Hacking Suggestion Idea for later firmwares.

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I was thinking that we could find a sysmodule(preferably one that loads at boot) that hasn't been updated at all since 3.0.0, and then create a homebrew application that modifies said module to allow homebrew to load on later firmwares. Once the module is modified, update the Switch to the latest firmware, and the modified module won't be updated, as there isn't an update for it. Kinda like ColdBoot Haxchi for the Wii U, where it loads the CFW when the console boots. If that module does get an update, modify a different module that doesn't get updated.

Basically, start with 3.0.0, mod sysmodule that won't get updated, update. Once you update (4.1.0, for example), and another update releases, and the sysmodule will be updated, find a different module that doesn't change from 4.1.0 to whatever comes next. Once you're off 3.0.0, it can be any sysmodule that doesn't change starting from whatever firmware you are currently on.

Kinda new to this (as in no homebrew creation experience, and I don't even have a switch,) but if this helps people who want to play Odyssey also use homebrew, then awesome!

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I was thinking that we could find a sysmodule(preferably one that loads at boot) that hasn't been updated at all since 3.0.0, and then create a homebrew application that modifies said module to allow homebrew to load on later firmwares. Once the module is modified, update the Switch to the latest firmware, and the modified module won't be updated, as there isn't an update for it. Kinda like ColdBoot Haxchi for the Wii U, where it loads the CFW when the console boots. If that module does get an update, modify a different module that doesn't get updated.

Basically, start with 3.0.0, mod sysmodule that won't get updated, update. Once you update (4.1.0, for example), and another update releases, and the sysmodule will be updated, find a different module that doesn't change from 4.1.0 to whatever comes next. Once you're off 3.0.0, it can be any sysmodule that doesn't change starting from whatever firmware you are currently on.

Kinda new to this (as in no homebrew creation experience, and I don't even have a switch,) but if this helps people who want to play Odyssey also use homebrew, then awesome!
youre a genius bro

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
youre a genius bro
Dang, that was fast.

Actually realized that updates may be a package, and not each sysmodule seperately, so it overwrites the entire partition with the update, not replace each file seperately.

EDIT: I may be wrong, though. If it replaces sysmodules seperately, then this should (theoretically) work.

Last edited by Malebocks,

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how hacking works.
Besides, what you're suggesting is kinda the same how A9LH and B9S work.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo learned from that mistake.

Those are the hardmods, right?

I am suggesting modifying the FIRMWARE, to allow homebrew (like a CFW), to persist through updates, so rather than finding an exploit in later firmwares, we just update and continue using homebrew.

EDIT: Derp. I just realized you were comparing this to how the hardmods WORK, rather than the fact that they are hardmods. But this could prevent people from having to buy and install a hardmod.

Last edited by Malebocks,

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the updates are delivered as seperate sysmodules, and they add JUST changes, this could work. Now if the updates include backup sysmodules that overwrite the ones on the system to prevent something like this from occurring, then, no, this wouldn't work.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Those are the hardmods, right?

I am suggesting modifying the FIRMWARE, to allow homebrew (like a CFW), to persist through updates, so rather than finding an exploit in later firmwares, we just update and continue using homebrew.

EDIT: Derp. I just realized you were comparing this to how the hardmods WORK, rather than the fact that they are hardmods. But this could prevent people from having to buy and install a hardmod.

A9LH and B9S aren't hardmods.

Look, we appreciate you pitching your ideas but if you have no clue how hacking works then 99% of what you're going to suggest has either already been looked at or is simply impossible.

Also, to modify the firmware, you need kernel access, without kernel access, you're pretty much nowhere.

The reason the 3DS has CFW at coldboot is due to a simple check flaw.

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH and B9S aren't hardmods.

Look, we appreciate you pitching your ideas but if you have no clue how hacking works then 99% of what you're going to suggest has either already been looked at or is simply impossible.

Also, to modify the firmware, you need kernel access, without kernel access, you're pretty much nowhere.

The reason the 3DS has CFW at coldboot is due to a simple check flaw.

Ah. Well, I tried.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah. Well, I tried.

Indeed you did.

If you want to know how the 3DS and Switch work, I suggest you read both the 3dsbrew and switchbrew wiki's.
Also, looking at 3DS and the recent switch presentation at C3 would be a really good place to start.

The presentations are up on YT.
34c3 Switch hacking
33c3 3DS hacking
32c3 3DS hacking etc.

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed you did.

If you want to know how the 3DS and Switch work, I suggest you read both the 3dsbrew and switchbrew wiki's.
Also, looking at 3DS and the recent switch presentation at C3 would be a really good place to start.

The presentations are up on YT.
34c3 Switch hacking
33c3 3DS hacking
32c3 3DS hacking etc.

I will, thanks!

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The WiiU could be fixed with ease, Nintendo just put a bandaid over it since its EOL.

Nintendo's Wii U is Sony's Vita.

It seems both want to forget their bastard childs.
Nintendo more then Sony tho.

Reactions: Joom

Malebocks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming there isn't already one, this could be a thread to discuss other ideas involving later firmwares.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's Wii U is Sony's Vita.

It seems both want to forget their bastard childs.
Nintendo more then Sony tho.
ehh, I say sony more since as far as I know sony is no longer going to do anything after the vita they said, at least nintendo pushed forward

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ehh, I say sony more since as far as I know sony is no longer going to do anything after the vita they said, at least nintendo pushed forward

Vita received updates fixing vulnerabilities.
Can't say that about the Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu