Funkenstein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Funkenstein said:
As for the launch library... Well when they announced (...) Layton (...) I was hooked.

Wow. New Layton in 3D is going to be sooo amazing ! The characters, will be, like, in front of the background. It will bring so much to the experience ! Two 3D layers ! And then captions can be, like, in front of characters ! Which will give you three levels of 3D depth in total ! Whoa. A completely different game.

I think you're getting too hung up on the 3D aspect of the hand held. Remember that there is a slider to turn the effect off for
the visually impaired. Regardless if any 3D effect was worked into the game, I'm just looking forward to the next
set of Layton games.

I feel this is another big issue that comes up when discussing the 3DS; People seem to feel that 3D will be required for every
single title. Granted, most studios will most likely work in some sort of gimmicky effect here and there, but if it really does get you so worked up at the idea, slide the 3D effect to the off position. You'll have just as good a hand held as everyone else.

You may return to your bridge pachura.

On a side note, has anyone heard if turning the 3D effect off will disengage one of the displays and divert the rest of the processing power to the single remaining one?

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
You probably phrased it wrong, but the docking pad is a charger. If you mean instead of a cable, then I think you still can use a cable with it.

I prefer a regular charger plugged in the power socket and then just the cable connecting it to the console. Such design takes less space when traveling and allows you to hold the console in your hands and play WHILE charging. Can you do that with this docking-pad-style-charger ?

Funkenstein said:
pachura said:
Wow. New Layton in 3D is going to be sooo amazing ! The characters, will be, like, in front of the background. It will bring so much to the experience ! Two 3D layers ! And then captions can be, like, in front of characters ! Which will give you three levels of 3D depth in total ! Whoa. A completely different game.

I think you're getting too hung up on the 3D aspect of the hand held. Remember that there is a slider to turn the effect off for
the visually impaired. Regardless if any 3D effect was worked into the game, I'm just looking forward to the next
set of Layton games.

OK, but my point was: there is no way Layton-style games could benefit from 3DS' hardware: they are 2D hand-drawn point-and-click games. OK, you can throw in some paper-cut layered 3D, you'll have slightly better resolution, but that's about it. Myself, I would prefer to buy games that would really show the potential of 3DS.

QUOTE(Funkenstein @ Oct 3 2010, 07:19 PM) On a side note, has anyone heard if turning the 3D effect off will disengage one of the displays and divert the rest of the processing power to the single remaining one?

I would prefer the opposite: turn of the 3D effect and benefit from double horizontal resolution. Perfect for web browsing, for instance. But would it be possible ? Noone knows.

QUOTE(mysticwaterfall @ Oct 3 2010, 07:22 PM)
Having the rumble pack for the DS lite, I have to say I only use it for Metroid Prime Pinball. It's way too annoyning in other games. It scared me when I tried it in EBA...

At least you have ONE use for rumble. I wouldn't find a single use for infrared.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
foob said:
-Not sure what swapping DSiWare games means: transferring them over to the 3DS with no problems?
-With the second point, Matte is back? Gloss is gone?
- Yes.
- Yes and yes.

Thank you for answering.
I must have totally missed the news they were getting rid of the ugly slippery fingerprnity gloss. Makes far more sense to me.

I must admit I don't like that cradle for charging. I'd rather Nintendo just gave us the charger and cable but I'm guessing it's optional.

I'd also love to see the return of the easily removable battery for quick battery swaps, but nobody at Nintendo seems to care about extended travelling without power, or leaving with your battery half-charged...

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Hikaru said:
Gaydrian said:
Hikaru said:
I can see where you are going there. N64 games would be nice.....
I don't see this happening when they've already done OoT & StarFox 64. I can imagine them getting a fair amount of criticism for it. Other devs would probably want to do the same, make existing N64 games look a little better, keep costs down and charge full price at retail.
I guess that would be better, too. And there will probably be a SSB game out for 3DS, which would make things even better.

I hope you realize that EVERYONE says for EVERY console gen for a handheld in Nintendo's realm that "Oh there will be a SSB game!" There isn't. They adamantly are keeping it as a console franchise. And really, who would want to play it elsewhere? It works fantastically as a local multiplayer game and not the same experience on a bunch of handhelds. Sitting in a room with three other buds beating the crap out of each other in SSB is one of the few great pleasures you can get from local multiplayer.
+1 if you want a SSB game on a handheld go play JUS. SSB is meant for home consoles and should stay on home consoles. Playing with friends locally is more fun than playing with random strangers on WiFi(Which you can do also on a home console also if you like it).

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Puppy_Washer said:
Is anybody else somewhat disappointed from the announcement?

