Homebrew I know I already created an Snes9xGx thread, but...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After following the instructions that some people kindly suggested I do (thread - http://tinyurl.com/cequ3hk ), I'm really baffled about a similar issue. In fact, the exact opposite had just occurred, my hard drive runs the emulator perfectly (so far) yet the SDHC refuses to locate the ROM directory and also refuses to create save states when both directories are clearly configured properly. I haven't changed it ever since I started using Snes9xGx back in early 2010. At first I thought the Snes9xGx forwarder I installed six months was the culprit. So, I decided to install one of mastershoes' wad last night to see if it was the older forwarder's fault. While it installed without a hitch and loads the emulator just fine, it was all in vain; the emulator still refuses to identify the ROM directory.

Here's the part that confuses me the most; so I load up the emulator, and naturally, it found the USB device first, so I change both save/load devices to "SD". I go back to ROM folder and everything looks the way it should, so I go ahead and load a game. The game runs fine, but when I decide to make a save state, I get the error "save failed" and then I decide to swap games. That's when it refuses to load the folder, heck, when I go to "up one level" and then to the "SD:\snes9xgx" folder on the SDHC card, it doesn't open. It goes through an infinite loop making the SDHC completely unnavigable. Maybe this is why GenplusGX doesn't load up properly anymore. The card very well could be dying and/or contain corrupted flash RAM.

And before you ask, I have deleted both files that control the configuration (both in SD:\apps\snes9xgx\meta.xml and SD:\snes9xgx\config.txt), but that too didn't do a bloody thing. The funny thing is, after the emulator couldn't find the ROMs, I went to see what the device was set to, the load device was set to "auto" when I didn't so much as change it to that, but did it on its own accord.

How this emulator could work off an SDHC card fine one day and stop working altogether a couple of days later without changing anything is beyond me. Maybe I should just get a new SDHC card since I've had this one for a while now (even SDHC cards should last longer than a paltry two years).

Maybe Kingston brand SDHC cards are just plain and simply crappy.

mastershoes

GameTDB Mod & Retro Cover Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you're using Wiimpathy's cover-mod, and not Tantrics official release, correct??

I had the same issue with 4.2.9 v1 when it was released. The update to 4.2.9 v2 fixed that issue for me... Can you double check that you're using v2??

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question

Have you manually created the folders on the root of both the SD/USB (might be gx on the end)

Snes9x/saves
Snes9x/roms
Snes9x/cheats

If not and they are not there create them and try again, i had the same issue when i wanted saves on the SD while games were on the USB.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you think your sdhc is dying, than you should try to reformat it. This procedure should mark bad blocks, just like the wii nand flash does.
The total capacity of the sdcard can become a little smaller, but it should work reliable again.
A windows checkdisk on the card wouldn't hurt either. There is always the possibility that the file system became partially corrupt.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question

Have you manually created the folders on the root of both the SD/USB (might be gx on the end)

Snes9x/saves
Snes9x/roms
Snes9x/cheats

If not and they are not there create them and try again, i had the same issue when i wanted saves on the SD while games were on the USB.

Yep, they are exactly how they should be set up, and have been ever since I got the card two years ago. You want me to try recreating the folder hierarchy and see if that works? Alright, I can do that and will report my results. I think the card may be dying and/or corrupted.

If you think your sdhc is dying, than you should try to reformat it. This procedure should mark bad blocks, just like the wii nand flash does.
The total capacity of the sdcard can become a little smaller, but it should work reliable again.
A windows checkdisk on the card wouldn't hurt either. There is always the possibility that the file system became partially corrupt.

I did a reformat a little while ago, but it wasn't a full, just a quick, so a thorough one would likely be more efficacious.

I did see a 16GB SDHC card for $13 on Amazon (Sandisk brand) as well as Kingston for about the same price.

Edit 4:55PM - Just ran chkdsk and no errors or corrupted sectors were found.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this SDHC card is really FUBAR. I completely reformatted it using the more thorough method (not quick) AND I used Check Disk and it reported no errors. I completely rebuilt all the folder structures from scratch (created all necessary folders in the necessary order), re-downloaded ALL the apps for the homebrew channel. It was only partially successful; Snes9xGx loaded up just fine with both device settings at "SD", and I could load and quit games without any issues. Heck, it even went back to the ROM directory, and that itself is a good improvement. But all good things must come to an end; when I tried to create an save state, it gave me the same bloody error message. So, I then tried to exit out of the save menu, only to make it impossible for me to exit out of it. I was still able to use the Wiimote and move the cursor, but the menu would not close at all, forcing me to hard reboot. I can safely assume that the card is no longer able to write data but can still read it. I think I need a new card!

Edit 8:08PM

Yep, it's definitely the SDHC card at fault, I forgot I had a 2GB SD card and when I saved on that, the bloody thing actually worked. The 8GB is done for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)