Gaming I have a TON of questions

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BRAND-NEW to the PSP scene. It's just... I'm getting tired of the DS. And the PSP has so many great titles that I'm missing out on! I figure a PSP can satisfy my handheld hunger. But first, I have some questions.

I plan to install some custom firmware. I've read the guide and a bunch of threads, but I'm still confused. I'm planning on buying a used ice silver Daxter limited edition psp 2001 slim off of eBay. The seller is going to contact me about what ofw it has atm. According to the dcemu.uk post on "Is my PSP hackable?", the daxter psp comes with a TA85v2 mobo so it should be fully hackable. If the psp has anything higher than 5.03 atm, I'm going to need to buy a pandora and mms right? Because I heard the daxter mobo can't make pandoras.

I want the best firmware, but there's so many different ones. m33, gen-d, prometheus, they all sound the same to me. Which is the best? The softmod sticky suggests Prometheus, which sounds good with me if I don't have to patch all the latest games. I plan to play fairly new games, like MGS:PW, Chinatown Wars, P3P, and the upcoming 3rd birthday and BBS. But I also heard prometheus doesn't support older games? Soooo confused.

prowler_ said:
If you are on higher firmware then 5.03 then you will need to downgrade using Pandora's battery and MMS (Magic Memory Stick)
Use this guide on how to make both.
Download the 5.03 firmware update here.
Copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME/
From your PSP, run the update
Once updated download Chickhen R2 (If you have a 2000, you can download MHUSPEED V3 Guide+DL here (Just like Chickhen but faster at loading) NOT FOR THE 1000 MODEL)
Extract the file and you will get a PHAT and SLIM folder, if
1000: Copy the .tiff image in the PHAT folder to PSP/PHOTO
2000: Copy the .tiff image in the SILM folder to PSP/PHOTO
Then copy the h.bin file to the ROOT of your memory card (ms0:/)
Once done, on your PSP go to the photos menu and hoover over the image.
If it reboots, you're successfully in ChickHEN mode!
If it crashes, just restart your PSP and try again!

Installing M33
Download Recovery Flasher v1.60
& 5.00 Official Firmware
Copy the RECOVERY folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME/
Re-name the 5.00 Official Firmware to 500.PBP
Copy 500.PBP to ms0:/ (The root of the memory stick)
Run HellCat's Recovery Flasher
Make sure Target FW is 5.00 then go down to INSTALL M33 CFW
When it says to restart your PSP, you now have 5.00 M33 CFW!
M33 is very out-dated its highly suggested that you update to 5.50 GEN D4 (5.50 Prometheus) to be able to play new games without patching.

How to update to 5.50 Prometheus;
Download XGEN 5.50 GEN-D3
Copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME/
& copy the 550.PBP to ms0:/ (The root of the memory stick)
Run the update from your PSP BE CAREFUL ON WHAT YOU PRESS.
Download 5.50 Prometheus
Copy the folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME/
Run the update from your PSP
You now have the latest CFW on your PSP! You can delete everything that was on your PSP.

I know I start with the first part (updating to 5.03, ChickHEN,) but after that, do I go straight to the Prometheus part and skip the "Installing m33" part? Because if I do, my PSP won't have a RECOVERY folder. I have no idea what I'm talking about, and I want to know if someone can shed a little light on this. Thanks!

Also: If I have cfw installed, will the original features of my PSP still work? Like, can I still log into PSN and use the store and play UMDs? What about adHoc and wifi? Do they still work?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you don't need to install M33 to install GEN.You can(as soon as you hen enable your psp) go to 5.50 GEN.

AS for the RECOVERY folder,that's Hellcat's recovery flasher....i think(can't understand that part of yours)

Prometheus patches 6.20 games,but not 6.00(go correct me someone).It supports the older games though.

Go get PSN Lover,that will enable PSN. As for UMD's,just change the driver in VSH menu.

The rest will work fine.

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome. The psp I'm looking to buy on eBay also comes with GTA:LCS, GTA: VCS, Madden09, and of course Daxter (all on UMD.) Since I was planning on playing those games anyway, I thought instead of downloading them and wasting precious memory stick space, I'll just play the UMDs.

Speaking of memory sticks, where can I get one cheap? I found an 8gb one on Dealextreme for around 20. Anything better than that?

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
you don't need to install M33 to install GEN.You can(as soon as you hen enable your psp) go to 5.50 GEN.

AS for the RECOVERY folder,that's Hellcat's recovery flasher....i think(can't understand that part of yours)

Prometheus patches 6.20 games,but not 6.00(go correct me someone).It supports the older games though.

Go get PSN Lover,that will enable PSN. As for UMD's,just change the driver in VSH menu.

The rest will work fine.
Going directly to GEN using the installer will brick you. (IIRC) Not sure if using the recovery flasher that is modded to go to GEN works though.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HA Box
smileipb2.png

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda understand what to do now... you go from ofw 5.03 to chickhen to gen-d3 to prometheus

easy enough, right? But does it really brick my PSP like what BoxShot said?

BoxShot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arwing789 said:
I kinda understand what to do now... you go from ofw 5.03 to chickhen to gen-d3 to prometheus

Only should brick if you use the normal GEN installer. The recovery flasher modded to install GEN should work.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Arwing789 said:

Sorry for the blurry pictures. I was using the GEN D3 recovery menu in 3.JPG

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.... huh >_>

recovery flasher modded to install GEN? Where can I download that?

If that guide is really telling people to go brick their PSPs, I think it should be edited.

BoxShot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arwing789 said:
.... huh >_>

recovery flasher modded to install GEN? Where can I download that?

If that guide is really telling people to go brick their PSPs, I think it should be edited.
If you are talking about what you quoted then no it doesn't tell you to go brick you psp. It is just that if you go straight to 5.50 GEN with the GEN installer from ChickHen it bricks so it tells you to go to 5.00 m33 then to GEN since the modded recovery flasher wasn't out.

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lost the auction for the PSP. Bastards.

Looking for a new one. Right now, any daxter/gow/starwars psp will do

EDIT: I found a local listing on Craigslist for a psp 2000 (the silver daxter one), and it's a real good price. But it doesn't come with a battery. The thing is, it also needs to be downgraded as well. So can I just knock out two birds with one stone and buy a pandora battery? That's what pandora batteries are, right? Just regular batteries that are moddable?

I realize I'm also going to need a magic memory stick... I'm going to have to buy a stick that supports magic gate right? Does DealExtreme sell those?

EDIT EDIT: Nvm, not going with DealExtreme. Buying from USA dealers only this time. Anybody have any experience with PandoraSales.com? Looks legit, but you can't trust those Yahoo! sites.

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bump.

Also: is this memory stick good? http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Platinum-Memor...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It's a lexar from amazon, so it should be genuine. 8gb for 17 bucks? Sounds too good to be true.

I'm also thinking about getting the Extended Life Slim LED Pandora Battery from pandorasales.com. Anybody have any input on this? Nobody's said if that site's legit or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...