I want to make a text hack of SMRPG, any help?

Puma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I want to remake the text based on a forum I go to (not this one)

The forum is currently in process of giving roles/making up a plotline (which I am in charge of)

Now, I've never worked with any coding before, so I'm hoping I can get a LOT of help here. Are there any easy-to-use tools/utilities or anything extremely simple that I can do this?

Thanks!

(NOTE: I am just editing the ROM, then making and releasing the .IPS [which I also need help on how to make], I WILL NOT BE RELEASING THE ACTUAL ROM ITSELF.)

~Puma.

Puma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the help from you guys, but I have no coding knowledge whatsoever, especially with Hex.

One of my friends told me I can just open up the ROM in notepad and edit it and it's extremely simple. Is that true?

Noitora: I'm only trying to edit the text, and possibly stats/items. But mainly text.

U-said-it

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way, no how, no notepad...

Unless your something of a marvel at writing in assembly , specifically "65c816", you're not going to be able to just jump in rewrite the script.

Until a general "Average Joe Shmo Utility" is written, your average user will be helpless at making Mario tell fart jokes.

PS - That's what the "Lazy Shell" that was mentioned is...

--Edit--

Since this site has quite a few ROM hackers, ask around. All though they might be more familiar with GBA rom hacking.

Puma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U-said-it said:
No way, no how, no notepad...

Unless your something of a marvel at writing in assembly , specifically "65c816", you're not going to be able to just jump in rewrite the script.

Until a general "Average Joe Shmo Utility" is written, your average user will be helpless at making Mario tell fart jokes.

PS - That's what the "Lazy Shell" that was mentioned is...

--Edit--

Since this site has quite a few ROM hackers, ask around. All though they might be more familiar with GBA rom hacking.
SMRPG is an SNES game.

Also, I have time. We're still getting roles & making the plot.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Puma said:
One of my friends told me I can just open up the ROM in notepad and edit it and it's extremely simple. Is that true?
Ah, if only that were true
rolleyes.gif

U-said-it

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puma said:
SMRPG is an SNES game.

Myself said:
Unless your something of a marvel at writing in assembly , specifically "65c816"...
That is the general assembly language used by the SNES, but it specifically used a customized version. - 5A22

Puma
Noitora: I'm only trying to edit the text, and possibly stats/items. But mainly text.
This would require dumping the script, translating it, finding the room in the ROM to put it back in, and the challenge of re-inserting it.

Considering the script has already been dumped, that's the first step, but I'm unsure that the person who hacked it ever released it.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, it's possible to text hack the rom just using the Hex Editor. Get Hex Workshop, open the rom, press Ctrl+F, write the line you want to hack and...hack it
moogle.gif
. Save, and it will work. I did that already, translated the rom to Polish

For enemy stats, you can use PIPES editor. For party stats, use some Savestate editor of SMRPG.

Puma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
Actually, it's possible to text hack the rom just using the Hex Editor. Get Hex Workshop, open the rom, press Ctrl+F, write the line you want to hack and...hack it
moogle.gif

For enemy stats, you can use PIPES editor. For party stats, use some Savestate editor of SMRPG.
How hard would this be, as I know nothing about hexediting :/

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Puma said:
skawo96 said:
moogle.gif

How hard would this be, as I know nothing about hexediting :/
Not hard, I would use the word "tedious"

U-said-it

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would be manipulating the assembly code in binary or hexi-decimal format with a hex editor. In essence you'd be doing everything a translation hack would want to accomplish with the exception of font issues, unless you want to change those as well...

You could start at the beginning with these tutorials.

Hexidecimal

Text Editing

Or keep checking back on the Lazy Shell status over at the ACLM boards. They closed the official thread and banned any new ones pertaining to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol