I would like to announce...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Little, Jun 4, 2007.

Jun 4, 2007

I would like to announce... by Little at 10:59 AM (1,622 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Little
    OP

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    That I can't get the top of my fountain pen off to replace the empty cartridge. On the surface it may not seem like something worth announcing, however it does actually signify the end of any future I could have had.

You see I've had this pen since I was 10 (I'm 19 now!) and taking my Grammar school entrance exams. It's a parker you see, they last a long time. This pen has helped me get academic success without me putting in much work/revision... its seen me to university. There's not a single exam I've passed that I have wrote without it. I'm superstitious and naturally believe my success is to do with the pen. The only exam I have failed was A Level maths... which I wrote in pencil.

Now I'm like 2 hours and three minutes from a university exam that I've hardly gone to any lectures for. The pen is broken. I'm going to end up failing university, and either working at tesco or game for the rest of my life. That is all.

Of course, I should have worked hard for university but still, I was planning to start working hard in second year.

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    if you sit and think about the pen during your exam it will put you off.. just stand on dog shit and it will balance out the bad luck with some good luck [​IMG] well hope everything goes well with your exam good luck [​IMG]

3. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    put it in a frame and go buy a pack of bics for 2 dollars.

4. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    This is not the testing forum... [​IMG]
    Oh, you were serious? [​IMG]
    Forget the stupid pen...

5. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Try unscrewing the pen at the tip, that's usually where fountain pens unscrew at.

6. Little
    OP

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Just got back from my exam! My friend fixed the pen =D He's so wonderful, seems like there was a slight ink leak that was jamming it shut =(

I think the exam went great, really easy questions exactly on the topics I'd revised! The questions would have been different if my pen wasn't fixed [​IMG] :-p

Writing in biro just isn't the same as fountain pen, I find it feels nasty and just doesn't "flow".

Cheers everyone though [​IMG]

7. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Burn the pen. Rely on your brain. I know superstitions are hard to shake, but try to take a stand against them.

That said, as un-superstitious as I generally am, I've always put my right shoe on first, for the last 30 years or so.

So I won't get a headache of course! >_<

(I allow myself that one.)

8. thegame07

United Kingdom
    i hope you followed my advice about the dog shit [​IMG]

9. Little
    OP

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I've mangaged to shake the superstition of manholes, where even numbers were meant to be good luck and odd numbers bad luck. My sister got me into that when we were tiny and she still does it [​IMG] The pen will not go though, mainly because it's just nice to write with =)

Gave the Doggy mess a miss but I did cycle through some sludge, does that count =)

10. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hooray for Parkers! A-Level Biology went allright today too! Using a Vector [​IMG]

Question is ... will it carry me through the double whammy of History and Chemistry?

11. thegame07

United Kingdom
    im sure your be ok [​IMG] well i hope your happy with your test results when you get them back.

12. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Staples technician to the rescue [​IMG]

EDIT: just got out of a mad Computer Science class...

Iterators and tress and Nodes... OH MY!! [​IMG]

13. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Ah data structures, what fun...

Little: Try running the pen under warm water if it happens again, might help loosen the jammed ink.

I can't write in fountain pen to save my life, I had a reputation among teachers for having crap handwriting until I switched to biro in yr 10, you'd be amazed by the difference it made. Might be because I press too hard, making the fountain pen scratch the paper too much. I even snapped a nib once.

14. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Wow someone who has a Parker that isn't broken?! The barrels on mine always cracked and broke... I went through loads!

I did all my essays and most of my notes with my Parkers but for my actual exams I wrote in biro... I couldn't physically write fast enough with a fountain pen! With a biro you don't have a care in the world and you can just scribble away like a kid again! I was writing 8-10 pages for an hour or hour and a half exam!

[​IMG]

15. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Heh, us Americans don't really use fountain pens, I'd never actually used one until yesterday when my uncle brought me one back from France. We use pencils almost all of the time in school, and ballpoints are a lot easier to write with if you need to use pen anyway.

16. sirAnger

Member sirAnger GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG] I had to look up what biro meant. It's what I thought, just never heard that term before.

My grandfather gave me a nice Sheaffer fountain pen from his college days. Never really thought about using it. This post has piqued my interest.

17. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    whaTS A BIRO

18. Verocity

Member Verocity Ö!

United States
    a pen that has a small metal ball as the point of transfer of ink to paper [syn: ballpoint]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia

Sounds like your sister might have Obsessive-compulsive disorder which also runs in families.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder

a friend did the whole even and odd number thing, got tested and ended up having it.

20. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    I'm left handed [​IMG]

Yeah, at the end of long in-class essays and stuff, I always had pencil and/or pen rubbed all over the bottom of my left hand. I'll stick with typing thank you very much.

Its said that left-handers have an advantage over rightys when it comes to the standard keyboard layout [1] [​IMG]