Hardware I bricked my N3DS XL (broken MB clips)

NDB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First i want to notice that my english isn't my native language but i'm trying to as understandable as possible.
So I disassembled my N3DS XL (European version) and after putting it back together the only thing that works happen was a blue light for ~5 sec before shutting down again. But there was no popping sound like other reported. I noticed that i broke the little black connectors because they aren't supposed to be pried.
So I looked for a replacement motherboard and found some on AliExpress, ifixit and eBay but they are all US version. So will i have any problems when i put a US Board in a European N3DS?
after a bit of search i found some replacement clips on eBay: (i cant post the link because I'm a new member)
Does anybody know how to replace the clips? Is the solder part difficult?
Do have any other suggestions before i buy a new mainboard or solder my current mainboard. If you need more information please let me know.
Also this is my first thread so please don't be too harsh ;)

NDB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Image of the mainboard clips on ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180209-105925.png
    Screenshot_20180209-105925.png
    57 KB · Views: 256
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Image of the mainboard clips on ebay

[eBay] 2015 New Version Nintendo 3DS XL LL z Clip set of 2 N3DSXL Part (small black )

s-l1600.jpg

[ifixit] Nintendo 3DS XL 2015 Teardown

IKlW6WTZKKmapYkt.huge

So I looked for a replacement motherboard and found some on AliExpress, ifixit and eBay but they are all US version. So will i have any problems when i put a US Board in a European N3DS?
If you use a Japanese or North American region motherboard, your 3DS will not be able to use Nintendo eShop of Europe. Other than that, you can play EUR, JPN, USA, or any regions if you have custom firmware installed.

after a bit of search i found some replacement clips on eBay:
Does anybody know how to replace the clips? Is the solder part difficult?
Do have any other suggestions before i buy a new mainboard or solder my current mainboard. If you need more information please let me know.
Have you ever soldered before? If you have, you would know how tricky solder behaves at its melting point when liquefying and solidifying. Solder does not play nice.

You breaking off those clips in the first place implies you don't have the finesse or attention to details soldering at SMD (really small) scale. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's usually a sign someone is not ready or prepared to undertake a technical procedure if they're asking in the first place.

I recommend you hire an expert to solder those clips for you -or- sell the broken motherboard/entire N3DSXL + buy a new one.

I DO NOT ADVOCATED THIS METHOD UNLESS YOU ARE BAD AT SOLDERING AND REFUSED TO BE TALKED OUT OF REPAIRING THE 3DS
I also don't take responsibility if you or anyone else kills your systems going this route. You've been warned.
If you still plan to fix those clips anyway, there is the ghetto rigged (improper) method of using hot glue to hold those clips in place and using a silver conductive pen to bridge the leads. After bridging the leads, you would test that the 3DS works and then hot glue over the leads so the ink doesn't flow and spill over.

It can work, BUT this is super easy to make a mess creating an electrical short. If you mess up getting silver paste in the wrong spots, you'll have a bad time trying to clean it off with 91% isopropyl rubber alcohol. Have a tiny silver speck tucked away behind the wrong recesses, turn on the system, and BOOM > instant N3DSXL death.

0.2ML Silver Conductive Wire Glue Paste Adhesive Paint PCB Repair Application
s-l400.jpg

Edit - Better yet, forget the hot glue. Use UV light glue pen.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Repair-Liquid-Plastic-Welding/dp/B01CWPXK0M

61-PQVqjXZL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Anything-Waterproof-Resistant-Plastic/dp/B00QU5M4MG/
61AzpqNlA5L._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1