PS1/2 I want to make sure I order the right ingredients in order to use FreeHDBoot.

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

Normally IDE drives are required, but you can get an Sata to IDE converter and the sata drive will work.

D

Deleted User

That's good to hear. So which Sata to IDE converter is recommended?
I honestly don't know, it's been a long as time since I've done ps2 stuff.

One that includes converting ide power connectors to sata power connectors for sure though.

Reactions: x65943

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The recommended SATA conversion kits are the ones that fit inside the network adaptor, like the ones made by MaxDiyPower or ABitTop

Avoid 3rd party network adaptors, whether IDE or SATA - the one that put most effort in (the GameStar) was based on outdated and inaccurate drivers for the official one and doesn't have Ethernet, everything else is even inferior (and yes, there are knockoffs of both the original and the GameStar)

As an American you can dodge any risk by buying the one with a modem - nobody imitated yet (to date...)

Pretty much any storage solution that (possibly after conversions) is compatible with ATA will work, at least with homebrew; official software using the HDD requires an original Sony disk, but can be modified (ATAD patch) to remove this gratuitous requirement

On top of that, any disk larger than 137 GB will require using software compatible with 48-bit addressing (called LBA48), all major homebrews are and so are some unofficial versions of the HDDOSD (the optional browser update that adds the HDD to the memory card manager)

Also note APA (the PS2 partitioning "table"), combined with the very limited cache you can fit in 2 megabytes of RAM shared with other drivers, breaks down very quickly on pretty much any drive filled more than approzimately 60~120 GB (exact figure is based on number of partition fragments, not size) resulting in significant loading times for just listing all partitions or finding one (ie, there's another reason why the only official disk is 40 GB apart from being a commercial failure)

Finally, to install FHDB and/or HDDOSD the first time, you will probably use someone else's disk image (or hdl_dump's initialize feature) - they work, but the first thing to do should be to run wLaunchELF, go to its HDD Manager, reformat it to get a proper partitioning scheme, and to reinstall HDDOSD/FHDB from an USB drive!

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The SATA adapter I've got is 'branded' Gamestar (like the one in your Amazon link), and it works fine... but that seems really expensive - I got mine from AliExpress for about half that much, shipped.
Despite what the poster above states, the only real consideration when buying a SATA adapter rather than the legit IDE one is whether you're likely to need the ethernet port. If you don't, the Gamestar adapter is cheaper and more convenient than the official adapters, and has none of the other supposed downsides that some people seem to believe they have.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: zfreeman

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went and bought it as soon as my last post. The fat PS2, which comes with everything including 2 DualShock 2 controllers, the IDE to SATA converter, the HDD, all comes from Amazon, and will all arrive on Thursday. But I won't be able to go to town on it until Friday, when I'm off work for a few days.

I will post about it once I get it going.

Also, I'm a Wii, PSP, and 3DS softmod fan. How on earth did I not find out about this until last week? I found out that this all started around 2008. This is the latest I've ever been to the party.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The SATA adapter I've got is 'branded' Gamestar (like the one in your Amazon link), and it works fine... but that seems really expensive - I got mine from AliExpress for about half that much, shipped.
Despite what the poster above states, the only real consideration when buying a SATA adapter rather than the legit IDE one is whether you're likely to need the ethernet port. If you don't, the Gamestar adapter is cheaper and more convenient than the official adapters, and has none of the other supposed downsides that some people seem to believe they have.

I will not be needing the ethernet port. I'm not interested in online play.

EDIT: Right now, the only thing I'm gonna do, is go to sleep. Goodnight, everyone!

Last edited by ZachariasBarnham,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The issue is that the GameStar was designed to be compatible with the homebrew drivers intended to be compatible with the original - however that was in 2009, the drivers were not quite right (resulting in poor performance), and fixing them resulted in completely breaking compatibility with the GameStar

Dropping support for what after all is an inaccurate clone was considered, and nowadays it's a compile time option free to be decided by whoever compiles the affected homebrew - be happy that most devs enable it :)

Full story and details at https://github.com/ps2dev/ps2sdk/issues/49

Reactions: duwen and zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: lol