Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Max Payne 2 - Fall of Max Payne_SLUS-20814_20240302153649.png
Original

Max Payne 2 - Fall of Max Payne_SLUS-20814_20240302153656.png
Load Textures

I'm trying to port textures from the PC version of Max Payne 2 to a PS2 game.
Problem with apparently with alpha channels of PC version textures (they are in DDS format, have alpha channel, but no opacity).

I can't figure out how to solve the problem...

Here are some examples of textures:
(Dump PS2 in PNG and PC version in DDS)

Attachments

• examples.rar
    898.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: mvp899

mvp899

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
View attachment 423382
Original

View attachment 423383
Load Textures

I'm trying to port textures from the PC version of Max Payne 2 to a PS2 game.
Problem with apparently with alpha channels of PC version textures (they are in DDS format, have alpha channel, but no opacity).

I can't figure out how to solve the problem...

Here are some examples of textures:
(Dump PS2 in PNG and PC version in DDS)
use XnConvert to convert dds images to png

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I used it
But the problem is still the same.

It's not the format, it's the alpha channel/transparency, there's a problem
The images have to be set to 50% opacity for transparencies to work properly. I found an article on how to batch-convert transparencies here: https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=35607
I recommend trying method 2 first. save images as png's first then batch convert transparencies then convert to DDS with a program like Custom Texture Tool PS.

Reactions: c0rexe

c0rexe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Is gaming experience between PC and PS2 so different that these actions like transferring textures from PC version to PS2 are worthy of such trouble?

Or is it just that textures of PC version are so good that just upscaling dumps from PS2 will not hold a candle to those textures from PC?

Asking out of pure curiosity.

SadOrigami

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Is gaming experience between PC and PS2 so different that these actions like transferring textures from PC version to PS2 are worthy of such trouble?

Or is it just that textures of PC version are so good that just upscaling dumps from PS2 will not hold a candle to those textures from PC?

PC games have uncompressed textures (often found on the more powerful Xbox/Gamecube version of the game), they have more detail. Upscalers cannot match those textures since the only thing they do is to make an image crisper, but detail usually remains the same as they cannot create new detail, only try to reconstruct it (often failing to do it properly), and sometimes they produce stuff that cannot be identified as you start to zoom in because they are unable to reconstruct pixelated detail. But some games have the same textures on all versions.

KRIL8VQ.jpgcapture2.png

Reactions: CCKrizalid

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States

I know that games like Metal Gear Solid has cut content from the PS2 version in every other version of the game so there are rare cases where PS2 is still the best version except in graphics, so might as well get the best version of the textures.

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
PC games have uncompressed textures (often found on the more powerful Xbox/Gamecube version of the game), they have more detail. Upscalers cannot match those textures since the only thing they do is to make an image crisper, but detail usually remains the same as they cannot create new detail, only try to reconstruct it (often failing to do it properly), and sometimes they produce stuff that cannot be identified as you start to zoom in because they are unable to reconstruct pixelated detail. But some games have the same textures on all versions.

View attachment 423716View attachment 423721
And what about games like Devil May Cry 3 Standart and Special Edition? I'm pretty sure that game in Play Station 2 version have best effects and textures...so what do you think?

SadOrigami

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
And what about games like Devil May Cry 3 Standart and Special Edition? I'm pretty sure that game in Play Station 2 version have best effects and textures...so what do you think?
Not every game has to be better. In fact, games from that era looked better on the PlayStation 2, probably because the console's API was more advanced than the old DirectX that was pretty simple and couldn't replicate the cool postprocessing effects that the PS2 had. Good examples of that are Silent Hill 2 soft shadows and Silent Hill 3 advanced texture effects (search for a comparison between the PC and PS2 of the car scene and look at the windows). And in some game ports the devs might have screwed more than just textures or they couldn't correctly port them for some reason or another. But I've explained the process before, so it's pretty clear why some versions have better texture quality than others.

And for upscales, just look at both Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Resident Evil 4.
  • For the Legacy of Kain remaster Raina had to use the Dreamcast version which is superior in graphics and has more framerate than the PSX version.
  • For the RE4 remaster the team had to use the Gamecube textures for Leon's hair since it has more resolution and quality than the PS2 one.

Reactions: CCKrizalid

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Not every game has to be better. In fact, games from that era looked better on the PlayStation 2, probably because the console's API was more advanced than the old DirectX that was pretty simple and couldn't replicate the cool postprocessing effects that the PS2 had. Good examples of that are Silent Hill 2 soft shadows and Silent Hill 3 advanced texture effects (search for a comparison between the PC and PS2 of the car scene and look at the windows). And in some game ports the devs might have screwed more than just textures or they couldn't correctly port them for some reason or another. But I've explained the process before, so it's pretty clear why some versions have better texture quality than others.

And for upscales, just look at both Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Resident Evil 4.
  • For the Legacy of Kain remaster Raina had to use the Dreamcast version which is superior in graphics and has more framerate than the PSX version.
  • For the RE4 remaster the team had to use the Gamecube textures for Leon's hair since it has more resolution and quality than the PS2 one.
Thanks for this info. It was very useful. And yes. It seems that some complicated actions are worth bothering with.

Reactions: SadOrigami

kupo-on-gbatem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PC games have uncompressed textures (often found on the more powerful Xbox/Gamecube version of the game), they have more detail.

I would not say that the textures of gamecube versions always have more details. I made texture packs for the gamecube versions of Need for Speed Underground 2 and Need for Speed Most Wanted a few years ago. And the textures in these gamecube versions are heavily compressed due to the small disc space of gamecube games. For my upscales I used the textures from the PC and XBOX360 version which are 2-4x bigger than the gamecube ones.

Here are some comparison shots from Most Wanted:
If I had used the gamecube textures for my upscale instead, I probably would have gotten a blurry mess.

But in my opinion the lighting is often better in the gamecube versions. And the texture replacement feature also works better in Dolphin, which is why I always choose the gamecube versions over the ps2 versions, if I can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: