Hardware I made a horrible mistake, avoid Sony MDRV55

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, a few months back, I decided to get some Sony MDVR55 headphones for my birthday, thinking they looked cool, but also basing them off of how many positive reviews. Four stars, very little negative reviews, so I got them. That as a huge mistake, because they're uncomfortable as hell, despite the reviews saying "Oh they're so comfortable, derr here!" See, I used them for a few days after getting them, ears started to hurt, and the headphones started to feel quite warm, even after 30 minutes of use, and the band proving to be painful. I thought that the headphones would get loosened up over time, nope, no dice; as a result, I stopped using them until last week. Used them multiple times, I still can't use them for more than 30-45 minutes. The sound quality is pretty good, but they creak a lot when I move my head, the band is not loosening, they're still too painful to use. To make it worse, I waited too long to return it, so I'll never see that refund that I could have used for something better. I suppose the main purpose of this is, is there a better headphone, similarly priced, that doesn't drill into my head or ears, something that I can actually use for more than a half hour without excruciating pain? You'd think that Sony, being a leader in electronics, would actually know how to more than half-ass their line of products like this, now, I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500 that I've had for a long time. They've served me well, but the material around the cans is wearing out, and it's not a gaming headset, either, I don't know what I was thinking trying to replace them with that piece of crap. I was looking around, and I saw this:

Logitech G633
https://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-G...&qid=1538613662&sr=1-3&keywords=Logitech+G633

Yes. they are around 90 dollars, but they look a helluva lot better and more comfortable than the MDVR55's by far. Do you have any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $100 so I can get them someday. Thanks :P

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't use headsets or anything gamer-oriented. Since I make a lot of music, choice in headphones is always quite important to me. I decided most recently to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M20X studio monitors. The upsides of them are that they've got a high-quality physical build, and sound to match. These generally go for around $50 USD. The biggest downside, if you can consider it one, is that the cable is extremely long, and non-removable, as the product was designed with studio use in mind. This does not affect me much, and in fact has been more of a benefit than a hindrance in my use case. Another small downside is that the plug end piece is rather large, so the headphones can't be connected to most phones that have a case on them.

Audio-Technica's higher tiered options in the same product line introduce better features this one lacks, like a detachable cable, fold-ability, a carrying case, and more premium construction. If I could afford to, I would have stepped up to the ATH-M40x or ATH-M50x, the M40x tends to cost around $100 USD new and has most of the same features you'd find in the higher priced variant, and the same pros you'll find in the variant I chose as well.

If you were looking for something with a microphone, though, I really can't help. I don't think I could ever enjoy a headset when, to me, a desk mic or stand mic is much more desirable. If you go with the budget friendly $50 (or less, if on sale) option I proposed, you could pick up a decent desk mic with the other $50 (or less) you proposed as a budget limit.

Product links:

ATH-M20x

ATH-M20x w/ Clip Mic

Be wary of this one, I just happened to come across it while browsing Amazon. Thought it may interest you if the intent is headphone + mic.

ATH-M40x
Unfortunately, I can only find this bundle with a hard case that increases the price a bit, at least on Amazon, but I do know other sites will carry the product for a lower price if you forego the hard shell case.

I won't link the M50x because it's out of your proposed $100 or less budget, even without any add-on items.
I do hope your search goes well and that you'll report back with whatever you end up deciding on.

Edit:

Found the M40x product page:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use headsets or anything gamer-oriented. Since I make a lot of music, choice in headphones is always quite important to me. I decided most recently to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M20X studio monitors. The upsides of them are that they've got a high-quality physical build, and sound to match. These generally go for around $50 USD. The biggest downside, if you can consider it one, is that the cable is extremely long, and non-removable, as the product was designed with studio use in mind. This does not affect me much, and in fact has been more of a benefit than a hindrance in my use case. Another small downside is that the plug end piece is rather large, so the headphones can't be connected to most phones that have a case on them.

Audio-Technica's higher tiered options in the same product line introduce better features this one lacks, like a detachable cable, fold-ability, a carrying case, and more premium construction. If I could afford to, I would have stepped up to the ATH-M40x or ATH-M50x, the M40x tends to cost around $100 USD new and has most of the same features you'd find in the higher priced variant, and the same pros you'll find in the variant I chose as well.

If you were looking for something with a microphone, though, I really can't help. I don't think I could ever enjoy a headset when, to me, a desk mic or stand mic is much more desirable. If you go with the budget friendly $50 (or less, if on sale) option I proposed, you could pick up a decent desk mic with the other $50 (or less) you proposed as a budget limit.

Product links:

ATH-M20x

ATH-M20x w/ Clip Mic

Be wary of this one, I just happened to come across it while browsing Amazon. Thought it may interest you if the intent is headphone + mic.

ATH-M40x
Unfortunately, I can only find this bundle with a hard case that increases the price a bit, at least on Amazon, but I do know other sites will carry the product for a lower price if you forego the hard shell case.

I won't link the M50x because it's out of your proposed $100 or less budget, even without any add-on items.
I do hope your search goes well and that you'll report back with whatever you end up deciding on.

How are Audio Technici's products overall? I haven't had any experience with them, and I'm willing to try them out, I'll look more into those models, thanks :P

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh that's interesting. I owned that model years ago (SONY MDR-V55) and those were fantastic for the price. Lasted quite a while too.
Sad to see they didn't work nicely for you.

I own this very model now, they're a bit pricey but really worth it! Best headphones I've ever used.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
How are Audio Technici's products overall? I haven't had any experience with them, and I'm willing to try them out, I'll look more into those models, thanks :P
Top notch. I happened to actually get my pair at 50% off around Christmastime a couple years ago, and it was an absolute steal for me. Blown away by the quality. I'm probably going to be a brand loyalist for these products for the foreseeable future.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that's interesting. I owned that model years ago (SONY MDR-V55) and those were fantastic for the price. Lasted quite a while too.
Sad to see they didn't work nicely for you.

I own this very model now, they're a bit pricey but really worth it! Best headphones I've ever used.
Yeah, that's what I find baffling, because the reviews were all very good and reassuring *sigh* I feel bad for wasting money on this, ugh >.>

My Sony XB500's are still kicking, just looking for a change of pace mostly :P

Top notch. I happened to actually get my pair at 50% off around Christmastime a couple years ago, and it was an absolute steal for me. Blown away by the quality. I'm probably going to be a brand loyalist for these products for the foreseeable future.

I'll keep looking them up, the do seem nice.

lol. why is gaming gear so ugly/

I'm looking for a new headset, nothing crappy either or cheap, really.

@Sophie-bear So, these headphones, https://smile.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ I noticed they have a 3.5 mm jack on end, and a bigger one on the the other; do these not hook up to standard speakers with a 3.5 mm jack?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
@Sophie-bear So, these headphones, https://smile.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ I noticed they have a 3.5 mm jack on end, and a bigger one on the the other; do these not hook up to standard speakers with a 3.5 mm jack?
They're 3.5mm on each end, as far as I know.
The long end is the end you'd plug into your sound output device, the other end of the cable looks like it does because it screws into the headphones.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're 3.5mm on each end, as far as I know.
The long end is the end you'd plug into your sound output device, the other end of the cable looks like it does because it screws into the headphones.
Hmm, I ask because i see these images on Amazon for the product in question:

81EmwCQLTSL._SL1500_.jpg

I just want to make sure they can connect to my speakers is all, I don't use the front controls at all for audio.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

I just want to make sure they can connect to my speakers is all, I don't use the front controls at all for audio.

AAAA Not trying to give you misinfo. I think the headphone side is not 3.5mm after all, but that shouldn't matter.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

81EmwCQLTSL._SL1500_.jpg

My cables look like this.

The tiny tip goes in the headphones, and the other end is a standard 3.5 mm tip.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
And that locks into the headphones themselves, right? The seem pretty solid though :P
Correct. Pretty solid, been using the same cable for over a year and still hasn't gotten defective.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
And that locks into the headphones themselves, right? The seem pretty solid though :P

Nah, the 1/4" adapter is for studio use, such as if you have an audio interface that outputs from a 1/4" jack. It would replace the 3.5mm you plug into an output device if you chose to use it.
You likely wouldn't need it otherwise at all.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. Pretty solid, been using the same cable for over a year and still hasn't gotten defective.

Okay, sounds good :P

Nah, the 1/4" adapter is for studio use, such as if you have an audio interface that outputs from a 1/4" jack. It would replace the 3.5mm you plug into an output device if you chose to use it.

I'm confused now, what adapter? I only see two ends of the cable, are you saying I have to use an adapter now to plug into a 3.5" jack?

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm confused now, what adapter? I only see two ends of the cable, are you saying I have to use an adapter now to plug into a 3.5" jack?
Sorry here's the part that locks in the headphones, for what I use:
upload_2018-10-3_21-34-48.png

the other bit is just a normal 3.5 mm jack, with a thread for a bigger tip to adapt and be used for studio stuff, as said above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: