bestbuymacman at 8:24 PM (3,726 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. bestbuymacman
    OP

Newcomer bestbuymacman Member

United States
    Hi everyone and GBAtemp.net!
    This is my first post [​IMG] , and I have and idea for DSI mode homebrew.
    So it works like this

You create ad-hoc network on computer, blocking IP traffic, but with a (offline) copy of the DSI store, with a copy of the homebrew you want... (like a HBC ) disguised as a real app, like the mario clock, OR a LEGIT DSI ware with an exploit, like Zelda TP on wii, or IndianaPWNS (also on wii)

and then connect the DSI to the wifi ad-hoc and download the "Mario Clock" and if theres an MD5 check, simply spoof it...
    and then run either the app, or the exploit - which can then download and install totally custom homebrew from the SD card.

Ok so tell me what you think. BTW I am 13, and have some experience in iPhone (Objective C) coding, and a little Python, and enough HTML to create a small website, but nothing else, so I'll need some help with this.

So hit me with replies and honestly, tell me what you think!

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
  3. bestbuymacman
    OP

United States
    Not what I am saying at all, sifjar.
    Not intercept data, HOST the site! . then that you can download anything you want onto the DSI,

Also, why
    "in short: No, that won't work." care to try? or possibly state it in a different way? thanks though

Sorry if any of that sounds rude, man, didn't mean it that way. [​IMG]

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Even if that worked, so what? You can get anything you like into the DSi easy as you want, write it to an SD card and shove it in the slot. Doesn't mean you can make the DSi execute the code though.

5. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
  6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    It makes no real difference whether the data is injected to a download from the official servers or traffic is redirected to a self-hosted server and data is downloaded from there; the fact remains that once the data is downloaded, and prior to installation, the signature is checked and failure to pass the signature check means it will not be installed. Unless you happen to know Nintendo's private key for the DSi, it will not work. And if you do, there's probably an easier way to do things. The most useful thing to do is attempt to get the DSi's common key, which actually exists on each DSi console. This would allow you to disassemble IOS etc. and attempt to find an IOS based exploit that would allow the installation of fake signed content e.g. a custom channel.

Of course, to do this you'd need to run code on DSi, which is possible, but only a limited amount, probably not enough to dump the key (this is using ClassicHack or CookingHack). Perhaps it is though, I really don't know. Anyway, it'd be better to invest time into attempting to make something useful out of that, try and poke around a bit by running code with it and see what can be found. Although of course, this requires a reasonable knowledge of ARM ASM, and a fair understanding of computer architecture etc.

7. coolness

Netherlands
  8. bestbuymacman
    OP

United States
    Ok everyone. I guess I was not clear...
    Using this hack, you would MODIFY original code, and NEVER TOUCH THE SIGNATURE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ..
    thats the whole point, to never mess with that. Using a mario clock app, dumped from a DSI, you could edit it to be, IDK, a GBA temp clock app, by just saying on the top banner in the app "GBA TEMP" and changing the background image! and if that makes the signature void, then I see why it wouldn't work, but why would it?

9. coolness

Netherlands
  10. bestbuymacman
    OP

United States
  11. bestbuymacman
    OP

United States
    coolness, that thread has been closed for ages.

12. coolness

Netherlands
    i Know but it`s funny to post here xD

13. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Because that's the whole point of the signature. As soon as you make any change to the code, bam, the signature doesn't match and it won't run. Same reason that if you have a chipped Wii with no soft-mods you can only play exact copies of discs.

14. bestbuymacman
    OP

United States
    Thank you blue star. But i have a question, then how does the zelda TP hack work? that is the whole point. Also, can't we modify the signature? not create a new one?

EDIT- well, coolness, you have been reported. thanks for the non-constructiveness, man!

15. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Don't be such a child. It's a well deserved reaction from Coolness.
    You come here, asking about DSi hacking, tell us you know some amatuer programming, etcetc.

If you could use the search function, you could see many of this topics already exist.
    If anyone could make a software like the one you described, it would be already here, or being worked on now.
    And not by some 13yo child like you, but by some pro's.

16. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Because the TP hack uses a save to insert executable code into the main RAM. A very small bit of code. And because it uses an overflow to spill the code in a portion of other code that's already signed and been verified it gets away with it. What you're talking about isn't feasible.

17. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    If the Twilight Hack was able to run code without the common key, isn't it possible to run code using the ClassicHack or the CookingHack to dump the DSis common key?

18. coolness

Netherlands
    your welcome [​IMG]

19. bestbuymacman
    OP

United States

WOW, doesn't look like the mods were agreeing with you! his comment got deleted. But there are some things wrong with your comment.
    The PROS work AT NINTENDO!!! what the heck! also, I AM NOT A CHILD! I would like you to tell me the better coding things you have done! tell me! or don't put me down like that! and i did use search, all those ones were dominated by people like coolness, without any positive comments! also, they didnt do what i was thinking of!! [​IMG]

20. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    ClassicHack and CookingHack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.