Hacking I crashed the 3DS Menu.

skystealer

Muah~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a derp little day of mine. Went to go play some more Kid Icarus Uprising. I opened my 3DS, and went to go to my friends list to see who's online. Afterwards, closed the friends list, and I quickly opened uprising, and I mean QUICKLY. I doubled tapped that icon really quickly to get in my game, and what happened then? The whole menu locked up. It was responding for a couple of seconds, and then it froze completely. The menu music seemed to keep playing, and the 3DS Depth Slider was still responding, however, the depth didn't change at all, it remained flat. I then even tried removing the game cart, and the menu didn't react to me pulling it out.

Here's a video of the "whole" thing. I wasnt able to capture the part of the menu crashing itself however. I only got the aftermath. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-DM_ObyCU

Not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but it was rather interesting.

D

Deleted User

That sucks! D: Try calling Nintendo support. *Too lazy to say the site*

EDIT: I tried to replicate the same thing you did, but no freezing happened. It just started up normally. Hmm...

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I've often had the menu freeze up in various situations. Nothing much you can do with that; I'm sure.

...having said that; a frozen system means it's stuck in an endless loop... this might be useful for that dude who is able to manipulate data; if the loop is endless he has endless opportunities to mess about with data and see what happens on the next iteration of the loop. But, I'm sure he's already thought of that!

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've often had the menu freeze up in various situations. Nothing much you can do with that; I'm sure.

...having said that; a frozen system means it's stuck in an endless loop... this might be useful for that dude who is able to manipulate data; if the loop is endless he has endless opportunities to mess about with data and see what happens on the next iteration of the loop. But, I'm sure he's already thought of that!

Um, not exactly. The crashes that people are looking for relate to an exploit called a buffer overflow which allows the attacker to selectively change the call stack pointer to whatever address the 3rd party code is in.

Reactions: 1 person

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Um, not exactly. The crashes that people are looking for relate to an exploit called a buffer overflow which allows the attacker to selectively change the call stack pointer to whatever address the 3rd party code is in.

Sure. But a loop causing a freeze like this always has an exit clause; therefore conditions are being checked and data is potentially being modified as it happens. I'm no expert in buffer overflows, but is it not possible that the data being modified could be modified in such a way that a BO occurs?

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sure. But a loop causing a freeze like this always has an exit clause; therefore conditions are being checked and data is potentially being modified as it happens. I'm no expert in buffer overflows, but is it not possible that the data being modified could be modified in such a way that a BO occurs?

No and an infinite loop is just that, an infinite loop. There is no exit

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Sorry let me rephrase it:

a conditional loop where, for whatever reason, the exit clause is never satisfied

if I was being totally picky I would say that it qualifies as an infinite loop; it's an infinite loop as the result of an oversight as opposed to an intended 'game loop' style of infinite loop. But I'm not being picky; so I won;'t :D

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry let me rephrase it:

a conditional loop where, for whatever reason, the exit clause is never satisfied

if I was being totally picky I would say that it qualifies as an infinite loop; it's an infinite loop as the result of an oversight as opposed to an intended 'game loop' style of infinite loop. But I'm not being picky; so I won;'t :D

while(1)
{
someNumber = 2;
}

is an infinite loop.

while (someNumber == 3)
{
someNumber = 2;
}

would technically qualify as an infinite loop also, but a shittily written one at that...

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
while(1)
{
someNumber = 2;
}

is an infinite loop.

while (someNumber == 3)
{
someNumber = 2;
}

would technically qualify as an infinite loop also, but a shittily written one at that...

Well that loop has no exit clause.

I'm thinking of something like this...

Code:
iAmHungry=true;
iHaveEaten = false;

while (iAmHungry)
{
if (iHaveEaten)
{
iAmHungry=true;
}
else
{
doSomething();
doSomethingElse();
intVar1 = getRandomNumber();
if ((doSomethingWithSystemRamThatMayAllowMeToCauseBufferOverflow(intVar1)))
{
iHaveEaten=true;
}
}
}

So there's an exit clause, but the function doSomethingWithSystemRamThatMayAllowMeToCauseBufferOverflow() for whatever reason never returns true. Thus we are in an infinite loop as the exit condition never occurs. It's not an intentional infiniate loop, like a game loop, but it is infinite nevertheless. While in this loop, if we have access to the ram, we can change the value of intVar1 before doSomethingWithSystemRamThatMayAllowMeToCauseBufferOverflow() is called.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way that this would even possibly allow for a buffer overflow would be if the data that is being called is user modifiable data like a save file. Nothing else will allow it.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada

I thought that the 3Ds is buffer-overflow-proofed, no ??

Pip'

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I thought that the 3Ds is buffer-overflow-proofed, no ??

Pip'
There is no software that isn't exploitable some way, there is always a way to corrupt the call stack

EDIT TYPOS RAWR

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've often had the menu freeze up in various situations. Nothing much you can do with that; I'm sure. ...having said that; a frozen system means it's stuck in an endless loop... this might be useful for that dude who is able to manipulate data; if the loop is endless he has endless opportunities to mess about with data and see what happens on the next iteration of the loop. But, I'm sure he's already thought of that!
I thought that the 3Ds is buffer-overflow-proofed, no ?? Pip'
There is no software that isn't exploitable some way, there is always a way to corrupt the call stack EDIT TYPOS RAWR
Yea, history shows that there is no software that isn't exploitable in some way. But history also shows that previous flaw are fixed in next generation. I am almost sure that there is now a buffer-overflow proof system on the 3DS, BUT, history also tends to repeat itself.

Pip'

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've often had the menu freeze up in various situations. Nothing much you can do with that; I'm sure. ...having said that; a frozen system means it's stuck in an endless loop... this might be useful for that dude who is able to manipulate data; if the loop is endless he has endless opportunities to mess about with data and see what happens on the next iteration of the loop. But, I'm sure he's already thought of that!
I thought that the 3Ds is buffer-overflow-proofed, no ?? Pip'
There is no software that isn't exploitable some way, there is always a way to corrupt the call stack EDIT TYPOS RAWR
Yea, history shows that there is no software that isn't exploitable in some way. But history also shows that previous flaw are fixed in next generation. I am almost sure that there is now a buffer-overflow proof system on the 3DS, BUT, history also tends to repeat itself.

Pip'

No, there really isn't such a thing as a buffer overflow proof system just because of how the call stack works. The most you can do is prevent it, but there is always a way

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, someone already posted a topic about this specific freeze more than a month ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway