SSF43DE Master
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
My borhter as told me that game cartdrigdes for the Vita have a maximum capacity of 2Gb ??
That even if I buy a 3D model, my borhter also told me that I cannot expect to be able to play a big first person shooter while traveling in a car, bus or plane ??

Pip'

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
He's wrong on both counts.....Firstly Uncharted is 3.8GB's so that's point one, and secondly all you'd do is disable Wifi and 3G on a plane journey.

masterchan777

Trophies
XP
Country
PSVita games come on special flash cards, currently those are available in sizes up to 4GB, but technically those can be expanded up to 32GBs if needed, plus there is always the multi-card gaming option.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
He's wrong on both counts.....Firstly Uncharted is 3.8GB's so that's point one, and secondly all you'd do is disable Wifi and 3G on a plane journey.
Okay true, you have to disable WiFi and 3G on a plane. My bro was telling me that 3G bandwidth isn't enough for (let's say) 16 players multiplayer fps game.
PSVita games come on special flash cards, currently those are available in sizes up to 4GB, but technically those can be expanded up to 32GBs if needed, plus there is always the multi-card gaming option.
Okay thank you for that answer. I thought it was strange to be honest. I started to wonder how could they use great texturing with such a small cart. But expendaed to 32Gb ?? That's incredible for an handheld. Multi-card option ?? Did that ever happened on any console ?? :/

Pip'

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay true, you have to disable WiFi and 3G on a plane. My bro was telling me that 3G bandwidth isn't enough for (let's say) 16 players multiplayer fps game.

If the 3G data being applied is built specifically for the Vita? Then gaming shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, I don't believe this is the case, as Sony is taking 3G from major phone companies. Soooo.... Huge online battles might be a little laggy.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay true, you have to disable WiFi and 3G on a plane. My bro was telling me that 3G bandwidth isn't enough for (let's say) 16 players

how quickly people forget that we used to play 16. or 32 man Unreal Tournament on dialup, or 1 mbps "highspeed" back in the day

whoever is telling you these things, you should ignore everything they say for the rest of their lives, since they know nothing

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Okay true, you have to disable WiFi and 3G on a plane. My bro was telling me that 3G bandwidth isn't enough for (let's say) 16 players
how quickly people forget that we used to play 16. or 32 man Unreal Tournament on dialup, or 1 mbps "highspeed" back in the day
whoever is telling you these things, you should ignore everything they say for the rest of their lives, since they know nothing
TYou are freaking right. I will ask my bro to remember they era of when we were playing 16 man free-for-all in Quake 2 !!

Pip'

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay thank you for that answer. I thought it was strange to be honest. I started to wonder how could they use great texturing with such a small cart. But expendaed to 32Gb ?? That's incredible for an handheld. Multi-card option ?? Did that ever happened on any console ?? :/

Pip'
I don't think it's been done before, since it would require you to have you save data outside of the cartridge, which is possible on the Vita, but hasn't been on any cartridge using device (not including the 3DS, I dunno how it handles save files, but since it got a SD slot, it should be possible, right?) before - so the they never really had the option before, I'd think? It's definitely an option now, but making two cartridges is probably more expensive than making one cartridge with 8, 16 or 32GB. ^^;

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pip'
I don't think it's been done before, since it would require you to have you save data outside of the cartridge, which is possible on the Vita, but hasn't been on any cartridge using device (not including the 3DS, I dunno how it handles save files, but since it got a SD slot, it should be possible, right?) before - so the they never really had the option before, I'd think? It's definitely an option now, but making two cartridges is probably more expensive than making one cartridge with 8, 16 or 32GB. ^^;
What are you talking about? masterchan77 was saying that the cards can come in different sizes, so a larger game would come on a card with more memory, not that one game would come in different sized cartridges or that you could expand the storage on the fly for no reason.

And 3G online multiplayer is seriously limited. The real problem isn't the bandwidth, it's the latency, or the ping. 3G would have terrible lag for any type of real time multiplayer. So, it's limited to asynchronous multiplayer, score uploading/downloading, the PS Store, and some apps.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What are you talking about? masterchan77 was saying that the cards can come in different sizes, so a larger game would come on a card with more memory, not that one game would come in different sized cartridges or that you could expand the storage on the fly for no reason.

