I need alittle help with flash carts

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by joezueno, Mar 16, 2009.

Mar 16, 2009
  1. joezueno
    OP

Newcomer joezueno Newbie

United States
    Ok so I am looking to buy a new flash cart, I think ive narrowed my options down to the Acekard2 or the Edge...What Im wondering is which has the best support for games?? I dont wanna buy a new card only to have support dropped 4 months later...

All the extra options are just perks so guys give me some opinions before I make my decision

P.s. I wasnt sure where to post this so I apologize if its in the wrong section

2. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The AK is known for their superior support for commercial ROM's.

I don't know about the EDGE, as the EDGE's review is as useful as MSpaint - it explains no extra options or anything!

3. joezueno
    OP

Newcomer joezueno Newbie

United States
    Thats good to know, How are updates for current games? Anyone else have any other opinions?? Im prolly gonna buy one tonite so Id like to see alittle more feedback

4. imqchummy

Newcomer imqchummy Member

Canada
    Acekard 2 are great. You can organize all your games in different folders and I believe it's the best card available for the price.
    Use AKAIO 1.4.1 on your acekard 2, you won't regret it!!!
    Normmatt and Smiths are behind AKAIO and a solution is always quick if any problem occurs!

5. joezueno
    OP

Newcomer joezueno Newbie

United States
    Thats really awesome to hear!! I just put an order in for an acekard2...2-5 days shipping and a 2 gig stick for 30 bucks... sound like an ok deal??

6. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It seems that the EDGE always hada little bounce when its comes to games like it will be able to play games without a firmware update usually by luck. But that's not my point

As pointed out in the GBATemp Review of the EDGE card, it was only a mere copy of the CycloDS. Like MOST flashcards since the beginning of DS flashing, the main screen is entitled with 3 options: DS Game, Moonshell, and GBA.

But then came the Acekard.

The Acekard 2.1 revolutionizes the way you see games with a very, very nice OS and customizable skins that will just knock your socks. Constant updates for the cheapest flashcard around, what more could you ask for? GBATemp gave it the Golden Award (same with EDGE) but that was with the Official FW.

Here comes, AKAIO. AKAIO is an Alternative FW Team for the Acekards that keep coming up with surprises for us to use. With GTA, it was only a matter of hours until GBATemp's own AKAIO team had a firmware update for GTA along with a billion fixes. Noting the EDGE Card FW update, they only fixed GTA.

Bottomline: The Acekard will live to be the most active card on the market because not only does have the official team creating FW updates but it also has the AKAIO Team making them even faster and better than official team does.

Acekard v2.1 + AKAIO v1.4.1 = Ultimate Flashing Experience

~ Jon

7. Hakoda

United States
    You could have gone to Realhotstuff.com and bought the Acekard v2.1 bundled with a Kingston 2GB MicroSD all for $23 excluding Shipping. Realhotstuff.com also has the Acekard 2 for $20 bucks and FREE US 1st Class Mail.

I'm buying mine from DealExtreme.com only because I want to stay cheap and I don't mind waiting. DX has it for $12 but free 2 - 3 WEEK shipping.

8. W.I.C.K.E.D.

Member W.I.C.K.E.D. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the acekard is great as the above poster stated, but his comment about the firmware of the edge was incorrect. Not many cards would make a firmware update just because of compatability issues with one game. This is where the edge shines. They really try their best to help or resolve any problems fast. Those updates for the acekard you see on the front page, the edge already has them, reason it didn't require much fixed in most recent firmware. Either card you get, I believe these are two of the best out there, so good luck and I know you'll enjoy whatever choice you decide upon. HAVE FUN!!!

p.s. The edge has a nice GUI too and is skinnable either by the skin maker on their site, or u can use cyclo skins. C'mon, this thing is a clone of the best cart you can buy, minus a few features that shouldn't break anyones thoughts on buying one. And it costs about one fourth of what you'll pay for a cyclo if you know where to buy it.

9. Hakoda

United States
    Sorry for the incorrect criticism on the EDGE Card, drwrir. Although there is a big difference between $50 for a CycloDS and $15 for an EDGE Card.

Acekard v2.1 + AKAIO v1.4.1 is still my favorite.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    akaio firmware is tinkered with on a daily basis in attempts to always make it better and faster. sometimes a new hooking dma method breaks a few old hacks and games must be updated. every other linker i own puts out game fixes but never (ever) updates the firmware in any other way. akaio fixes appear as lumps because you only see the public versions. i get to see the fixes daily as i play with the beta builds. my point is that these games are almost always fixed first (like gta:cw) but people don't know about it until later.

-another world

11. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    Acekard had a fix for DQV and GTA before any other flashcard.

Plus the UI on an Acekard is just incredibly awesome.

12. joezueno
    OP

Newcomer joezueno Newbie

United States
    I did buy the acekard from "realhotstuff" but im a nerd and cant wait, So I opted to pay the extra 6 dollars and some cents for the 2-5day shipping..Seems it has already shipped and will be here tomorrow O_O whoohooo!!

This is really really good information guys, Im glad I decided to post here! I do have one more question tho:

Team Akaio, do they use the original firmwares that team acekard comes out with and tweaks them? or is it thier own firmware alkl together?
    Say Team acekard dissappears will Team Akaio be able to continue support for new games? I kno it seems paranoid but I got shafted with the R4 and thier team just stopped support

13. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    akaio started with the 4.08 sources (or was it 4.07?). the firmware now can't even be compaired to the official. it has been rewritten and tweaked out. if acekard stopped production tomorrow akaio would continue to be developed (as long as norm and smiths had working kits to dev with).

-another world

14. joezueno
    OP

Newcomer joezueno Newbie

United States
    So I got my acekard2 yesterday, I am thourghly pleased with Akaio 1.4.1, its absolutley aweosme! all my games work! I was wondering tho how do I tell what version I have? I see posts about different colors or something...all I kno is the sticker says ver. 2.1..

Also If I wanted to use moonshel which one should I use? the one from the acekard website?

Nvm about the version I just figured out what to look for, I have the Black PCB it looks like which as far as I kno is the latest version..I Would like to kno about moonshel tho...Thnx for everyones help

15. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I don't think there are any other versions being sold now, so you probably have the newest Acekard 2.1 (which comes in several colored PCB's including black, blue, and green).

You would probably want to grab the beta of Moonshell 2.

I believe Normmatt wrote a Moonshell 2 plug-in that allows you to run (at least some) commercial ROMs from Moonshell 2. More information here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=138693

-Bri