Here are some things that I'm worried/let down about:
- Price.
The Nintendo 3DS isn’t $300, it’s 25,000 yen. Yes, there’s a difference.

When Nintendo announced the Japanese launch price for its new portable console on Wednesday, most outlets including this one noted that ¥25,000 is worth about $300. That’s the current exchange rate, and it’s not very good for the dollar.

But that doesn’t mean that the U.S price of the Nintendo 3DS will be $299.99, nor does it mean that the average Japanese person will have the sticker shock that you would if you saw a $300 price tag on a handheld game machine.

Nintendo’s prices for the last few years have converted over at about 100 yen to the dollar. The first Nintendo DS was ¥15,000 and $150. The DSi XL launched at ¥19,000 and $190. In cases where there has been a disparity, the U.S. version has been cheaper — DS Lite launched in Japan at ¥16,800 and in the U.S. for $130.

Yes, the fact that the yen has gotten stronger might have an impact on Nintendo’s pricing worldwide. Nintendo has often blamed its falling profits on the weak dollar, since so much of its money comes from U.S. sales.

But the trap that some industry watchers seem to be falling into is thinking that because ¥25,000 used to equal $250 and now equals $300, that means that 3DS costs $50 more than Wii. Fluctuations in the yen/dollar relationship don’t directly affect the average Japanese person who isn’t exchanging international currency.

Certainly it affects me. I used to spend like a sailor on shore leave when I got 120 yen to the dollar. Now I don’t buy nearly as much. The prices are all the same, but I can’t afford as many yens. Meanwhile my Japanese friends go to America and come back dressed like Tycho there.

Regardless: As Michael Pachter told Joystiq, the most likely price point for 3DS in the U.S. is $250. The thing is awesome enough to merit the price bump over your average portable, and people are used to paying more now that handheld gaming is out of the ghetto.

All that could change: Remember that most people thought Wii would be $200. But $300 carries a heavy psychological burden. Add in Nintendo’s history of lowering prices for the U.S. and $250 is more likely a ceiling than a floor.

Source - http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/nint.../#ixzz11KaQtyiH
- Only GB/GBA/GBC Virtual Console?
Like Hadrian said, more consoles will be introduced later.
- Release date.
The release date is fine. Plus, it gives developers more time to work on launch games so they don't release rushed games.
- For the price, the unit looks somewhat cheap.
Look at above spoiler.
- The re-addition of the volume "slider", as opposed to the excellent DSi and DSi XL volume buttons.
I agree with you about that, though.

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think the price is a little bit to high.
But everything else is okay.
6 months to wait?
thats enough time to save up some money.
I think the 3ds will be capable of emulating the N64.
I mean,even the PSP is able to do it.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Ultralex said:
I think the price is a little bit to high.
The Nintendo 3DS isn’t $300, it’s 25,000 yen. Yes, there’s a difference.

When Nintendo announced the Japanese launch price for its new portable console on Wednesday, most outlets including this one noted that ¥25,000 is worth about $300. That’s the current exchange rate, and it’s not very good for the dollar.

But that doesn’t mean that the U.S price of the Nintendo 3DS will be $299.99, nor does it mean that the average Japanese person will have the sticker shock that you would if you saw a $300 price tag on a handheld game machine.

Nintendo’s prices for the last few years have converted over at about 100 yen to the dollar. The first Nintendo DS was ¥15,000 and $150. The DSi XL launched at ¥19,000 and $190. In cases where there has been a disparity, the U.S. version has been cheaper — DS Lite launched in Japan at ¥16,800 and in the U.S. for $130.

Yes, the fact that the yen has gotten stronger might have an impact on Nintendo’s pricing worldwide. Nintendo has often blamed its falling profits on the weak dollar, since so much of its money comes from U.S. sales.

But the trap that some industry watchers seem to be falling into is thinking that because ¥25,000 used to equal $250 and now equals $300, that means that 3DS costs $50 more than Wii. Fluctuations in the yen/dollar relationship don’t directly affect the average Japanese person who isn’t exchanging international currency.

Certainly it affects me. I used to spend like a sailor on shore leave when I got 120 yen to the dollar. Now I don’t buy nearly as much. The prices are all the same, but I can’t afford as many yens. Meanwhile my Japanese friends go to America and come back dressed like Tycho there.

Regardless: As Michael Pachter told Joystiq, the most likely price point for 3DS in the U.S. is $250. The thing is awesome enough to merit the price bump over your average portable, and people are used to paying more now that handheld gaming is out of the ghetto.

All that could change: Remember that most people thought Wii would be $200. But $300 carries a heavy psychological burden. Add in Nintendo’s history of lowering prices for the U.S. and $250 is more likely a ceiling than a floor.

