Status
Not open for further replies.

bawzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is perfect. let them work on NX, give us peace and a good exploit which will allow us tu have our little treasure of Gamecube, Wii and Wii U unlimited fun at home.

This. This is why I really don't care about the NX. Nintendo may or may not care about the WiiU anymore, but we'll already have the best "Anything Nintendo Ever" (minus 3DS) console with a sweet screen and Mario Maker to enjoy into the long future. Can't wait for the exploit soon.

JayTD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why not release it?
Simple, piracy will destroy the WIIU

Piracy will bring the Wii U back from poor sales every year since launch. Considering the only games people are going to be pirating (and the only worthwhile games on the system) are first party they'll make their money back in Hardware Sales.

We've already got a thread discussing this, also saying "Homebrew world doesn't really exist." is pretty insulting considering where you are.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've already got a thread discussing this, also saying "Homebrew world doesn't really exist." is pretty insulting considering where you are.
lets be honest here
the majority of people here dont really contribute
someone offered to take ideas for a loadiine layout
everybody just ignored and were more interested on
"when is the 5.5 exploit coming. its taking too long"

#truth

on another note
how can we, users on 5.5 even contribute
when we cant do shit because we are blocked lol

Last edited by Don Jon,

SuperNintendo64

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Why not release it?
Simple, piracy will destroy the WIIU

Nope
Piracy, as we can all see, is hard as fuck

How many people are up to read the disastrous tutorials and navigate the bizarre maze of not validated info we read right here every day?

Not many

Its not the same as it was in the Ds days, when you just had to buy a single cart and bam, every game in your hand. That was bad for the industry because it was too easy

People that really have the time and heart to go trough everything to get homebrew running are just a few. And they are probably more interested in homebrew, in see stuff running, than piracy.

Reactions: Nebu187 and mitcha

JayTD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its not the same as it was in the Ds days, when you just had to buy a single cart and bam, every game in your hand. That was bad for the industry because it was too easy
Still wrong.

DS was a fucking behemoth due to the fact how easy it was to get free games. Nintendo made bank but companies like Capcom didnt due to the fact that they didnt get anything from the hardware sales Nintendo got for people running out to buy DS's and R4's to pirate Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright.

Wii U is different. Companies have already pulled support of the Wii U, i cant think of a single developer that still does. They really couldn't care if you pirate the Wii U ports of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 or Injustice.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
IS IT OUT?! (( No. )) -- Updated 1/6/2015 5:50PM MT (UTC -7)

Just what is this thing, exactly?!

Hykem has developed an exploit that can be launched through the Wii-U web browser that can take full control of the system's iosu. From there, we can gain control of the kernel as well and have unrestricted access to the entire system!

What do I need?
- A WiiU on any firmware up to 5.5 (Any unit in any store will have this)
- An SD Card
- A WiFi connection for the WiiU to connect to
- *A compatible External Hard Drive (*Optional)

Phase 1: Setting up TubeHax DNS (Thanks Smea!)
Blocking future updates is critical to retaining exploits on your system. The WiiU automatically downloads and applies updates as it receives them, even in standby mode! You will still be able to play your games online with this, as long as the GAMES THEMSELVES are updated.

Step 1: Power on your system and go to Settings > Internet > Connect to the Internet.

Step 2a: If you don't have a connection already set up, do it now but when it asks if you want DNS to be Automatic or Manual, choose Manual and follow the rest of the steps.

Step 2b: If you have an existing WiFi connection, press X or tap the button in the top right corner to view Existing Connections

Step 3: Choose your connection from the list. I recommend only having 1 at a time so that if you are roaming with your WiiU or have more than one access point it doesn't switch connections and download an update on you.

Step 4: Change Settings > Press the Scroll Arrow on the Right > DNS > Don't Auto Obtain

Step 5: Tap the Primary DNS and set it to 107.211.140.065 -- You can leave the Secondary DNS as 000.000.000.000 (Some people don't know anything about networking and think this could leave their system vulnerable to updates. If you're paranoid, just set the Seconday DNS to 107.211.140.065 as well).

Step 6: Confirm > Save > Save > Quit

Phase 2: Loading the Exploit (Coming Soon!)

Step 1: Download the appropriate payload from HERE and copy it to your SD card, then insert it into the WiiU. (Coming Soon)

Phase 3: Reboot and Test Installation (Coming Soon!)

Step 1: (Coming Soon)

So, should I update to 5.5 ?
That's a complicated answer. There have been no -major- library changes from 5.3.2 to 5.5 (except the in-game manual app) so the chances of a game or homebrew not working on your version are slim to none. There is a small possibility of the 5.5 webkit exploit used for this being very unstable, and -possibly- even not working at all, but Hykem says he will support 5.4/5.5. Those on lower firmware still retain the extra chance for a more robust or stable hack, AND, once iosu is fully exploited, custom firmware can be installed on the Wii-U and emuNAND can be used, so the system version won't even be an issue anymore.

"But won't emuNAND be blocked like the N3DS?" you say. The Wii-U doesn't have the extra hardware that the N3DS has that blocks getting the keys to use for emuNAND. You can select and install components individually, or someone may make a "CFW Pack" to update your emuNAND with, which (may) contains pre-patched tickets/content to keep your emuNAND pre-modded. It's possible a newer iosu may come out that can't be decrypted, but... *shrug*
TL;DR -- No, don't update. Stay where you are.

