I have a TON of questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by overslept, Jul 10, 2010.

Jul 10, 2010

I have a TON of questions by overslept at 5:40 AM (1,638 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. overslept
    OP

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    BRAND-NEW to the PSP scene. It's just... I'm getting tired of the DS. And the PSP has so many great titles that I'm missing out on! I figure a PSP can satisfy my handheld hunger. But first, I have some questions.

I plan to install some custom firmware. I've read the guide and a bunch of threads, but I'm still confused. I'm planning on buying a used ice silver Daxter limited edition psp 2001 slim off of eBay. The seller is going to contact me about what ofw it has atm. According to the dcemu.uk post on "Is my PSP hackable?", the daxter psp comes with a TA85v2 mobo so it should be fully hackable. If the psp has anything higher than 5.03 atm, I'm going to need to buy a pandora and mms right? Because I heard the daxter mobo can't make pandoras.

I want the best firmware, but there's so many different ones. m33, gen-d, prometheus, they all sound the same to me. Which is the best? The softmod sticky suggests Prometheus, which sounds good with me if I don't have to patch all the latest games. I plan to play fairly new games, like MGS:PW, Chinatown Wars, P3P, and the upcoming 3rd birthday and BBS. But I also heard prometheus doesn't support older games? Soooo confused.

I know I start with the first part (updating to 5.03, ChickHEN,) but after that, do I go straight to the Prometheus part and skip the "Installing m33" part? Because if I do, my PSP won't have a RECOVERY folder. I have no idea what I'm talking about, and I want to know if someone can shed a little light on this. Thanks!

Also: If I have cfw installed, will the original features of my PSP still work? Like, can I still log into PSN and use the store and play UMDs? What about adHoc and wifi? Do they still work?

2. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    you don't need to install M33 to install GEN.You can(as soon as you hen enable your psp) go to 5.50 GEN.

AS for the RECOVERY folder,that's Hellcat's recovery flasher....i think(can't understand that part of yours)

Prometheus patches 6.20 games,but not 6.00(go correct me someone).It supports the older games though.

Go get PSN Lover,that will enable PSN. As for UMD's,just change the driver in VSH menu.

The rest will work fine.

3. overslept
    OP

United States
    awesome. The psp I'm looking to buy on eBay also comes with GTA:LCS, GTA: VCS, Madden09, and of course Daxter (all on UMD.) Since I was planning on playing those games anyway, I thought instead of downloading them and wasting precious memory stick space, I'll just play the UMDs.

Speaking of memory sticks, where can I get one cheap? I found an 8gb one on Dealextreme for around 20. Anything better than that?

4. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Going directly to GEN using the installer will brick you. (IIRC) Not sure if using the recovery flasher that is modded to go to GEN works though.

5. overslept
    OP

United States
    Brick me? Oh no. I don't want any of that. So how am I supposed to install prometheus?

6. lolzed

Philippines
    HA Box [​IMG]

7. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Use Hellcat's recovery flasher with the GEND3 pack. Download 5.50 Prometheus v4 updater and update.

8. overslept
    OP

United States
    confused - would you mind making that in guide format for me like prowler_'s guide? Thanks!

9. fgghjjkll

Australia
    Pictures are worth a thousand words.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. overslept
    OP

United States
    Pictures ARE worth a thousand words... too bad I can't read any of them in the pictures.

11. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Nice pics. They're blurry [​IMG]

12. overslept
    OP

United States
    I kinda understand what to do now... you go from ofw 5.03 to chickhen to gen-d3 to prometheus

easy enough, right? But does it really brick my PSP like what BoxShot said?

13. BoxShot

United States
    Only should brick if you use the normal GEN installer. The recovery flasher modded to install GEN should work.

14. fgghjjkll

Australia
    Sorry for the blurry pictures. I was using the GEN D3 recovery menu in 3.JPG

15. overslept
    OP

United States
    .... huh >_>

recovery flasher modded to install GEN? Where can I download that?

If that guide is really telling people to go brick their PSPs, I think it should be edited.

16. BoxShot

United States
    If you are talking about what you quoted then no it doesn't tell you to go brick you psp. It is just that if you go straight to 5.50 GEN with the GEN installer from ChickHen it bricks so it tells you to go to 5.00 m33 then to GEN since the modded recovery flasher wasn't out.

17. lolzed

Philippines
  18. overslept
    OP

United States
    Lost the auction for the PSP. Bastards.

Looking for a new one. Right now, any daxter/gow/starwars psp will do

EDIT: I found a local listing on Craigslist for a psp 2000 (the silver daxter one), and it's a real good price. But it doesn't come with a battery. The thing is, it also needs to be downgraded as well. So can I just knock out two birds with one stone and buy a pandora battery? That's what pandora batteries are, right? Just regular batteries that are moddable?

I realize I'm also going to need a magic memory stick... I'm going to have to buy a stick that supports magic gate right? Does DealExtreme sell those?

EDIT EDIT: Nvm, not going with DealExtreme. Buying from USA dealers only this time. Anybody have any experience with PandoraSales.com? Looks legit, but you can't trust those Yahoo! sites.

19. overslept
    OP

United States
    bump.

Also: is this memory stick good? http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Platinum-Memor...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

It's a lexar from amazon, so it should be genuine. 8gb for 17 bucks? Sounds too good to be true.

I'm also thinking about getting the Extended Life Slim LED Pandora Battery from pandorasales.com. Anybody have any input on this? Nobody's said if that site's legit or not.