Hardware I don't like the look of this... , do you think this card is fake?

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i bought a Samsung EVO plus 256 GB micro sd card from Amazon the other day
and it came today but i don't like the looks of this package is there a way to tell a counterfeit card
even before opening the package?wonder what i should do now
return or Amazon or just but one from a retail chain store and return it

The writing on the back looks awful
what do you think?
https://postimg.cc/image/u10z2dnhz/

https://postimg.cc/image/wicq98ezr/

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-micr...1JNGCWHU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Last edited by weatMod,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know of Amazon would send out a fake SD card. I know the third party sellers on Amazon do. But this might help you.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
Based on the price (your amazon link) as well as the pictures. it does seem genuine. It is fulfilled by amazon according to the link so returns are not an issue and straightforward.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The packaging seems extremely cheap. I'd really try to pop it in a computer and run a h2testw to check for the capacity. Try also writting random files to it and checking if they get corrupt. It could be a fake one.

EDIT: Actually, judging by the amazon seller, this can be very well fine. Still, run all tests on the microsd. Nowadays even the most reliable sellers can accidently sell bad microsd or even fake ones. These seem to be slipping through stores very easily.

Last edited by Vieela,

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From just looking at the quality of the card (White edges) and adapter (Crisp lettering) It looks genuine.. But I'd love to see the back of the packaging underneath the sticker.. They've covered an important place to check.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
According to the reviewers via this specific seller and card, the card seems genuine but it is not a US version and has been repackaged falsely as US. This means its not covered under guarantee. The card should be fine though. Test it with h2testw to make sure and whether its ok or not, you can send it back and get a refund if need be

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The packaging seems extremely cheap. I'd really try to pop it in a computer and run a h2testw to check for the capacity. Try also writting random files to it and checking if they get corrupt. It could be a fake one.

EDIT: Actually, judging by the amazon seller, this can be very well fine. Still, run all tests on the microsd. Nowadays even the most reliable sellers can accidently sell bad microsd or even fake ones. These seem to be slipping through stores very easily.
i never ran it myself though i see it posted in /csg/ all the time, it is running meme of sorts
but i hear it takes forever to run a through test on even lower capacity cards
so will i be able to test this thing before Nintendo releases new Nintendo switch XL ?

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i bought a Samsung EVO plus 256 GB micro sd card from Amazon the other day
and it came today but i don't like the looks of this package is there a way to tell a counterfeit card
even before opening the package?wonder what i should do now
return or Amazon or just but one from a retail chain store and return it

The writing on the back looks awful
what do you think?
https://postimg.cc/image/u10z2dnhz/

https://postimg.cc/image/wicq98ezr/

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-micr...1JNGCWHU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

oh yea for that price its definitely real

Vieela

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i never ran it myself though i see it posted in /csg/ all the time, it is running meme of sorts
but i hear it takes forever to run a through test on even lower capacity cards
so will i be able to test this thing before Nintendo releases new Nintendo switch XL ?
It does take a WHOLE lot of time. Like a really, really, really long time. I mean like, hours. Maybe 3+. I really don't know. But in the end it's worth it, since it points out the real size of the microSD. There are other alternatives that make the entire checking job quicker though, i just don't remember the name right now.

Reactions: weatMod

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does take a WHOLE lot of time. Like a really, really, really long time. I mean like, hours. Maybe 3+. I really don't know. But in the end it's worth it, since it points out the real size of the microSD. There are other alternatives that make the entire checking job quicker though, i just don't remember the name right now.
3hours is not so bad i thought it might be days to check a big card like this one

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok inopened th epackage it says Korea on back ,the back is black
the left side looks like it has some smudged paint on the white

testing it now with H2testw
say only 1:38:00 so i will report back with the results

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok yes it seems to check out with H2testW

didn't do the endless verify tho

The packaging really threw me on this thing
when i checked the package for my 64gb Samsung EVO the writing on back is clear ,it is in silver and there are solid characters
but on this 256gb t card package the letters are barely legible at all you can see that they are made of dots with huge gaps in between
not sure what that is all about

Last edited by weatMod,

Vieela

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ok yes it seems to check out with H2testW

didn't do the endless verify tho

the packaging really threw me on this thing
when i checked the package for my 64gb smasung EVO the writing on back is clear ,it is in silver and there are solid characters
on this 256 card package the letters are barely legible at all you can see they make of dots with huge gaps
not sure what that is all about
Try to put some heavy files on it. Usually fake cards/defective ones won't hold any more than 16GB. But i do think your microSD card is real, seeing the amazon page seems reliable. The packaging might seem bad, but the microSD might just be fine. Just make sure to do some actual testing with real hardware, try putting heavy files and seeing if they get corrupt after trying to open them or something. I had a 32GB pendrive that passed all h2testw tests absolutely fine, but when i put stuff on it and tried to use them they would always corrupt. I think it was a defective unit rather than a fake pendrive, but still, there's always a possibility.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
According to the reviews in that page regarding that microsd card, the only negative aspect of it is that it has falsely been shown and remarked as a US card but it is a EU model instead which excludes it from the warranty. The card is genuine, but there is the drawback of the warranty.

Reactions: weatMod

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the reviews in that page regarding that microsd card, the only negative aspect of it is that it has falsely been shown and remarked as a US card but it is a EU model instead which excludes it from the warranty. The card is genuine, but there is the drawback of the warranty.
really weird
i wonder it there are other shenanigans going on too though since they already are changing packaging
like if it is not actually a samsung card ,like if it is counterfeit but still 256GB but just made by a different manufacturer and rebranded
not genuine Samsung EVO or lesser model with lower read/write speed that is cheaper
i imagine all card are only made by a few manufacturers though and rebranded no?

i still can't figure out the difference between ths EVO plus and the green one that says select
Amazon had them both on sale

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
It can be p
really weird
i wonder it there are other shenanigans going on too though since they already are changing packaging
like if it is not actually a samsung card ,like if it is counterfeit but still 256GB but just made by a different manufacturer and rebranded
not genuine Samsung EVO or lesser model with lower read/write speed that is cheaper
i imagine all card are only made by a few manufacturers though and rebranded no?

i still can't figure out the difference between ths EVO plus and the green one that says select
Amazon had them both on sale

It can be possible indeed. I would test the advertised read and write speeds. If they are way off what they claim, you can claim back easily as it is fulfilled by amazon. reason : speeds not as advertised - possible rebranding of other card.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would just return it, if you can't register it on the Samsung website. If the claims in the reviews of the product are true, you're without any warranty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in