I need a class 6 SDHC for Acekard

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Diosoth, Dec 17, 2008.

Dec 17, 2008
  1. Diosoth
    OP

Member Diosoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm trying to find a good brand Class 6 Micro SDHC stick for the Acekard. Any solid suggestions?

I can't find anything above class 4 from Kingston, which sucks as it was the preferred brand. I've also heard a LOT of bad things about A-Data and Transcend brand sticks in general.

2. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    There is no need for a class 6 card i have a class 4 8GB Kingston in my acekard2 and it works just fine no slowdowns or anything

3. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Heard A-DATA is really good. And so far the best commented here besides Kingston.

A-DATA 4GB Micro SDHC Class 6 It's only $7.49 USD

Go for it...

4. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    Why get a 4GB when you can get this nice 8GB for 2 bux more and with FREE SHIPPING!!!

Kingston 8GB Class 4

5. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    You heard wrong.

6. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    a-data 4gbs are probably the best you can get at the moment. kingston isn't all that great, they only have a good rep because some of their cards are rebranded toshiba

7. Diosoth
    OP

United States

Which is funny as I can never find actual Toshiba brand cards anywhere. I currently have 2 Kingston Japan SD-C02G cards, 2 GB, which are rebranded Toshiba and reported to be some of the better sticks for flash card usage. I paid $3 apiece for them. But I find the 2 GB capacity isn't quite what I need for games.

8. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    My kingston 4G class 4 outperforms my verbatim 4G class 6. Go figure, it's not all about the class rating it passes for the sd associate badge.

9. dagreenone

Newcomer dagreenone Advanced Member

United States
    I have a class 6 Transcend card and it works just fine. Got it from Newegg, I think.

10. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    yeah, i think the toshiba branded ones are mostly only sold in japan. a bunch of other western companies sell them though - i've happened upon two by chance under different brands, one 1gb dane-elec and one 2gb integral, both cheaper than the prices kingston sold for at the time (and of course with kingston, unless you see the actual card when buying, you might land one of the inferior taiwan versions). you just need to look out for the SD-CXXX JAPAN text, it appears on all toshibas i think (not sure about HC)

11. Diosoth
    OP

United States
    Radio Shack is my best local outlet and they charge an insane fortune for much any card. I'd have to order anyting to get a decent price.

Now, if only I could determine if my unbranded Micro SD reader can read SDHC as well... PC properties show it as a Chipbank brand reader, which I can find zippo about via google. If it can't read SDHC then I need to pay extra for a reader that can.

12. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    +1 for Adata, I've had mine for a few months now with no problems.

Still, I don't know why anyone would have need for more than 2 gigs... well I suppose music and video. But I only use mine for a few games at a time.

13. AXYPB

Member AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I also second the A-DATA 4GB.

14. DMPugh

Newcomer DMPugh Advanced Member

Canada
    I third it. Used it with my old CycloDS Evo, and am using it now with my Acekard 2.1 Works perfectly.

15. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    4th it, been using an adata 4gb since xmas of last year i think on my ak rpg, not a single problem ever

16. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i have 1 2gb card just for dsoom and 1 just for neods. when you start to carry genesis, snes, nes, sega gamegear and master system, gameboy, scummvm, and then you want nds roms as well and homebrew... you quickly run out of space. it isn't always convenient to carry more than 1 msd on you at any one time.

speaking of movies i have 1 2gb just for movies when i travel. i'm in the market for an 8gb myself, but i'm just not sure what to purchase yet.

-another world

17. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, there you go. I just use my psp for that. It be pretty. Still cool though, I didn't realize there were emulators on NDS for all that out there.

18. Diosoth
    OP

United States
    Amazon bumped their 4 GB Kingston with USB reader down to $9. I have free 2 day shipping right now as I'm on a 1 month Amazon Prime trial memebrship. As my current ROM and homebrew selection doesn't even reach 3 GB, I decided paying $19 for an 8 GB card was too much for my needs.

19. Diosoth
    OP

United States
    I got the 4 GB Kingston today. It's stamped C04G JAPAN and so far, works just as well as my 2 GB sticks do. The Micro SD reader that was included with it is cute, if tiny, but the Chipbank reader that Stuffs4Kids sent me with the Acekard reads MicroSDHC and seems to be fast enough to notmess with the tiny Kingston reader.

20. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Another alternative is Transcend. I have one myself. No problems at all!