I just bought a dreamcast!!

blueskies

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=390080544059
I just bought that dreamcast for $42. I'm hoping it plays backups, I've read a little and I guess later models don't play backups or something. I've wanted one for about 10 years now, so I'm glad I finally got one.
biggrin.gif
:yaydc:

I'm about to read through the essentials list (didn't even know we had one for DC) and get some old school gaming on!

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blueskies said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=390080544059
I just bought that dreamcast for $42. I'm hoping it plays backups, I've read a little and I guess later models don't play backups or something. I've wanted one for about 10 years now, so I'm glad I finally got one.
biggrin.gif
:yaydc:

I'm about to read through the essentials list (didn't even know we had one for DC) and get some old school gaming on!

Sweet glad you got one, buy some extra vmu, the real games now a days are cheap get code veronica and nights, chu chu rocket etc..
download the utopia disc and burn that if you want to play your backups.

baffle-boy said:
... also some people put emulators on their ds for free (owned)

QUOTE(shinkukage09 @ Aug 13 2009, 04:09 PM)
Kind of a waste of $42...

its so not a waste...to each there own...look at it more like a collectors item. My dreamcast is broken it wont read discs anymore and i wish It still did because there are some rare games for that system and its nostalgic, its good to have hardware options for gaming just because its old doesn't mean its useless.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A waste? You people are weird, its a might fine console at home to some of the greatest titles of the late 90's. Emulation of it pales in comparrison.

Get Bangai-O and see how much better it is compared to the lacklustre DS game.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funem said:
shinkukage09 said:
Hell no its not. Dreamcast is one of the most under rated consoles that there has ever been. I own a lot of consoles and the DC and its games are still top of my list...

I never said it was a bad console. But with everything out now that can emulate it perfectly, well, to me, it just seems to be a waste of $42

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
I love my dreamcast. I wish I could turn it into a woman. The laser is kinda flakky, tho... lots of problems with hat piece of hardware. Take care of it.

impur1ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
$42 well spent in my opinion. There are too many great exclusive games to list, but be sure to give Shenmue a try.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Nosferadrian said:
A waste? You people are weird, its a might fine console at home to some of the greatest titles of the late 90's. Emulation of it pales in comparrison.

Get Bangai-O and see how much better it is compared to the lacklustre DS game.

funem said:
QUOTE(shinkukage09 @ Aug 13 2009, 10:09 PM) Kind of a waste of $42...
Hell no its not. Dreamcast is one of the most under rated consoles that there has ever been. I own a lot of consoles and the DC and its games are still top of my list...

I agree with both of you! Mine's permanently set up and get's quite alot of use. I'd recommend getting a memory unit that's not a VMU as well, the VMUs are a nice touch and a few games make decent use of them but they go through batteries like nobodies business. Well under-rated system, it would have done better if so many people weren't blinded by wanting the PS2. So many times I recommended it and all I got was "Nah, I'm waiting for the PS2 cos it's gonna be the best console ever released". Not owning a DC means missing out on some of the best shoot em ups around. Not tried DC emulation but if it's anything like Saturn emulation then it's nowhere near as good as the real console.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
I never said it was a bad console. But with everything out now that can emulate it perfectly, well, to me, it just seems to be a waste of $42
No not really, emulation is never the same.

True gamers know this.

Whatever your loss is our gain.
gbasp.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
shinkukage09 said:
funem said:
shinkukage09 said:

Emulation != Perfect

And due to that simple reason it's mostly preferred to play a game on it's original console.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
funem said:
shinkukage09 said:

The only people who think emulation is perfect are the people who have never really had any real experience playing the real machine. My old PC couldn't run the Saturn emulators but the one I've just got can so I gave SSF a blast earlier. The only two games I tried on it were Fighters Megamix and Sega Rally and they both felt like shit in the emulator. Because of the timings not being perfect the controls on Sega Rally felt terrible instead of the perfection that they are on the real machine and there were graphica glitches that don't exist on the real machine. Don't even get me started on how bad Fighters Megamix was. It seemed to have some kind of weird motion blur thing going that shouldn't have been there, the controls felt sluggish and timings were off. Before you say that my machine might not be powerful enough the games were running at full speed, they just weren't running how they were meant to be. I can give you a bunch of games on each console that don't run half as nicely on an emulator.

They might look perfect to you, but they seriously aren't. They're good if you can't get the real machines for whatever reason but the games will never play as nicely as they do on a real machine. But like Hadrian said, your loss is our gain. It means that if one of my consoles dies I won't have a problem sourcing another one, heh.

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TrolleyDave said:
I'd recommend getting a memory unit that's not a VMU as well, the VMUs are a nice touch and a few games make decent use of them but they go through batteries like nobodies business.

Hey didnt you know the VMU only needs batteries for the little games you could play on em, they save and display perfectly without batteries when connectet to the Dreamcast via controller.

I still have my dreamcast too stored away thought. I think it was ahead of its time and Sega did fail to promote it right.
I mean the fist console u could go online with, surf the web. The VMU was so innovative back then. Also a lot other hardware like keyboard and mouse even i microphone.
The games so freshly new concepts not the same old stuff just looking better.

My all time favorite Games on dreamcast are:
Phantasy star online
Jet set radio
Skys of Arcadia
Soul Calibur
Crasy Taxi

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Trolley, I still own my original Dreamcast. And my computer can emulate games just fine. So...neh. Not like I really care, though.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
shinkukage09 said:
Actually, Trolley, I still own my original Dreamcast. And my computer can emulate games just fine. So...neh. Not like I really care, though.

With a comment like "so...neh" I'm surprised you're old enough to have an original Dreamcast. And there's whol world of difference between "just fine" and "perfectly".

QUOTE(DSAndi @ Aug 13 2009, 11:22 PM) Hey didnt you know the VMU only needs batteries for the little games you could play on em, they save and display perfectly without batteries when connectet to the Dreamcast via controller.

Yeah I know, I guess it's just me being OCD but whenever my VMU batteries run out I have to replace them or it drives me barmy! lol

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you haven't played them already I suggest you DON'T play Shenmue 1+2. They're both brilliant games but the fact that the story was never finished will annoy you forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee