I need some JRPGs!

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the title says. Throw your favorites at me. I have Switch, 3DS, Wii U, GameCube, and emulators for NES, GBA, GB/GBC, and SNES.
The only no no is Final Fantasy. I'm sure the games are great but there are so many, I feel overwhelmed with picking one up. Some games I really enjoyed are
-Bravely Default/Second
-Chrono Trigger
-The Mother games
-Project Octopath Traveler
Thanks in advance!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry, just something about Final Fantasy : a lot of people would recommend their first Final fantasy.
people who played all/most of them would recommend FF4 and FF6. (I never played FF4, but I can recommend 6).

there are so many JRPG, it's hard to just recommend some.

The "Tales of" series is well acclaimed. I'd recommend the first one on Snes (tales of Phantasia), that's the only one I played so I'll let other users suggest more. I tried the beginning of tales of "destiny", "symphonia", "the abyss". I liked a lot destiny.
The star ocean series is also similar to Tales of. same concept/menu/battle system.

Super Mario RPG, even if it looks different, it's a JRPG.

Snes had a lot of JRPG. like Breath of fire, Dragon quest (though, not all translated to english), Lufia to name the more suggested and well known.

One of my preferred JRPG is Xenogears (on PS1, you can play the game with a Wii and WiiSXR).

Xenoblade on Wii, it's mixed with people who liked it and ones who didn't like the battle system.

On DS, I liked a lot Glory of Heracles. it's a little linear, but story and battle system are great.

on DS/3DS, I'd recommend Radiant Historia. (non linear parallel and time travel)

I don't know, too much to remember/list. that's the only one coming to mind right now.

You only want JRPG? not tactical ? not ARPG? or maybe you don't know this genre and you might like it. but again, there are so many different sub-genre, it's hard to suggest without knowing your tastes.

edit: too bad you didn't mention PS2/PS3/PS4, there are Persona series you could try (persona 4 is often suggested). PS1/PS2 have a lot of JRPG too. PS1 can be emulated on Wii.

Last edited by Cyan,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I second the rcommendation on Final Fantasy 6.
Actually, all that Cyan recommended X 2, specially the SNES ones. Lufia!

I will see if I can add something to it...
Regarding Tales of Phantasia, it is a great game, but I personally prefer the PS1 version.
And Tales of Destiny for PS1 is my favorite game in the whole Tales of series.

I would recommend also Grandia 2 (that is the one I played) for Dreamcast/PC/etc.
The story is lighthearted and whatsoever, but I really like that battle system (with key concepts copied by Child of Light, Project Octopath Traveler, etc.)
I would also suggest playing Chrono Cross, the OST alone is enough to make it worth it, the same goes for Xenoblade.

Then, again if you like some weird battle system (perhaps in the direction of Xenogears) go for Legend of Legaia on PS1 (well, at least I loved it, Xenogears also is great)
And talking about games whose OST alone make them worthwhile, try Wild Arms 1 for PS1.

Etc. I need to catch a bus, otherwise I would keep making this list grow. And I will, later, but first try Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey for Nintendo DS, though be warned it is a little on the First Person Dungeon Crawler side.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, you are right, I forgot Grandia ! I never played it, but it's often suggested.
It's also acclaimed a lot as "the best battle system".
Child of light (recent game, released by ubisoft) uses the same system.

I didn't know octopath would go that way too ! (I don't have a switch yet)

I tried Baten Kaitos, but the game is slow (not the story pace, the game itself, player movement, etc.)
but I tried it a long time ago, I should try it again and don't stop on that issue.

Last edited by Cyan,

Txustra

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
ah, you are right, I forgot Grandia !
It's also acclaimed a lot as "the best battle system".
Child of light (recent game, released by ubisoft) uses the same system.

I didn't know octopath would go that way too ! (I don't have a switch yet)

I tried Baten Kaitos, but the game is slow (not the story pace, the game itself, player movement, etc.)
but I tried it a long time ago, I should try it again and don't stop on that issue.

The sequel (prequel in fact, Origin), is a lot faster. It takes maybe more time to get into the battle system, but once you master it, it is glorious.

