Fake SD cards on Amazon.com!! Buyer beware.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by nWo, Aug 5, 2018.

1. nWo
    OP

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    Well... I recently bought a 256 gb Samsung Evo Micro SD Card, directly with Amazon.com (EU).

Thought that it was secure. As a matter of fact, on past February I got there a 128 gb, the same brand and everything, and all was well. But this time, it was a fake one!!! The package was just as the original, no bad quality printing, nor faded out letters. All was good. But when I got the card out, it was all clear.

As soon as I saw it, knew it was a fake. I'm in the process, asked for a refund, already sent it back. But Amazon says that, they only sell original products. That this couldn't possibly happen. I'll update in a few days when they make the refund (or not).

So, be aware, (I know it was old news, just wanted to let you know that there are still on the loose)

I'm sharing some photos. The 128 one on the left, is the real deal. And obviously the 256 one to the right, it's the fake. So take a close look, because there are fake cards, everywhere. Take a peek on the details.

So, what do you think?

Then, where to buy with total security? ? This sucks.

IMG_20180728_213408. IMG_20180728_213516. IMG_20180728_213531. IMG_20180729_113326. IMG_20180729_113349.

UPDATE: They refunded, but not without a fight. They kept on telling that it wasn`t a fake, that it couldn`t be possible. They were really annoyed; basically angry.

Now the question is, where to buy one? Take another bullet? Or look somewhere else? Don`t want to shoot my foot again.

Last edited by nWo, Aug 6, 2018
    CuriousTommy likes this.
  2. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    If you bought it directly from amazon.com then I would at least file a claim saying that the item is defective. They should give you a refund that way.

I know it's not a consolation, but unfortunately sometimes the powers that be make a purchase order from the wrong place, or at the very least, they just get a bad shipment.

nWo and CuriousTommy like this.
  3. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    Samsung doesnt make sd crads on taiwan,also do not buy from third party sellers,buy from amazon itself. simple like that,do not hook with the hooker.

Last edited by magico29, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    You can get fake cards form Amazon too, which is what happened here. In fact, if you actually read the post it states the card was bought directly from Amazon.

If they refused to refund you, get in contact with them again, they should definitely give you a refund immediately, and in fact I have gotten a refund as soon as I asked for it when the same thing happened to me. Though this was in the US, but customer service should be the same, if not better, in the EU. Don't send them an email, use the live chat.

CuriousTommy and nWo like this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Buying SD cards online is always risk of fake. Least if you buy at retail and it doesn't work, bring it back with refund and proof and you win a replacement. :ninja:

6. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    ok machete man!! i understood now. johnny trejo.

7. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Bought two microsd the other day, one was fake with actually less space than advertised, found out too late and couldn't return it :(

8. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    i bought one of 200gb and i saw that were sell by amazon ( US amazon in my case bc i live on Mexico) and everyting is fine, you have to look that amazon is the seller and not 3° person.

9. ZachSZ

ZachSZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2016
    United States
    That sucks. I got sold a fake 200gb sandisk from a third party, got it refunded, and bought a Samsung replacement directly from Amazon.

Last edited by ZachSZ, Aug 5, 2018
  10. Durelle

Durelle Acadien Einnnn~!

GBAtemp Patron
    Durelle is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    I bought a 128 GB card from Amazon I think it's a 3rd party... I haven't checked it yet... Maybe I should

11. Dave_Chad

Dave_Chad GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2016
    Have you ran a test on it with hwtest2? Be interesting to see the true capacity.

12. nWo
    OP

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    I actually was gonna do that, but it didn`t even copy text files, so I didn`t went down the road because it would have taken a hell of a time, and it was obvious that it was fake.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah man, do it, you never know.

13. Edgarska

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    You should always run a test if you can, regardless of where you bought it, even stores can get fakes.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. Durelle

Durelle Acadien Einnnn~!

GBAtemp Patron
    Durelle is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    I was kinda waiting to receive my sd2vita, guess I'll have to find a SD card reader. But a quick glance at the packaging it looks legit. No black borders, made in Philippines. 1 year adapter warranty etc...

15. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    bestbuy online too

16. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 2, 2015
    Have had 100% sucess with newegg and prices are usually identical. So far 5x 200Gb legit and 4x256gb legit

I've noticed that the best clones / fake cards will have different text and or layout on serials

Amazon 256gb card was fake
    Ebay is super risky

Newegg ftw

17. Edgarska

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    I've gotten fake cards from newegg, so it's not infallible. Unless you can buy directly from the manufacturer without a middleman, there is a chance of getting a fake card.
    100% success rate on 9 cards doesn't mean it's completely safe, I got a fake one out of 3 cards bought there. If you buy enough cards it's just a matter of time until you get a fake one.

18. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 2, 2015

Those are just my recent purchases. Been a few hundred cards total with 100% rate. Directly form newegg of course

19. Edgarska

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    The point is that even just 1 fake card proves it's not infallible, though it does appear to be better than Amazon, from which I've had 2 fake cards.

20. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Getting fake cards off Amazon isn't uncommon. I once got a fake that came right out of the warehouse that my ex was working in Buying online in general comes with an increased risk of getting fakes.