I Am Afraid

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by junkerde, Jul 12, 2011.

Jul 12, 2011

I Am Afraid by junkerde at 10:44 PM (1,182 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. junkerde
    OP

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    So starting in late september is my college year. Unlike most people, i went into a private college for Film. It's getting so close and everyday I am afraid about what will happen. It costs about 15,000 dollars a year (im going for 2 years), im getting no Financial aid whatsoever (except $1,500 scholarship) because its private and most STATE FA doesn't go there. Im just getting all these loans, and I feel I have put a burden on my brother and parents. My parents had to take out a Parent Plus Loan for 11,000 dollars a year (of course I'm paying it) and my brother I feel sorry for because he gets lots of FA, and he told me even he had to go get a job now. He also had to find a new apartment for us so we can get to our schools halfway (he goes to a different college). I mean I'm working a summer job at Goodwill but I dont think this is enough money. I'm not afraid of college, its just the money problem. I am so afraid of it, i put a burden on people just because of me. I am afraid I might not be able to pay it back so quick. Has anyone ever been through this? I'm just saying cuz itll be good to know im not alone out there like this.

2. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    Is there no way for you to run a part-time job whilst studying?

3. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I did. Although instead of planning on dealing with paying ridiculous bills for the next six years of my life, I dropped out.

But obviously, in today's standards doing that is plainly stupid, so I don't recommend it. Coincidentally, a few weeks after I formally "un-enrolled" the University promptly had a 50% budget cut, let got half the staff, and closed many departments.
    As for me, life got multitudes better, and I got a job that pays quite a lot anyway. Oh well.

Best to just suck it up and deal with the problems, as it probably will pay off in the long run. Such financial pains are what many people go through, don't worry.

4. Sebastian

Member Sebastian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, everything will be OK...Tomorrow is another day!!!
    BTW, i also go throught this money problem, but now i m better,,,
    really,,,dont worry, you're not alone...

5. SinHarvest24

Member SinHarvest24 Shiroyasha

Trinidad and Tobago
    A lot of people go through this problem. If you still require financial aid i would recommend asking a very close relative if your parents/siblings can't help you anymore. I know how it can be sometimes going to school all day then work in the evening. It's ridiculous. I did that for a few weeks then i was getting stressed because i wasn't getting any leisure time. It was just work, school, sleep, day after day. Luckily my brother has a good job and can now support me financially. Don't give up on your ambition, do what you like.

6. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    God, I love Canada. Nearly free education for the win!

7. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Here it's completely free education for insanely high tax.

Bad trade.

8. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    lol the moderate party have cut the taxes down a crapton, leaving free services for the working class and seniors crippled and destroyed to fend for themselves, as well as privatizing several community services like medication and trash-picking, costing the entity within the government funding it even more. I'd say for anyone who's in the higher-middle class or rich class, it's not even a problem (pappa betalar), it's just that most rich people in sweden I know are just severely spoiled, but that's another story for another day.

9. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    For one thing I don't support the moderate party, but I don't conceptually have a problem with them cutting down taxes (i.e I might not agree with the way they are doing it, but I don't disagree with them actually doing it).

Sweden has the second highest tax in the world after Denmark. Personally I don't share the view that the rest of the world is wrong in not having such high tax with our politicians. To put this in perspective, I come from a leftist middle class home. There never was any "pappa betalar" and I didn't care, neither did I care at all about Sweden having high tax or not except when thinking about my future.

Personally I would love to pay my education and other things in exchange for not having to pay several times the amount of tax people in other countries are paying later. Don't get me wrong here, I don't believe in a no tax society, that everyone has equal chances or that all old, poor, ill etc people should be disregarded. What I do believe though, is that other countries with much lower tax are doing a decent enough job handling these problems without having their citizens lower their ambitions. It's just not really worth studying for and working hard at that qualified job when the pay is scaled down so much that there's not much of a difference from random low tier jobs anyway.

Seeing as the democratically elected parties of this country don't share my view on this, I find that I don't really belong in this country and find it very likely that I will move away from here when (if) given the chance.

10. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    No, you are not alone out there.

Unless you know exactly what you want to do with your life and how tertiary education will help you get there, college will likely hurt more than it helps. College might get you in the door, but it won’t keep you there. On the other hand, if you are truly excellent at what you do (writing, playing music, deal structuring) and let other people know it, the sheer number of opportunities available to you will astound.

It is very sad to see kids and young adults pushed into college today because it is the socially right thing to do, and having them lost in the crowd. They need to know that there are other options.

11. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    If I score 24 or better on the ACTs, the State of Louisiana will pay for my tuition and almost all of my fees AND give me an additional $400 a year spending money. [​IMG]
    TOPS ftw.

(If I score a 22, they'll just pay for my tuition.)

12. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I feel your pain. I start school in September. It costs $56,000 a year. I racked up $46,000 in scholarships and aid, but I still need to materialize $10,000. Right now I have a job and a passive income so I can pay for it without taking out loans, but I will have to take out a loan once summer ends. Though I am doing engineering and salary is pretty good in that field.

13. shyam513

Member shyam513 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The British have it easier - but it still stings. £27,000 for a 3 year course. Sometimes, what a few of my friends who have graduated, and what I myself plan on doing, is finding a company that sponsers you to go. If you know what you want to do, and in particular, where you want to work, you may want to go check out a company site and see if they'll sponsor you.

14. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Just checked your profile, my commiserations it looks like you're in the first year of the Fees hike. LULZ at the Coalition government for messing up Higher Education where average Unis are charging the full £9K, the University of East London are charging the full £9k despite being a fairly rubbish University.