Hardware I have a broken left Joycon laying around is it possible for me to turn it into a jig to install HB?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[EDIT] IT'S A RIGHT JOYCON I MISTYPED IN THE TITLE SORRY!

If I bent back pins 2-9 or broke them off would it be possible for me to use the joycon itself as a jig? Also if anyone is familiar with the hardware is there a plausible way that doesn't involve me opening up the controller?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by IAccidentallyBreakThings,

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the right joycon that needs to be jigged in order to boot into rcm so although you can, it'll be a tight fit and there won't be much point

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually what I initially did with mine. Just disassemble it and short the solder points for the corresponding pins.

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you could. But if you are wanting a more "OEM" setup to avoid damaging the contacts in the main console then a better route would be just to short the solder points.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you could. But if you are wanting a more "OEM" setup to avoid damaging the contacts in the main console then a better route would be just to short the solder points.
I just don't have the tools to take apart my joycon or the knowledge to short the pins. Is there a YouTube tutorial on it, and could I pick up a triwing screw driver from a hardware store?

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yes, drivers from Amazon are pretty cheap. So are soldering guns if you up to it it would be one of the simplist soldering projects ever tackled, just a wire between two points. Nice little project to start learning on.

As for tutorial see here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-another-magnetic-reed-switch-rcm-installation.505438/

You will basically be doing this but with a plain wire instead of a reed switch. Pay special attention to the "Solder Points" section in the first post. Those are the points you are wanting to short out. If soldering is totally not your gig then play around with other ideas for shorting those two points. When I was much younger and didn't have a solder gun I use to use hot glue and wire. I would scratch the points I wanted to connect then hot glue the wire. Not a very good technique, and I had mixed results, but I just worked with what I had.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.