idea for a screw in joystick for NDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by fitzbean, May 24, 2007.

1. fitzbean
    OP

fitzbean Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2005
    United States
    Don't know if this has been done - if so, lead the way.. but remember the old sega 8bit controller that came with a small threaded joystick you could pop a small cap off the game pad and screw into the middle of it? This would probably work pretty well for the nds game pad, no?

[​IMG]

2. tjas

tjas The Gbatemp HRManager

Sep 10, 2006
    Netherlands
    BoZ
    dosn't really sound durable...

3. fitzbean
    OP

fitzbean Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2005
    United States
    durable? Well I don't suggest tossing it around in the yard, but it would be plenty strong of course dependent on the thickness of the plastic of the game pad.

4. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    Yes, but it's a removable piece so you can lose it, that's not good.

5. larvi

larvi GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2006
    United States
  6. sirAnger

sirAnger GBAtemp Fan

Dec 4, 2002
    United States
    Michigan
    Seems like a rather small thing to re-engineer the DS for just that. The threads would have to go in pretty deep in order to be stable enough to jerk around. I think that might increase the size of the DS a bit. The gravis pad was thick and didn't have hardly anything behind its + pad.

I wouldn't use it - I'm fine with the + pad as it is.

7. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I wouldn't like it [​IMG]

It would be too fiddly, I prefer the D-pad, and besides, what would you gain with it? You still wouldn't have analog, and now you'd have a clumsy console, because you can't keep a grip on it with that knob sticking out and teeter-tottering this way and that while you're trying to hold the DS (and play, too).

8. Kenzya

Kenzya Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2006
    Haha I had that controller. The screw in stick was waaaaay too tall to be useful. It didn't change the fact that it was still an 8 direction d-pad. It was just much more effective to not use the stick.