Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Death Note doesn't have any of that, I promise

Look at 3 minutes in... that slow down and the gasp. And then again at about 3:03 when it's slowed down still and he's talking with the side view of his face... or like 7:17, when the girl says "I didn't know we had a date! oh right I should've known" - nobody talks like this!!!! And the voice acting sounds so fake and unnatural and... bad. That's what I'm talking about! And also right before she says, "oh right, I should've known", her face makes a stereotypical cringeworthy anime expression.

or her jump at 7:22. Or the eye glistening at 8:50.

It's just so cringeworthy and childish.

Last edited by Thirty3Three,
Reactions: Deleted User

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually just started it. I felt the need to mention that I HATE anime with a PASSION. I find it geeky, nerdy, and made for people with social issues and disorders, filled with cringe-worthy emotes and over-exaggerated expressions and reactions from the characters... That is MY opinion. (My opinion. Get it? Got it? Good. Now that that's over, no more talking about it.) - I emphasized that point just so you'll be able to feel and understand my disdain for anime.

So as you can see, this is a HUGE step for me to watch a movie based on one. I thought it'd be interesting to post this thread, just so that, after the movie is done, I can tell you my thoughts and feelings about the movie, having never watched the show, and having limited understanding of the show. This way you can see that my judgement of the movie is based purely upon the movie, without any prior biases due to the show, itself.

I'm at the scene, right now, where Willem Defoe appears, and it's super cheesy, but I'll deffo keep you all updated! :)

Update: First real view of Defoe. Looks super creepy with that smile, from the shadows. Can't wait to see him outside of the shadows. Definitely did well on the makeup. He looks exactly like how he does in the anime. And holy shit, first victim. Now THAT was dark haha.

Update 2: I want to punch the dad right in the vagina.

Update 3: Second guy's death looked SO fake LOL

Look man your watching death note not only a good anime but now that you have your one of us... 0_0 death note is only the beginning next you will be talking about naruto and bleach.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Look at 3 minutes in... that slow down and the gasp. And then again at about 3:03 when it's slowed down still and he's talking with the side view of his face... or like 7:17, when the girl says "I didn't know we had a date! oh right I should've known" - nobody talks like this!!!! And the voice acting sounds so fake and unnatural and... bad. That's what I'm talking about! And also right before she says, "oh right, I should've known", her face makes a stereotypical cringeworthy anime expression.

If you watch the Japanese with English subs the voice acting is a lot better.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm why do like Mario then through most of his expression and animations are over the top is it neglectable just cause it's a game?

And even the newer Pokémon games have some anime esque facial expression and emotes. So why do you don't mind there and not in anime.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm why do like Mario then through most of his expression and animations are over the top is it neglectable just cause it's a game?

And even the newer Pokémon games have some anime esque facial expression and emotes. So why do you don't mind there and not in anime.
The artstyle is different. I think the artstyle adds to the childish nature of anime. I don't like the expressions on those either, but they're not even nearly as bad as anime.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

You have to take into account too, some things don't translate well. If you can find a couple examples, which make sense when in context, out of 32 episodes.. that's pretty good. I'd suggest, watch the first two, just an hour of your time. If that doesn't hook you, then it's fair to say it's not for you.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to take into account too, some things don't translate well. If you can find a couple examples, which make sense when in context, out of 32 episodes.. that's pretty good. I'd suggest, watch the first two, just an hour of your time. If that doesn't hook you, then it's fair to say it's not for you.
The voice acting an facial expressions, no matter the language, etc., are all exaggerated or bad. The genre just feels kiddish to me. :/

Reactions: Deleted User

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The artstyle is different. I think the artstyle adds to the childish nature of anime. I don't like the expressions on those either, but they're not even nearly as bad as anime.
But not all anime have the same artsyle. Just compare something like Kimi ni no wa to stuff like made in abyss or scrapped princess to know what I mean.

Last edited by ken28,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But not all anime have the same artsyle. Just compare something like Kimi ni no wa to stuff like made in abyss or scrapped princess to know what I mean.
I don't think I'm explaining myself correctly. anime is anime. Just like cartoons don't have the same art style, but family guy is still as much a cartoon as rocks modern life.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1 min in. Ew. That's what I'm talking about.

But yes, back on topic. So the movie was okay-ish. I didn't like how evil creepy demon man stayed in the dark the whole time. I was actually super stoked to see him outside of the shadows :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just feel you're missing out on something great because of minor prejudice
eh, I just don't like it. At least in my mind, it's automatically correlated with childish stuff. It's the same reason I'm not a fan of Teletubbies or Sesame Street.

Reactions: WeedZ

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

But yes, back on topic. So the movie was okay-ish. I didn't like how evil creepy demon man stayed in the dark the whole time. I was actually super stoked to see him outside of the shadows :(

eh, I just don't like it. At least in my mind, it's automatically correlated with childish stuff. It's the same reason I'm not a fan of Teletubbies or Sesame Street.
What is your stance on Mangas and lights novels then? Would be sad that you can't get to enjoy some of the real good story purely cause of the artstyle.

Light novels = books series

Last edited by ken28,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your stance on Mangas and lights novels then? Would be sad that you can't get to enjoy some of the real good story purely cause of the artstyle.
Manga's the same thing. It's just childish.

I was reading a book lately called "anatomy". That's a cool one. Got it from my college.

Reactions: WeedZ

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

To each their own. I hope you'll look past that and give it a chance, but I know people just like what they like.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back