I just bought a dreamcast!!

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by blueskies, Aug 13, 2009.

Aug 13, 2009

I just bought a dreamcast!! by blueskies at 1:05 AM (12,712 Views / 0 Likes) 200 replies

1. blueskies
    OP

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=390080544059
    I just bought that dreamcast for $42. I'm hoping it plays backups, I've read a little and I guess later models don't play backups or something. I've wanted one for about 10 years now, so I'm glad I finally got one. [​IMG] :yaydc:

I'm about to read through the essentials list (didn't even know we had one for DC) and get some old school gaming on!

2. baffle-boy

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    ... also some people put emulators on their ds for free (owned)

3. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Kind of a waste of $42...

4. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    its so not a waste...to each there own...look at it more like a collectors item. My dreamcast is broken it wont read discs anymore and i wish It still did because there are some rare games for that system and its nostalgic, its good to have hardware options for gaming just because its old doesn't mean its useless.

5. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    A waste? You people are weird, its a might fine console at home to some of the greatest titles of the late 90's. Emulation of it pales in comparrison.

Get Bangai-O and see how much better it is compared to the lacklustre DS game.

6. funem

Member funem Retro Powered..

United Kingdom
    Hell no its not. Dreamcast is one of the most under rated consoles that there has ever been. I own a lot of consoles and the DC and its games are still top of my list...

7. GreatZimkogway

United States
    I never said it was a bad console. But with everything out now that can emulate it perfectly, well, to me, it just seems to be a waste of $42

8. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    I love my dreamcast. I wish I could turn it into a woman. The laser is kinda flakky, tho... lots of problems with hat piece of hardware. Take care of it.

9. impur1ty

Newcomer impur1ty Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    $42 well spent in my opinion. There are too many great exclusive games to list, but be sure to give Shenmue a try.

10. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I agree with both of you! Mine's permanently set up and get's quite alot of use. I'd recommend getting a memory unit that's not a VMU as well, the VMUs are a nice touch and a few games make decent use of them but they go through batteries like nobodies business. Well under-rated system, it would have done better if so many people weren't blinded by wanting the PS2. So many times I recommended it and all I got was "Nah, I'm waiting for the PS2 cos it's gonna be the best console ever released". Not owning a DC means missing out on some of the best shoot em ups around. Not tried DC emulation but if it's anything like Saturn emulation then it's nowhere near as good as the real console.

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    No not really, emulation is never the same.

True gamers know this.

Whatever your loss is our gain. [​IMG]

12. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Emulation != Perfect

And due to that simple reason it's mostly preferred to play a game on it's original console.

13. SgtYutz

Newcomer SgtYutz Advanced Member

Canada
    Every time i hear of a dreamcast i always remember the seaman. [​IMG]

14. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
  15. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    The only people who think emulation is perfect are the people who have never really had any real experience playing the real machine. My old PC couldn't run the Saturn emulators but the one I've just got can so I gave SSF a blast earlier. The only two games I tried on it were Fighters Megamix and Sega Rally and they both felt like shit in the emulator. Because of the timings not being perfect the controls on Sega Rally felt terrible instead of the perfection that they are on the real machine and there were graphica glitches that don't exist on the real machine. Don't even get me started on how bad Fighters Megamix was. It seemed to have some kind of weird motion blur thing going that shouldn't have been there, the controls felt sluggish and timings were off. Before you say that my machine might not be powerful enough the games were running at full speed, they just weren't running how they were meant to be. I can give you a bunch of games on each console that don't run half as nicely on an emulator.

They might look perfect to you, but they seriously aren't. They're good if you can't get the real machines for whatever reason but the games will never play as nicely as they do on a real machine. But like Hadrian said, your loss is our gain. It means that if one of my consoles dies I won't have a problem sourcing another one, heh.

16. DSAndi

Member DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hey didnt you know the VMU only needs batteries for the little games you could play on em, they save and display perfectly without batteries when connectet to the Dreamcast via controller.

I still have my dreamcast too stored away thought. I think it was ahead of its time and Sega did fail to promote it right.
    I mean the fist console u could go online with, surf the web. The VMU was so innovative back then. Also a lot other hardware like keyboard and mouse even i microphone.
    The games so freshly new concepts not the same old stuff just looking better.

My all time favorite Games on dreamcast are:
    Phantasy star online
    Jet set radio
    Skys of Arcadia
    Soul Calibur
    Crasy Taxi

17. GreatZimkogway

United States
    Actually, Trolley, I still own my original Dreamcast. And my computer can emulate games just fine. So...neh. Not like I really care, though.

18. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Yeah I know, I guess it's just me being OCD but whenever my VMU batteries run out I have to replace them or it drives me barmy! lol

19. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Best console ever!
    I love the dreamcast and I reckon you got a bargain!
    Noice one buddy!

20. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    If you haven't played them already I suggest you DON'T play Shenmue 1+2. They're both brilliant games but the fact that the story was never finished will annoy you forever.