Question I accidentally updated to 5.0 while playing mario

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Unity150_magickavoxel, Mar 14, 2018.

1. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Except you can. I'm playing Splatoon 2 as we speak.

2. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Well you are in 5.0 firmware, that is all you can know for sure. The devs are working on 1.0-2.3 and 3.0 for now (entire 2017), probably Xecuter have someting to say but nothing are 100% YES or NOT .

Last edited by Chizko, Mar 15, 2018
  3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    oh yeah, one thing that this crybaby still hasn't realized is: you can only choose one and ONLY between CFW and Online service, choose the 1st thant means stay away from internet, and don't cry when you accidentally updated to latest FW.
    YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM BOTH.

4. TerryG

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Just because you didn't check facts before making a false statement doesn't meant the statement wasn't false.

5. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    But it was not a false statement, Just read what I wrote. I never said how it works in Switch, so I was never really wrong. I never said "this is how it works".

6. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 25, 2017
    Argentina
    i've never liked playing online , dont know why , maybe because i was used to that online playing didnt exist before .
    Also im not paying Nintendo a monthly fee for online play .
    So hacks , mods , are all welcome !

7. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    Never say "Never"

8. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That's incorrect. Cfw will have updateable emuNAND, which is basically the only reason SciresM is even developing atmosphere-nx. With an updated emunand you then have access to online and eshop.

9. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    It's impossible, for now atleast.

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Easy: No. Nothing you can do about it. that's why I disabled Wifi for Nintendo Switch. Perfect safe!

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's not going to last long though.

12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Yeah, that's why I'm playing non-stop.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I guess I should play some Splatoon then while I still can. I thought I wouldn't be able to download the update, but it seems to have downloaded fine.

14. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Yeah, it did here too for some reason. I need to get bored until the block comes. (Updated my 3DS to 9.3 solely because I thought random themes were cool. Maaan I was so mad until memchunkhax2 came!)

15. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    Just to give the technicalities:
    Switch has better hardware level security, like fuse based anti-downgrade, upgradable bootrom flash as sister to the ROM, and so on. After update is done officially, it's done much like with Xbox 360.

Aside that, security on Switch 5.0 is probably rivaling the security models in xbox consoles which afaik: were only hardware exploited and even then not perfectly and mostly for piracy only. Nintendo of 3DS and Wii U is no more, for some it's better, for some it's worse. I dunno, I like free shit but I also like online in games that have it so I kinda take buying my shit for that.

16. Mito551

Mito551 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2009
    Gambia, The
    I have. it bricks.

17. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Better get dat Switch soon! Just be happy you won't have to deal with scalper prices, for now! There are way toooooooooooooo many exploitable Switches out there to be scalped at the moment

18. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Probably eventually. Might wanna consider selling and getting a 2.1 console or somthing, or the mod chip might be real, you never know.

19. JustBrandonT

JustBrandonT Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2018
    Canada
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7m2eca/bricked_during_update/

There are ppl that have already bricked their switches turning them off during an update?

Perhaps I'm wrong I guess.. but afaik, firmware is right on top of hardware.. everything else gets virtual memory and their own virtual address space and can be reinstalled. For me, firmware is "Permanent software programmed into a read-only memory." Exactly how Google defines it. Even wiki has a nice definition too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Seems to be in-lined with what I've learned.. but again, perhaps these definitions have changed. I dunno what they teach in school nowadays..

Last edited by JustBrandonT, Mar 16, 2018
  20. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    if you can afford to do so, buy a second switch on a lower fw and use that for hax. then you don't have to worry about updating to the latest fw on your current one.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted