Hacking IDEA for copying games that I havent heard yet.

ja5983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What if.....

You copied a Wii game the same way you copy a GCN game? IF wii discs are the same file format and disc type as the GCN discs as many say (just larger). Then why would it not be possible to copy the game using the GCN+BBA method? Has anyone tried this? obviously you need the larger top for the GCN, but what else would be getting in the way?

If GCN/Wii really does read backwards - not a problem if its being ripped from GCN
if file system is same for both systems - maybe the wii games wont boot - but will they copy? I cant see why not....

What do you guys think?

Bi99uy

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the first problem would be that the laser doesn´t read all the way out on the disc, only the first 8cm.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If GCN/Wii really does read backwards - not a problem if its being ripped from GCN
if file system is same for both systems - maybe the wii games wont boot - but will they copy? I cant see why not....
For starters, you would have to remove the top half of the GameCube's shell or get one of those custom shells so that the Wii disc could fit into the GC.

Secondly, the GC disc laser only reads out a certain distance from the center of the disc; it does not read a full DVD-sized disc's width. It would only be able to copy the first 1.5 gigs of data from the Wii disc, at best. And that's assuming that the GC and Wii are using the same file structure to begin with, which seems unlikely.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What if.....

You copied a Wii game the same way you copy a GCN game? IF wii discs are the same file format and disc type as the GCN discs as many say (just larger). Then why would it not be possible to copy the game using the GCN+BBA method? Has anyone tried this? obviously you need the larger top for the GCN, but what else would be getting in the way?

What do you guys think?

The only thing that gets in the way is the lasers motor track only goes out far enough to handle 8cm discs. (All the case mods do is allow for bigger discs to fit, not read them all the way out)

Edit: Just beaten by Sevael and Bi99uy.

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look @ the back of an original Wii disc, you can't even see where data is burned on it like other discs. It looks like blank media. This might be part of the copying issue.

The question is: what HAS been tried to copy a Wii game & did not work, so we know what else to try? Are these actually DVD's? I'm willing to waste a few blanks to try a few things but I want to know what has been done already so I don't do it again for nothing.

I wonder if these ARE DVD's if DVD XCopy will work or CloneDVD......???
wacko.gif

Stokesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you look @ the back of an original Wii disc, you can't even see where data is burned on it like other discs. It looks like blank media. This might be part of the copying issue.

If the discs are like the gamecube discs, then they start reading from the outside edge, and have garbage data for the rest of the disc, which would be why you cant see the 'burnt' data.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to see the method for using burnt GC discs work before we start worrying about Wii iso's. I've got a ton of 'backups' that are begging to be played in 480p.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, the first problem would be that the laser doesn´t read all the way out on the disc, only the first 8cm.

They don't? Then why can you use full sized DVDs for GC piracy?

If you burn beyond 1.35GB on a full sized DVD it won't read it all. Up to 1.35GB is the same as burning a 1.35GB DVD, it doesn't matter which way its read because the data is burnt to the disc from the centre outwards.

I have tried to read a disc in my modded cube and nothing will read it. The drive just spins down.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you look @ the back of an original Wii disc, you can't even see where data is burned on it like other discs. It looks like blank media. This might be part of the copying issue.
DVD's and CD's that are mass produced are not burned, they are stamped. A machine brings a blank plastic disc up to speed, drops some silver/nickel solution on it, then sends it for stamping. Here a die is used that literally stamps the data onto a DVD or CD. Stamping does not leave a noticeable change in color or otherwise on the side of the disc that contains data, like burning a CD or DVD with a home drive does.

xtoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't it possible to write software to use it for the wii cd reader to copy wireless data from the cd to your pc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1