And 3G online multiplayer is seriously limited. The real problem isn't the bandwidth, it's the latency, or the ping. 3G would have terrible lag for any type of real time multiplayer. So, it's limited to asynchronous multiplayer, score uploading/downloading, the PS Store, and some apps.
Did you even read what I wrote?

masterchan77 also suggested that "plus there is always the multi-card gaming option" which I interpreted as the use of multiple cartridges for one game. Just like how games were split among multiple floppy discs, CDs, DVDs and UMDs (I don't think has been multi blu-ray games yet?) so you'd have to put in the next disc when you reach a certain point in the game - which wouldn't be possible if the save files are stored on the cartridge itself, like they are on the Gameboy, GBA, DS etc.. Since both the Vita and 3DS have external memory, the Vita in form of Vita memcards, the 3DS with SD cards, it would be possible to do multiple cartridge releases on two 4GB cartridges instead of an 8GB one.

But like I said, I'm not sure if manufacturing one bigger cartridge wouldn't be cheaper than making two 4GB ones.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-

Did you even read what I wrote?

masterchan77 also suggested that "plus there is always the multi-card gaming option" which I interpreted as the use of multiple cartridges for one game. Just like how games were split among multiple floppy discs, CDs, DVDs and UMDs (I don't think has been multi blu-ray games yet?) so you'd have to put in the next disc when you reach a certain point in the game - which wouldn't be possible if the save files are stored on the cartridge itself, like they are on the Gameboy, GBA, DS etc.. Since both the Vita and 3DS have external memory, the Vita in form of Vita memcards, the 3DS with SD cards, it would be possible to do multiple cartridge releases on two 4GB cartridges instead of an 8GB one.

But like I said, I'm not sure if manufacturing one bigger cartridge wouldn't be cheaper than making two 4GB ones.
Sorry, just re-read and you're completely right, I had just skimmed the posts earlier.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, just re-read and you're completely right, I had just skimmed the posts earlier.
That's what I guessed.. ;>

Tho, I would like game cartridges on the Vita with additional space for DLC that gets released later on - I mean, most company plan DLC (and announce it) before the game is even released, so it would be pretty convenient if there was an additional 500MB or something for the DLC.. :> Of course nobody will ever do that, since Sony want to sell their super pricey memcards... :

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it is already known by most that the games do not save to the game cards, they save to the memory cards in the bottom slot ( seeing as you CAN NOT save games without a memory card ) which is actually similar to a bunch of the N64 games that used the memory cards back in the day (in which you could usually also unlock features with arcades and such) and as for the 3DS it also uses the SD card for DLC and patches for games, but they actually save to the carts themselves

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well it is already known by most that the games do not save to the game cards, they save to the memory cards in the bottom slot ( seeing as you CAN NOT save games without a memory card ) which is actually similar to a bunch of the N64 games that used the memory cards back in the day (in which you could usually also unlock features with arcades and such) and as for the 3DS it also uses the SD card for DLC and patches for games, but they actually save to the carts themselves
But I bet it would be possible to add a feature like copying the savefile to the SD card via a firmware update.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
there is a multicardridge game for NDS if I remember right, it was Dragon Quest in it's early days. ^^

Multicardridge can always be done, just put the save file on an external card OR save it for a few moments in the internal memory. ^^

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there is a multicardridge game for NDS if I remember right, it was Dragon Quest in it's early days. ^^

Multicardridge can always be done, just put the save file on an external card OR save it for a few moments in the internal memory. ^^

I'm almost certain there has never been a multicartridge game. DQ9 was rumored to be multicardridge though.

I imagine multicartridge could be done like the methods you suggested. Though I imagine a publisher may as just use a bigger cartridge. Vita's cartridges are already at 4GB and will most likely increase to 8GB. Which should be enough, most games on the PS3/360 rarely exceed 8GB.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I'm almost certain there has never been a multicartridge game. DQ9 was rumored to be multicardridge though.

I imagine multicartridge could be done like the methods you suggested. Though I imagine a publisher may as just use a bigger cartridge. Vita's cartridges are already at 4GB and will most likely increase to 8GB. Which should be enough, most games on the PS3/360 rarely exceed 8GB.

I was a rumor! Ahh thanks for clearing up :)

I don't know much about the size of PS3/360 games, but games like COD and BF3, are they bigger then 8GB? Just a general question.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well most multiplat games tend to be around 8GB. I can't really comment on individual games. You can make an assumption of game size by the number of DVDs used on the 360. Like Lost Odyssey for example which had four discs. However I have a PS3 and thus only use one disc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1