Hacking I have a question about 'scratches' on my DS Lite

Amici

ex trey, city skull, am I are?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Recently, I was installing a new screen protector on my flawlessly unscratched touchscreen since the old one was looking pretty old already. I was having a little trouble installing the new one since a bit of dust always seems to find its way underneath the screen, so I kinda used a damp cloth to clean the screen whenever something went underneath. However, once I thought I got it perfectly, to my horror, I found 3 scratches around the lower right center area of the screen! Well, at least I think they're scratches, because I tried cleaning them and they won't move.

I took off the protector again and tried wiping it, hoping they're not scratches, but they won't come off. However, I'm kinda skeptical if they really are scratches because when I rub my fingernails on the scratches, they feel as smooth as they've ever been. Plus, the 'scratches' seem like they're underneath the touch screen itself. Now, I don't know where these 'pseudoscratches' came from ;P Has anyone gotten similar lesions on their screens before? Are they just dust underneath the touch screen? Or are they really scratches, but scratches from underneath? And if they are, how did they get there? I never opened up my DS Lite before. Hopefully you guys can give me some peace of mind.. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It is probably just some weird shading, you can't actually scratch screen from the inside....and I doubt it's dust..

It's probably nothing....just apply that screen protector carefully, and you'll be fine
tongue.gif

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Actually, it doesn't really affect gameplay.
smile.gif
Only 1 speck is visible during actual gameplay and it's hardly noticeable. This question is more for curiosity's sake..want to know how it got there. Can it be moisture from wiping it with the damp cloth? Because it wasn't there before and now my flawless screen ain't flawless no more =P

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I leave my screen unprotected (is it really necessary with the clamshell design?), and sometimes I notice the sort of things you are talking about when it catches the light just right, but I can't see them at all during gameplay. I would guess they are some sort of trail left by the stylus (perhaps the stylus wearing away?) and figure eventually the whole screen will be totally covered in them....

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess would be that they are swirls. Maybe when you tried to clean the touch screen, there was dirt and you moved it.

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Okay, Thanks for the prompt replies guys. I guess I'll just have to live with them. Still pisses me off that I dunno where the hell they came from =P More so that they're under the screen

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt they are underneath. Just because you can't feel a scratch, doesn't mean it's not there. I'm a car detailer, a car can have MANY scratches or swirls on one panel and still feel as smooth as glass. In this case, it's your DS screen, which is much smoother than car paint since it is not exposed to any chemicals or elements that can corrode. A CD can have scratches and you still can't feel it.

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@JDMEVOIXMR

Really? I suppose that is possible, but when I look at the 'scratches' at the right angle (that it, when they're visible), then try to 'touch' them, it seems like they're underneath the screen.

fingernail
.....| |
.....| |
___[]_____________ outer layer of touch screen
---------scratch--------- inner layer

Um, a very poor diagram of what I see when I try to touch it. It doesn't feel like it's on the surface. BTW, I'm not being stubborn, just want to know. Thanks for the reply though
biggrin.gif

EDIT: BTW, what are swirls? And how are they different from your normal everyday scratches?

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are swirls:
2482384553_8cbf2138a4.jpg

They are mini scratches that come in circles. Scratches are cuts to the clearcoat and sometimes go straight through the clearcoat. They can be removed by diminishing abrasives but I think that's kind of drastic for a DS, LOL.

Hmm, there could be another possibility the scratch IS under the screen, caused from you dragging the stylus too hard. Not really a scratch, but more of an indent.

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Oh cool, so those are swirls... but unfortunately mine don't look like that, they're thicker and look like glass stain thingys...hmm, I'll try and take a picture of it within the next few days and ask about it again
smile.gif
Thanks for the explanation, learned something new today heh.

But in any case, is there a way to hide/reduce scratches or swirls on the touch screen? I've heard everything from using toothpaste or turtle wax but I really don't know which to trust. Of course, I'm not expecting a cure-all solution, but am hoping maybe there's a way to 'hide the blemishes' somehow
tongue.gif
Also, if it really is under the screen, is opening up the DS the only way to get there?

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the only way to get there is to take apart the DS. Na sa pinas ka ba o galin ka lang doon? Pwede mong gamitin ang Meguiar's Scratch X kaso di guaranteed na matatangal yung mga scratch. Sobra naman para sa DS lang, IMO. Nakikita mo ba kung bukas ang DS?

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Pucha pinoy ka pala. Hehe. California ka kasi galing e
biggrin.gif
Where can I buy that Meguiar's Scratch X and how much? I want to try it, mejo particular ako sa mga ganitong bagay e.

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hanapin mo lang sa target o sa walmart, kasi doon ang mas mura. Mga $7 lang. Eto yun
G10307_ScratchX.jpg

Magingat ka lang kasi baka masira ang screen, screen lang yan. I'm actually afraid that the ScratchX will get stuck in the borders. Kung di mo mattangal, eh di bumili ka nalang ng bagong screen sa dealextreme.com. Dali naman eh lagay kaso the sesitivity will be reduced and it might be a different color from your top screen.

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Okay, hehe. Got a lil carried away with that. Hmm, I am in the Philippines, so those shops are out of the question. I guess I'll just find out if Ace Hardware or Handyman carries it.

Really? Are there really sensitivity problems with installing a replacement screen? I'm not yet to the point of buying one, I suppose this is just handy info to know just in case.

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, I forgot, lol sorry! ><

There are problems based on the reviews I've read and the fact that the screens are not OEM.

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hmmm, okay, thanks for the replies! I suppose I'll have to find that scratchX thing here and try it out, if not, just gonna have to live with that scratch (though it still drives me crazy from time to time). I may try Greenhills to see if there's any affordable touch screen repairs available.
biggrin.gif

Amici

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It seems the speck/scratches are really underneath the screen. I took off the screen protector (fortunately it's reusable
biggrin.gif
), then applied pressure on the screen (BTW, will doing this damage my touch screen? It appears okay though) just enough so it'll touch the layer underneath, and lo and behold it does look like it's under. Maybe I'll invest on a triwing screwdriver or something =P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