Source - http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/nint.../#ixzz11KaQtyiH
mellow.gif

D

Deleted-188346

OP
SoulSnatcher said:
The release date is fine. Plus, it gives developers more time to work on launch games so they don't release rushed games.

Depends. There will always be rushed release titles, and there will always be crappy release titles. They will always exist.
Also, the release date was intended to be 2010. Iwata said that due to the inability to manufacture enough units in time, they delayed it. The timing of Nintendos marketing also pointed towards at 2010 release, and as you know, several rumors were flying around the internet.

So, it's natural to be disappointed over the release date.

Who wouldn't want a 3DS for Christmas? Preferably a 3DS that is affordable for the young people?

And yes, I do already have the money stored to purchase the 3DS, so I'm not just bitter.
As for the pricing of the 3DS, obviously we don't exactly know the US or Europe pricing. But several sources that I've read from seem to be claiming that it's roughly $300 US. I hope that Nintendo proves them wrong.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
pachura said:
ProtoKun7 said:
You probably phrased it wrong, but the docking pad is a charger. If you mean instead of a cable, then I think you still can use a cable with it.

I prefer a regular charger plugged in the power socket and then just the cable connecting it to the console. Such design takes less space when traveling and allows you to hold the console in your hands and play WHILE charging. Can you do that with this docking-pad-style-charger ?

QUOTE(ProtoKun7 @ Oct 3 2010, 06:51 PM)
If you mean instead of a cable, then I think you still can use a cable with it.

D

Deleted-188346

OP
I just read about the 3DS having less battery power than the DS.
And, I don't really mind. The battery life was great with the DS anyway, and I don't game for 4-5 hours while away from home.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ProtoKun7 said:
pachura said:
ProtoKun7 said:

ProtoKun7 said:
If you mean instead of a cable, then I think you still can use a cable with it.
There are atleast 3 possibilities with the charger:
1. There will be the charging stand/dock in the 3DS box and the ac adapter sold seperatly
2. You get both in the 3DS box
3. The cable is connected to the dock and is retractable. (or you maybe be able to place the ac adaptor in the dock)

I really want it to have an ac adaptor, else I can't play while charging
frown.gif

And than i have to wait... I hate waiting..... Damnit i can't wait for the 3DS!!!!
Although I'm probably gonna have to recharge the thing every night anyway (because of the wi-fi and sleep mode and all).

QUOTE(Puppy_Washer @ Oct 8 2010, 10:24 PM)
And, I don't really mind. The battery life was great with the DS anyway, and I don't game for 4-5 hours while away from home.
I don't mind either, I always take my charger with me and I'm probably gonna have to recharge the thing every night anyway (because of the wi-fi and sleep mode and all)

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:

Me too (Iwata suggests that perhaps Nintendo ought to advise users to deposit the 3DS into its cradle as soon as they get home). And this looks pretty shitty. All people here were trying to excuse Nintendo's hardware choices (read: cheap stuff) using the argument "but this will keep the battery life longer". And now we learn that it won't be that long.

QUOTE(DryYoshi @ Oct 8 2010, 09:33 PM) There are atleast 3 possibilities with the charger:
1. There will be the charging stand/dock in the 3DS box and the ac adapter sold seperatly
2. You get both in the 3DS box
3. The cable is connected to the dock and is retractable. (or you maybe be able to place the ac adaptor in the dock)
1. Might be.
2. No way, Nintendo is saving every penny.
3. Then the dock would be just an empty piece of plastic with no purpose whatsoever, taking additional space and preventing you from playing comfortably while recharging...

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
It was confirmed in a Q A (or you call it a review) that the 3DS package will include the charger dock. Because of the weak Battery.

But I don't see it coming without the AC Adapter. That would be wicked.. :S

It might even be like DryYoshi said:
"(or you maybe be able to place the ac adaptor in the dock)"
I believe that's a very readable thing, if not separated. So you don't have to unplug it all the time if you want to play it while charging.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Adr990 said:
It was confirmed in a Q A (or you call it a review) that the 3DS package will include the charger dock. Because of the weak Battery.

So you really think they will pack the charger-circuitry twice, one in a normal AC adapter, and one in the dock ? And the dock will be in some way charging better than the normal AC adapter ? No way.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure what benefits this charging cradle will have over just an A/C adapter. Still, we can't be sure how much battery life it will have less than the DS. Without a flashcard in my DS and a retail game cart, I can get around 5 hours. Even if it's 1 hour less, that is still a good bit of game time. They do make those car chargers for a reason.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I think since the 3DS will have inferior battery life to the DS, Nintendo just wants to make it really easy and convenient to charge. Get home, put it in the cradle. Rather than having to search for your charger and plug it in somewhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on