Reactions: Cyan
D

Deleted User

What the title says. Throw your favorites at me. I have Switch, 3DS, Wii U, GameCube, and emulators for NES, GBA, GB/GBC, and SNES.
The only no no is Final Fantasy. I'm sure the games are great but there are so many, I feel overwhelmed with picking one up. Some games I really enjoyed are
-Bravely Default/Second
-Chrono Trigger
-The Mother games
-Project Octopath Traveler
Thanks in advance!
I highly recommend the Squaresoft and Enix RPG´s from the SNES Era.
Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1&2, Sigma Star Saga, Riviera the promised Land, Yuggdra Union (more off a TJRPG) for the GBA are are also highly recommended.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a newly-translated Tengai Makyou for SNES, but you might need trickery to get it to work properly. Mystic Ark is enjoyable. Breath of Fire is fun. SMT games are fun. Return to Popolocrois is worth investing time in. Dragon Quest 7/8 will eat your time up, in a good way. Lufia games are interesting. Oriental Blue is a sleeper. Earthlock is better-than-expected.

lolz5521

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Suikoden, Grandia, Final Fantasy, Legend of Heroes series, and SMT series are some of the best jrpg i have played, but looks like you are limited to nintendo only console, so maybe xenoblade chronicles, and golden sun is also quite nice.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Cyan, post: 7653428, member: 746"
You only want JRPG? not tactical ? not ARPG? or maybe you don't know this genre and you might like it. but again, there are so many different sub-genre, it's hard to suggest without knowing your tastes.

Not a huge fan of tactical. Too many units for my liking. I'm assuming ARPG is American Role Playing Game. I haven't played any but I'd be open to them.

As for emulated PS games, I don't have the resources to exploit my Wii U or vWii because I'd have to purchase fairly large SD cards that I don't really want to spend money on.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll definitely look into as many of these as I can!

Last edited by Nerdtendo,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not a huge fan of tactical. Too many units for my liking. I'm assuming ARPG is American Role Playing Game. I haven't played any but I'd be open to them.

As for emulated PS games, I don't have the resources to exploit my Wii U or vWii because I'd have to purchase fairly large SD cards that I don't really want to spend money on.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll definitely look into as many of these as I can!

No, ARPG is Action RPG like the SNES games: Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer, (some would say Zelda)... or Secret of Mana :)

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES era are the best:

Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Lufia 1 & 2
Terranigma

EDIT:

Thought of some more (haven't played in ages.)

Lennus 2
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Earthbound
Robotrek

There are tons more for SNES, but that is a list of ones I have played and are very fun.

PS: I know you said no FF games, but I highly recommend the SNES ones. Especially 5, but stay away from FF Mystic Quest. FF 4, 5, and 6 are awesome games.

Last edited by 0100100001001001,
Reactions: sarkwalvein

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suikoden 1 and 2, in that order. There are tactical elements/portions but they are very simple compared to, say, FF Tactics or the Fire Emblem series. I suck at tactical RPGs and the battles, specifically in Suikoden 2(more complex than S1), never kept me from enjoying those amazing games. #1 is a very good game, but 2 is the masterpiece. Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG of all time but Suikoden 2 nearly ties it and does tie FFVI imo just to give you an idea how highly I regard that game.

You can carry your save data from 1 over to 2 and get some cool extras, but I can't really be specific without spoiling stuff. If you dig quirky, interesting JRPGs with fantastic characters and good stories, I think you'll really love these games, especially #2.

EDIT: Someone already mentioned Suikoden; I feel kinda silly. I have only played 1-3, 3 was fairly good but not my thing. 4 is apparently the black sheep of the series and 5, from what I've heard, is a pretty damn good game and I need to take a look at it. I'd prefer to get the actual disc but if it's still expensive I'll just fire up PCSX2.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,
D

Deleted User

Haven't read through all the replies on this thread, so there will probably be doubles, but here are some suggestions :
  • Fire Emblem 7
  • Mother 3
  • Earthbound
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Persona 3 (any version)
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • TearRing Saga (never played, but it's essentially Fire Emblem on the PlayStation)
  • Shining Force CD

Reactions: sarkwalvein

P3Temp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A great and unique JRPG with English fan translation would be The Last Ranker on PSP. Not a big fan of RPG but really enjoyed that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol