Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, definitely. If you constantly replace screen protectors and use them, your screen will be pretty much next to mint from the day you buy it to the day you sell it off for some other cheesy little handheld.

No, seriously. I've owned a DS for two years, the screen's still in mint condition. Not only that, but the plastic case saved it from quite a few falls. Think it won't happen, and it will.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Buy some. It's worth it and you can preserve the lives of the shell and the screens. Just make sure you apply them properly and they are genuine.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screen protectors suck. I bought one and took it off the next day.

They make little air bubbles show up periodically on the touch screen... and the one for the top screen kept getting dust under it. Why bother? Just keep the DS closed when you aren't using it and you should be fine. (Scratches don't affect gameplay! LOL)

But yeah a case to store it in is probably smart. I just store it on my counter next to the charger when I'm not using it.

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
drfsupercenter said:
Screen protectors suck. I bought one and took it off the next day.

They make little air bubbles show up periodically on the touch screen... and the one for the top screen kept getting dust under it. Why bother? Just keep the DS closed when you aren't using it and you should be fine. (Scratches don't affect gameplay! LOL)

But yeah a case to store it in is probably smart. I just store it on my counter next to the charger when I'm not using it.
maybe you have lots of air bubbles cause you didn't put them on very well
unsure.gif
mine are fine i used that card that came with it when applying them and i have no air bubbles i just left a little one in the corner so i can remove them when they get worn out anyway you should but both they are both useful if you are like most ppl and don't like your screen scratched :wtf:

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about getting some screen protectors too, and I have a few questions. It seems like the Hori screen protectors are the best out there. How many come in a pack? Also, where's a good place to buy them from in the US? After I put them on, how long will they last on my DS? And lastly, are they REALLY worth all the money and time spent putting them on when the screens are protected when the DS is closed? Thanks in advance!

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
I've been thinking about getting some screen protectors too, and I have a few questions. It seems like the Hori screen protectors are the best out there. How many come in a pack? Also, where's a good place to buy them from in the US? After I put them on, how long will they last on my DS? And lastly, are they REALLY worth all the money and time spent putting them on when the screens are protected when the DS is closed? Thanks in advance!
doesn't really matter if its protected when its closed it needs to be protected when your playing games like trauma center or stuff where you use the stylus the whole time, i don't live in the us so i don't know where to buy them :wtf: i have futuretronic screen protecters or whatever they're called and they work all right but yeah get what ever brand you like and they don't take that long to put them on only about 10 minutes or so
rolleyes.gif

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would your screen get scratched? Do you play while holding a sharp object in one hand?
tongue.gif

Here's the way you're supposed to use a DS:
Keep it closed, When you want to play a game, put it in and open it... play the game... turn it off and close it.

Why would your screen get scratched? Unless you do something to cause damage... the stylus is specially made so it won't scratch the touch screen.

By the way, Nintendo sells an entire top screen replacement kit for like $35... so if yours DOES get damaged somehow it's not like you have to buy a new DS.

It's just that screen protectors are one of those accessories that really only appeal to people who don't know what they're doing. Screen protectors for PDAs makes perfect sense as the screen's exposed to dirt and stuff... but the DS is one of few devices that actually lets you cover the screen up when not in use. Unless you keep your DS open and sitting around the house, the only way it's gonna get damaged is if you drop it, your cat jumps up and scratches it, etc.

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
drfsupercenter said:
Why would your screen get scratched? Do you play while holding a sharp object in one hand?
tongue.gif

Here's the way you're supposed to use a DS:
Keep it closed, When you want to play a game, put it in and open it... play the game... turn it off and close it.

Why would your screen get scratched? Unless you do something to cause damage... the stylus is specially made so it won't scratch the touch screen.

By the way, Nintendo sells an entire top screen replacement kit for like $35... so if yours DOES get damaged somehow it's not like you have to buy a new DS.

It's just that screen protectors are one of those accessories that really only appeal to people who don't know what they're doing. Screen protectors for PDAs makes perfect sense as the screen's exposed to dirt and stuff... but the DS is one of few devices that actually lets you cover the screen up when not in use. Unless you keep your DS open and sitting around the house, the only way it's gonna get damaged is if you drop it, your cat jumps up and scratches it, etc.
thats for top screen and anyway there are lots of ways people scratch their ds screens by playing games like warioware where you have to scratch with the stylus a lot very frantically and i guess people would scratch their screen sometimes :wtf: and also if people lose their "specially made" stylus and have to buy a cheapo one i guess since it isn't "specially made" it could scratch your screen also.

papyrus

Trophies
Website
bux.to
XP
Country
Silicone ones smells funny, but quite durable, I think after sometime it will have a ugly discoloration. Plastic ones add few weight in your DS and makes it bulky and look good than those silly rubber counterparts. I guess choose the plastic ones its good.

siliconcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't recommend the clear skins for the DS enough. I have an InvisibleSHIELD but I had a 50% off coupon. Best Skins Ever are also quite good and are under half the price. They just don't come with lifetime replacement. (But lifetime replacement still costs $4 I think, so you could by 2 or 3 of the BSE for the price of the IS)

It won't help you with drops, but as far as keeping things nice they're amazing. They're also very easy to apply since they use a little water you can get out all of the air bubbles really easily.

I left my DS at a friend accidentally and when it came back the thing was filthy. I took a slightly damp cloth to it and all the dirt came right off the shield and it looked just like new again!

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/ninten...ins-shields.php

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-2...te-Total/Detail

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I realize the top screen replacement is only for the top screen... but the styluses are made to NOT scratch your screen!

The only way you'd have scratches is if you tried to use like a fingernail or pen cap... if you lose your stylus just go to Target and buy official Nintendo brand replacements. They certainly sell them.

I don't really care at this point, I'm not gonna argue with people who don't want to hear it. I just thought I'd be thoughtful and save you a few dollars on something that's not gonna do anything. If you want, just get one and try to prove me wrong - I'm just speaking from experience here that screen protectors do nothing.

I have a silver original DS (I can't stand how flimsy DS Lites are), and my screens are just perfect. I've had it for like 3 years now. Yeah the outside has scratches since I've dropped it a lot and carry it around in my backpack, but those don't affect gameplay any so I don't really care.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Seven said:
No, seriously. I've owned a DS for two years, the screen's still in mint condition. Not only that, but the plastic case saved it from quite a few falls. Think it won't happen, and it will.
I've dropped mine from about 7 feet and it looks and works the same because of the case!

The screen protectors are a must!!!

the_skdster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what everyone should do:

1. Buy DS from EBgames.
2. Buy 1-year warranty for under $25.
3. Buy screen protector, a fake one, for under $3. Do not buy protective case, waste of money.

4. When the 1-year is almost up, mess up your DS and exchange it for a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW ONE!
5. Rinse and repeat by buying warranty for the new one you just received.
yaynds.gif

So for the cost of under $30 a year, you have a NEW DS every year! Can't beat that.
Cost of Genuine Screen Protector and Good case will be $20-30. For that same cost, you can enjoy and abuse your DS all you want and in the end end up with a NEW DS.
No worries of "OMG, I got a scratch on my case/screen, I'M SCREWED!"
cry.gif

Cheers.
grog.gif

EDIT: I've gone through 4 DS Lite's so far using this method, one each year. Manager was nice and let my choose a different color every time!
biggrin.gif

*will be made sticky through power of The Force*

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@playallday, how the heck does dropping your DS have anything to do with the screen?

I've dropped mine plenty of times and don't have screen protectors. The CASE gets scratched, not the screens.

And yeah, warranties are cool. Though unfortunately I didn't get one. I just can't stress enough how much screen protectors are a huge waste.

the_skdster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
drfsupercenter said:
I just can't stress enough how much screen protectors are a huge waste.
Screen Protectors aren't a waste at all. Ever played Mario Party? Or Cooking Mama? My 3 cousins were forced to buy new touchscreens because they completely destroyed theirs after 50+ hours of multi-player on Mario Party. So bad was the screen you could still see numerous scratches even on highest brightness. This could have been avoided had they used a screen protector. And saved them $15 for the touchscreen and my time replacing them all.
hate2.gif

And one of theirs wouldn't calibrate properly anymore either, but that's another problem.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
drfsupercenter said:
@playallday, how the heck does dropping your DS have anything to do with the screen?

I've dropped mine plenty of times and don't have screen protectors. The CASE gets scratched, not the screens.

And yeah, warranties are cool. Though unfortunately I didn't get one. I just can't stress enough how much screen protectors are a huge waste.
hahah. The case saved the DS many times and everyone needs screen protectors as well. See the double enter? Know what it is?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-