I may be a victim of identity theft...

MegaMario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is a serious topic. If you do not have anything to contribute to help me, then please leave.

OK, this happened today.

I was checking my email, and one of the emails said it was from Bank of America. I read the email, and it said that my card had been used, so I need to verify some information to make sure that it was me. Now the thing is, the very first time I used my debit card was yesterday, so this email made plenty of sense. It said that I should verify my account info or my account would be suspended. So I clicked on the link it told me to go to.

Now at the same time, my sister started accusing me of something unrelated, so I was completely distracted.

The page brought me to what looked like the legit Bank of America web page. Because I was distracted, I did not pay attention to the url. So I proceeded to "log in", and in the process, gave them my online banking username and password. It then went to a page full of information boxes. Things such as email, social security, date of birth, phone number, address, mother's maiden name, card number, expiration date, and some more important things. Now I would normally have been very cautious when entering this information, but because I was distracted and certain things were going on in my life, I did not pay attention to it. So I filled out all of the information...

After I filled out the info and submitted it, firefox then pops up and says, "This page might be a fraud." Yeah, thanks a lot firefox. I really appreciate it. After this, I went backed and checked the page, and sure enough, it was a fake.

I immediately proceeded to call Bank of America and cancel my account. I changed my info with them, and they did everything they could. I changed my important passwords linked with the email.

And the thing now, is that they have my personal information. My name, social security, address, etc. And when I checked the source of the fraud page, it turned out to be a spanish web site. This might be a scam to get information to give to the illegal aliens into America so that they can steal another person's identity for their own uses. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

And here is the link to the fraudulent website:

THE FOLLOWING IS A SCAM WEBSITE. SO NOT FILL OUT ANY INFO!!!

dont.post.the.site.just.the.name.of.it.thx-admin Net101 - Don't open emails or go to sites you don't know about - Thug.

I appreciate any help. And please, if you are not going to help me, just get out of this topic.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
theres a company out there, i'm not sure of the name but they protect you from identity theft. i saw the guy on good morning america and he gave out his socia security number and info on the show to prove how reliable his company is at protecting you, google around for identity theft security

i'll see if i can find the name of that company

edit: heres the company http://www.lifelock.com/ i'm not endorsing tis company in anyway i've never tried them and they could be shite but its worth checking out if you're really worried
'
but also do what hiratai said

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
firefox told me it was a fraud website right away, good ol firefox.

I'm not sure what they can do with your address and social security but I don't think they can do much....just be glad you caught onto it being a fake site before they got your moneys

MegaMario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
firefox told me it was a fraud website right away, good ol firefox.

It told me that RIGHT AFTER I clicked submit. What are the chances?
frown.gif

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
firefox reported it right away for me as well.

I think you did all you could. Best thing to do now is figure out how they got your mail. Make a new mail account start fresh and dont post it on any site. I have 2 mail accounts, one for biz like paypal ebay etc. and one for mail.

edit; stupid me

edit; 1000th post
laugh.gif

MegaMario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the website was in Spanish. The thing I was concerned about was the Mexicans taking my social and other info for a fake ID if they were to come into America illegally.

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dont US ids have pictures of the owner on them?

Edit: aight I keep making retarded comments. Dont mind me I'm off to bed.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the website was in Spanish. The thing I was concerned about was the Mexicans taking my social and other info for a fake ID if they were to come into America illegally.

Dude, that has to be the smartess plan any Mexican could have done. I would've NEVER thought of doing that.

Is what here is known as "chueco", you use a SSN that belongs to some one else, I've heard the term many times.
The harm of that to the actual owner is minimal as I think of it. Let's hope it turns out who is behind this fraud.

Still, that was a terrible mistake to actually do that, everything I could say would be to prevent something like this to happen, not to fix it.
Still, good luck with that dude.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure you've definitely gave out all your personal info.

I don't know if what Hiratai said about letting the proper authorities trace it and do the right thing would work, since I've never came across this kind of issue before.

I really suggest you find all the help you can get, including asking Bank of America what you/they can do to fix this somehow.

You seriously have my condolences.

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still doubt they'll do anything. I mean if you got an email, that eans millions of others got the email. It could just be an over used scam site.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I still doubt they'll do anything. I mean if you got an email, that eans millions of others got the email. It could just be an over used scam site.

your new to the 419 scam aren't you?

they send thousands of these but obviously only a few people answer them, that minority is enough to make this scam profitable. There are tons of variations of this same scam like the ebay email scam which is very similar to yours.

Edit: Two articles mentioning your scam

http://www.thetaoofmakingmoney.com/2006/12/06/140.html
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1658751,00.asp

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, having been a victim of identity theft (the only time in my life I order pizza for delivery, geez, that'll learn me good) my bank was very willing to work with me.

All I can say is closely monitor your account online for the next week to a month and watch for any purchases that aren't yours and then immediately contact your bank.

MegaMario

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I actually closed the account completely. My main concern is them taking all of my personal info and using it for something that could harm me in the future. I am contemplating changing my last name. Would that fix it? (And yes, I know that is a drastic measure, but I don't really like my last name anyway
wink.gif
)

And thanks for all of the help guys. I asked about this on GameFAQs, and over 75% of the replies were either laughing at me or just not helpful in any way. This really shows a lot about the members of GBAtemp.

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

your new to the 419 scam aren't you?

they send thousands of these but obviously only a few people answer them, that minority is enough to make this scam profitable. There are tons of variations of this same scam like the ebay email scam which is very similar to yours.

Edit: Two articles mentioning your scam

http://www.thetaoofmakingmoney.com/2006/12/06/140.html
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1658751,00.asp
The 419 scams had to do when people would buy stuff from them and get there money or vice versa. Also, they lived in Nigeria. Spanish isn't even a tongue n Nigeria, let alone the core basis of Africa.

Spain/Mexico > Nigeria

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I actually closed the account completely. My main concern is them taking all of my personal info and using it for something that could harm me in the future. I am contemplating changing my last name. Would that fix it? (And yes, I know that is a drastic measure, but I don't really like my last name anyway
wink.gif
)

And thanks for all of the help guys. I asked about this on GameFAQs, and over 75% of the replies were either laughing at me or just not helpful in any way. This really shows a lot about the members of GBAtemp.
Changing your name wont help at all. There's millions of people with the exact same name as yours. Unless your name is like Urgetfet Yusuertiok.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back