Homebrew I Shouldn't Update. Right?

bonusminutes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently used this video to install Luma3DS using Fredminer.
Everything has been working fine and its been great, but now that the 11.12 update is out as of Nov 4th 2019, my 3DS wants me to update. Ive declined so far, assuming that the update would overwrite my custom firmware. I just wanted to ask and make sure that this is the case.

Will updating the system get rid of my custom firmware and update it to VER 11.12 or will it update it to SYS 11.12, effectively keeping everything (luma, FBI, etc) intact?

Thanks.

EDIT: To everyone worried about this youtube video, I used it to successfully install CFW on Ver 11.11 and more recently on my buddy's 3DS (that was running 11.12). A lot of people are saying to use a certain guide (that I cannot post because Im new and the forum wont allow it), but this video does follow that guide in an easy to follow, step by step fashion, verbally and visually. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by bonusminutes,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently used this video to install Luma3DS using Fredminer.
Everything has been working fine and its been great, but now that the 11.12 update is out as of Nov 4th 2019, my 3DS wants me to update. Ive declined so far, assuming that the update would overwrite my custom firmware. I just wanted to ask and make sure that this is the case.

Will updating the system get rid of my custom firmware and update it to VER 11.12 or will it update it to SYS 11.12, effectively keeping everything (luma, FBI, etc) intact?

Thanks.
NEVER FOLLOW YT GUIDES

Reactions: E1ite007 and ry755

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Follow YT guides any time you please. Some may be out of date, and some may be made by people who are misinformed, but that is true of web-based guides too. Some of the best guides ever produced are on Youtube.
And so are some of the worst and most outdated. But to say in all caps to never follow them is just plain bad advice.

Last edited by ChibiMofo,

Wryyyong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But to say in all caps to never follow them is just plain bad advice.
It is a bad idea when the user decides to use a video guide that's 3 years out of date and focuses on an exploit that doesn't work anymore. And given all of the troubleshooting topics that pop up here daily, something like would probably happen on a depressingly regular basis.

(Refer to my signature)

Last edited by Wryyyong,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a bad idea when the user decides to use a video guide that's 3 years out of date and focuses on an exploit that doesn't work anymore. And given all of the troubleshooting topics that pop up here on a regular basis, something like would probably happen on a depressingly regular basis.

(Refer to my signature)
I agree that's why we recommend

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

As it's the most up-to-date and does not misinform the user

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Follow YT guides any time you please. Some may be out of date, and some may be made by people who are misinformed, but that is true of web-based guides too. Some of the best guides ever produced are on Youtube.
And so are some of the worst and most outdated. But to say in all caps to never follow them is just plain bad advice.
All right then smart aleck.

ONLY FOLLOW VIDEO GUIDES FOR SYSTEMS THAT ARE NO LONGER BEING UPDATED, AND EVEN THEN ONLY IF SAID VIDEO GUIDE LINKS YOU TO THE RECOMMENDED SCENE GUIDES

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only guide you will ever need is https://3ds.hacks.guide/ - MY OPINION is that you should never use Youtube guides they are quickly outdated and some are created maliciously to brick systems. If you are ever unsure about anything it is always better to ask a quick question on here. Most around here will be glad to help :)

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The guide vs video thing isn't really a matter of opinion. The 3ds guide is updated and maintained by people that are involved with the scene. Videos are made for clicks by randoms that know little to no more than how to run the scripts. We had a huge influx some time ago of people with bricked consoles that had followed random videos. Since then it's been advised not to follow video guides.

Reactions: E1ite007 and Uiaad

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you modded your system correctly (as said, video tutorials aren't the best for this), you can safely update it to 11.12.

It's always a good idea to check Luma for updates before running an OFW update. But even if you don't it's not a big deal since you can just manually download the latest Luma and copy it to SD.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Only guide you will ever need is https://3ds.hacks.guide/ - MY OPINION is that you should never use Youtube guides they are quickly outdated and some are created maliciously to brick systems. If you are ever unsure about anything it is always better to ask a quick question on here. Most around here will be glad to help :)
I have not yet seen a malicious guide purposely bricking users. There was that one case where a guy accidentally left his personal files in the A9LH install pack he provided which bricked any n3DS users that used his pack, but that was clearly by mistake. Not that that makes it OK.
While you are right on that, video guides are much harder to update since you need to edit and reupload the video, which no one bothers to do every single time there is a change. Which means they are almost always going to be at least slightly out of date compared to the holy grail http://3ds.hacks.guide, and given that new methods to hack the 3DS are still coming out on a regular basis, they could often not be working anymore, or the steps could be slightly different from what is mentioned due to changes in various homebrew, which would only serve to confuse people.
Plus, YouTube guides might tell you what to do, but they don't help you understand what you're doing, which will only lead to issues further down the line when clueless users inevitably come here to ask for help with a setup they don't understand which stopped working correctly for whatever reason (usually user error)
There is a good reason why 90% of the people that come here to ask for help with a setup that stopped working always hacked their 3DS originally with a YouTube guide, and it just creates unnecessary work for us in the community that help people out on a daily basis.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...