I think I fried my microphone

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Inferior_Design, Feb 28, 2009.

Feb 28, 2009
  1. Inferior_Design
    OP

Member Inferior_Design GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was using my DS a makeshift microphone for my PC. Plugged in one end of a 3 1/4" audio jack into the headphone slot and the other end into the Mic slot on my CPU. It worked just great. [​IMG]

Problem is, I noticed some odd noises from the PC speakers as I powered off the DS while still having the audio cable plugged in. I chalked them up to "normal" since it wasn't the intended use for either the DS or the audio cable. I did this a couple more times. Probably 4 in total. When I went back to use the mic again, it didn't record any sound. I was still able to rip audio from the game I was testing. Audio cable works fine. PC microphone slot works fine. The mic in my DS has got to be fried. [​IMG]

My DS is the original, got it at launch. Already sent it in to get the L button fixed a couple years back. It's not covered by warranty anymore. The Nintendo repair shop says it'll be about $75 to fix. They'll probably replace the unit, though.
    I've seen the actual part I need online for about $35 if memory serves.

So... What do you guys think? [​IMG]
    $75 (not to mention shipping/handling) for repair
    $35 (again, +s/h) for replacement part, possibly ruin entire DS trying to replace it
    $10 for crappy PC mic and forget that the DS even had one.

Looking forward to some replies.

2. JDMEVOIXMR

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
  3. Inferior_Design
    OP

United States
    Cool thanks!

Anybody replaced the mic before?

Some tips would be great. Most guides I've seen to opening a DS are for DS Lite, which are of no use to me...
    Now that I think of it, I haven't found a specific guide for replacing the mic anyway. I hope I don't need to solder anything. I've never done it before, and I lack the appropriate equipment.

4. JDMEVOIXMR

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I haven't replaced the mic, but getting to it to replace it shouldn't be a problem, soldering is not needed, the mic is just plug and play, you just need to unclip the other end (the one that you DON'T speak to) and put the new one in its place.

http://m3wiki.com/index.php/How_to_dismantle_a_Nintendo_Ds

5. Inferior_Design
    OP

United States
    Thanks so much.

You guys are awesome.