I dont believe in preorders

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually only preorder games if there's a good bonus with them. Otherwise, there usually is not a problem getting it.

Console wise, I usually pre-order if I'm sure I want it at launch, even though the 3ds and Wii U launches certainly didn't require that at all.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Preorders are pretty horrible, actually. You're throwing tons of money at a product that isn't even finished yet. You may be hyped, sure, but just wanting the end product to be good doesn't mean it will be.

We've seen more than a few developers and publishers exploit this system for their shitty games (*cough*Gearbox*cough*Colonial Marines*cough*). Encouraging this sort of behavior is just a bad, bad idea.

You should see a doctor about that cough.

Reactions: Magsor

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Pre-ordering in certain circumstances can be a smart move. For instance, where the price is likely to rise before the product release. I've seen this happen with quite a few games. Of course, it can go the other way too but most of the sites seem to be running lowest price guarantee schemes for pre-orders anyway.

I generally preorder my weeaboo gaems because I'm a weeaboo. I also preorderd The Last of Us and that was worth every single penny. Fucking fantastic gaem

I swear I'm *this close* to writing a user script that will replace all instances of the word gaem with game! Also weeaboo with culturally-confused moron.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the only game that i have preordered was pokemon gold when i was a kid. that came with a cd that had on it a song and some screenshots of the game, i still have the cd

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I thought of another thing in regarding preorders. Though I'm not really sure if it's a good thing or not...

The amount of preorders play a huge role in the success of the product. In video games, the first two weeks after release make up for the far majority of the actual sales of a game (I believe it was somewhere around 80%, even). Not only is that very spectacular by itself (it means that marketing and hype tends to play a HUGE role on our shopping habbits), but it outlines the importancy of preorders as well.

I could be wrong, but I believe the xbox one preorders - or rather: the lack thereof - played a far greater factor in the changed policy than all the opinions voiced about it combined.

And while I'm at it...isn't kickstarter technically a preorder-driven thing?

Why are we not attacking how retarded this phrase is?
Why are 'we' not reading the posts of others before making these statements?

I started my previous reply with my thoughts on the phrasing. But if you want the whole internet to flame him for it...then you really have to do it yourself. You can start by explaining why you have that opinion, for one thing.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
If i really want something i'll pre-order/purchase.

I pre-ordered M & L Dream Team to make sure i receive it on the day of release.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"I don't believe in preorders"
They do exist you know.

That over.

If someone wants to waste their money or even gamble it then they are free to.

I have potential issues with devs/publishers getting a cut (an extension/branch of my dislike for them cooking up the idea that they deserve money for second hand sales) though if they want to negotiate things with those taking preorders I can go that.

Unless buying tickets for an event/concert/plane counts as preordering I never do it. I might put a deposit down if stock is to be reordered and might put money in the hand of someone that can order things more easily than I might be able to.

If it is a preorder I can easily walk away from (pre authorised charge is viable here) then I can also go that.

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
I pre-order most games I know I really want before the game's release by a week or so because I'm not in the UK atm so it takes a lot of time to import my games from there and even placing an order. So, in other words, if I don't pre-order stuff, I'll need to wait for at least a week till they place an order on the game, which might be too late and I would need to wait even more weeks till the retailers restock if the game is overly popular. -_- So, yeah, pre-orders aren't that bad after all, at least for people like me, that is.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I like preordering when there's special preorder gifts :D
Other than that I only really preorder when I'm worried it'll be out of stock quickly and I want one at launch, like the Wii U.
I don't mind preordering at all, but I only do it when I'm really sure I want something, and I want it ASAP.

I'm not too worried about console launch preorders but would only preorder Nintendo consoles as I always know there'll be plenty of good first party games for them :)
I mean, my Wii U has been collecting some dust lately, but I don't regret my purchase, as I'm anticipating games like Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, new Zelda, Smash Bros, and most of what was shown at the E3 Nintendo Direct. The Wonderful 101 is looking pretty fun.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
The reason pre-orders exist
1. Pre-Order Gaem
2. Wait until Gaem is out of stock
3. Sell Gaem for more than preorder price
4. ???
5. profit$$$

1stClassZackFair

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Salty. You just made yourself look like a fool. Lucky you for that he got here before I did.
Don't you mean lucky for you*? You said "lucky you for"... I see the chain of misfortunate grammar shall continue.

Edit: Back on topic,I believe pre-orders are useful when you get extras/goodies. Also,If you anticipate that something might be "sold out" on release date then it might be wise to pre-order to receive an assured copy. Although,Gamestops can actually sell pre-ordered copies of games so....

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you mean lucky for you*? You said "lucky you for"... I see the chain of misfortunate *grammar* shall continue.

Edit: Back on topic,I believe pre-orders are useful when you get extras/goodies. Also,If you anticipate that something might be "sold out" on release date then it might be wise to pre-order to receive an assured copy. Although,Gamestops can actually sell pre-ordered copies of games so....

The irony in that post.
-->Oh,the<-- irony... Don't you mean grammer* instead of language? Lol

Poor pronunciation. But at least you spelled grammar correctly this time, that's the first step. Congratulations! You deserve a first grade sticker.

cute_i_love_first_grade_round_stickers-r0667d8cba91b4d81b4cd7930a3413aca_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson