Idea for 3DS IR Port

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sergster1, Apr 25, 2011.

Apr 25, 2011

Idea for 3DS IR Port by sergster1 at 8:47 PM (4,222 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. sergster1
    OP

Member sergster1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just an idea. We can use it to enable IR Features on our flash karts for IR compatible games such as pokemon. Share your thoughts.

2. Jasper07

Member Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Well it would be a good idea, but IR is just not the best connection thing imo. It would be handy for pokemon (if that uses IR, I don't know) but there aren't any other popular games I know of that use IR. And besides the cards would become more expensive.
    I would almost say, put Bluetooth on it instead of IR, but that would be useless as there would be nothing to connect it with.
    Maybe a dualshock 3, which would be awesome though...

3. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Did you even read the title? Why would cards become more expensive simply by supporting the IR port that is already in the 3DS? In any case, this is all moot and the 3DS (3DS mode) has yet to be hacked.

And IR is much faster than bluetooth. The only issue would be holding the 3DS' steady enough to not lose the signal.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If it is possible to work, they'd have to manually make patches for all the games in RAM to re-route the IR stuff. This would normally mean an outright "no", but since it's only like 5 games total it might be possible.

5. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    "If it gets hacked" is starting to be an annoying reason to start a thread.

Pip'

6. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Another pointless thread, but I would rather see the IR hacked for a universal touchscreen remote through a system menu hack 2 years from now.

7. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This was one of the main uses I used my PSP phat for [​IMG]. Would love to see it for the 3DS!

8. Jasper07

Member Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    gee you don't have to get all upset about it. That is just what I think will happen man. Besides, no one needs an IR port.

9. tmactx

Member tmactx GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    pokemon Black and White. is that it gives internet wireless and infrared port.

10. totalnoob617

Banned totalnoob617 Banned

United States
    yeah i agree a homebew app for a touch screen universal remote would be awesome
    they have them for iphone and ipod touch but stupid apple never put in an infrared emmiter even,which would have been dirt cheap ,much cheaper than a reciver also,and should have been implemented in the ipad,ipod touch and iphone from the begining,they have an adapter but its hella ugly,sticks way out and takes up your dock connector which sucks,the psp app is ok but there is no touch screen

11. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You assume you can play DS games in 3DS mode, this is the same backwards thinking that some people had thinking you could play gamecube games in Wii mode.

12. totalnoob617

United States
    well its kinda off topic,but now that koji metions it i also see posts about people talking about playing ds games with the analog controled on the 3ds with flashcards,so i was wonering is this at all possible?
    can we use the analog for ds games on the 3ds?i mean they did enable the games to be stretched to fit the larger sernn so maybe they enabled the analog in ds mode,i havent got a 3ds yet so i dont know,so sorry if this is obvious

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The analog stick works, but it's detected as a d-pad. Meaning there's no actual analog sensitivity.

EDIT:
    It's not possible with GC/Wii, but it is with other systems for example PSX games can have their textures smoothed and be read faster when played in a PS2.

14. totalnoob617

United States
    yeas thanks rydian ,i had a feeling that would be the case,if it worked at all

15. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I have a feeling it's going to be used like a motion controller for the Cafe. Something similar to how the Wii uses the IR port

16. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States

Wouldn't this be different though? On the Wii in GC mode there is no home menu. If you want to get back to the SM you have to reboot the Wii. 3DS, hit home and it asks you if you want to close the game. DS has no Home button, but 3DS does and it works in DS games.

Anyone notice Nintendo got lazy? When they ported the few chunks of DS firmware to the 3DS, they left the "secret button" in the top left of the Internet Connections screen.

17. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I heard it was an emulator, not DS-mode.

18. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    It does seem to be an emulator, because of some weird behavior, but noone is certain except Ninty...

19. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    No. There's no transmission there, as far as I know.

20. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Emulator or not, some of the firmware is modified. Go into the Legacy DS Download Play. Hit (B) to exit it. Old DS's, it would shut down the system. 3DS it says "Return to menu?" So they obviously took enough care to modify the firmware to make it exit back to loader rather than shut down the system, but neglected to remove the useless secret button.

Also, only size difference between DS Lite and 3DS, touch screen wise, 3DS is slightly wider and a hair or two taller. Why do DS games look like shit on it though >_>