Initially? Nothing at all, unless Hykem releases a tool or app with the launch of the exploit (which he may or may not have hinted at). Eventually, this could lead to many, many things. Including:

- Countless homebrew games/apps/emulators
- USB Loader
- A title installer (Like Devmenu/BBM/FBI for 3DS)
- EmuNAND
- Real-Time Cheats
- Custom SysNAND firmware
- Custom game content (Mario Kart Tracks, Smash Bros. Fighters, etc.)
- NDS ROM Injection (!)

I SET UP TUBEHAX AND GOT THIS SYMBOL! DOES THIS MEAN A NEW FIRMWARE IS OUT?! OMG EVERYONE PANIC!!!

wT8uKvA.png

Calm down, it just means that the WiiU tried it's periodic check for an update file and failed because you have TubeHax DNS set up PROPERLY.

Hykem isn't currently accepting donations, but he wishes for you to donate to the developers that follow up with this exploit and their efforts!
Thanks for the updated thing at the top!

Reactions: paulloeduardo

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Nope
Piracy, as we can all see, is hard as fuck

How many people are up to read the disastrous tutorials and navigate the bizarre maze of not validated info we read right here every day?

Not many

People that really have the time and heart to go trough everything to get homebrew running are just a few. And they are probably more interested in homebrew, in see stuff running, than piracy.
agree

i question over 9000 custumers in a week on a magasin in france call "FNAC" (is a store for books and games, informatique...)
the question is : have you any hacked consoles ? (after buying something to set the custumers in confidence)
and the answers shoking me from this 9000 people ( from 14 to 45 old ) only 128 hears from the hacking console scene and 14 of them have a hacked wii (this was in 2012).
just to tell , this is one of the biggest store in france.

Last edited by mitcha,

Joe N Tendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to SonyUSA, Hykem and legitimate contributors I may have missed but with all due respect wouldn't it better to move Sony's updates and FAQ to a dedicated thread and change this thread to "Hykems 5.5 IOSU exploit wishlist, BSIng and chit chat"? I understand the anticipation but with all the off-topic and irrelevant posts this thread will be useless and a mess to dredge through when the exploit actually releases.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's what i don't get with Hykem and his exploit.

Why doesn't he release it?

We know he's trying his hardest to open up an exploit in the boot sequence, but here's the thing.
  • The Main Exploit is done and ready
  • As soon as its released, Nintendo is gonna patch the hole it uses, so unless he never releases it Nintendo WILL patch it out.
  • He's more than ready to give up development if someone else takes over hence "Guess my work is moot now. Congratulations @plutoo, @smealum and @naehrwert. Should be matter of time until the keys are out and the exploit afterwards. I’m moving on then. See ya."
He's given himself only one option, release it if the boot exploit doesn't lead to anything or use the boot exploit and make the people wait.

But he could also just release it. Get the exploit out there and give documentation about the boot loop. Anybody willing can just take the stress off of his shoulders and get it out there as an update, he could also do it himself.

If he released the exploit today as it is (as he was saying 99.9999 complete besides the boot exploit), he could give everybody in homebrew development a massive head start, and when the time comes when he or another person discovers the boot exploit and does something with it, they can also put it out there. Nintendo is going to patch it anyway, theres no point literally delaying the inevitable.

There will never be an exploit Nintendo cant patch unless its some stupid shit like a 100% safe downgrade method that relies entirely on the hardware and not the software at all. If it uses software at all, Nintendo will just push an update.

Its not even a pride thing. He'll go down as the person who cracked open the Wii U, whoever finds the boot loop exploit will owe their success to him.

I just don't get why he's delaying it so much when he's ready to just give up if someone else comes along and finds the same or a similar exploit.
He was giving up because of a few misunderstandings:
1. They must have found the same exploit
2. They will eventually release it
If you and another person shared the same projects that came about using [what he thought were] the same methods, one of you would realize the other just wasted months of work only for one to finish first.

The boot exploit would be far better in the long run, being faster, more reliable, and allowing even more possibilities. Besides, more time for obfuscation and stalling to keep it away from Ninty.

He's been working on this far longer than you think. Most things you see on the wiki about the IOSU was likely Hykem.

An exploit that runs at boot is worth the wait, as if he puts everything out now I guarantee the rest won't come out until much later. Again, more time for obfuscation before Ninty gets it because they can't blindly shoot in the dark to patch something they don't fully understand.

F0F completely cracked the Wii U in 2012/2013 actually.

He would give up so easily because this was months of work that could possibly have been for nothing.
Welp, tell me if I missed/misunderstood something. That post was a bit big to keep track of.

Odven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks to SonyUSA, Hykem and legitimate contributors I may have missed but with all due respect wouldn't it better to move Sony's updates and FAQ to a dedicated thread and change this thread to "Hykems 5.5 IOSU exploit wishlist, BSIng and chit chat"? I understand the anticipation but with all the off-topic and irrelevant posts this thread will be useless and a mess to dredge through when the exploit actually releases.
Every wait thread ends up like this, and trust me you will know when the exploit is out. (there's even posts that are word for word exactly like yours). If the hype becomes too strong I'm sure an administrator will make a dedicated sticky to whether or not the release is upon us.

Back on topic, I'm going to be getting myself a Wii u soon; however, I'm not sure if I should be buying a 5.3 or 5.5. Based on what I've read the new exploit might support 5.5 with less capability? But what exactly am I losing with 5.5, considering I get to use wifi services? Not to mention 5.3 consoles are already a year old and the game pads (probably) have unreplacable batteries.

Reactions: henn64

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every wait thread ends up like this, and trust me you will know when the exploit is out. (there's even posts that are word for word exactly like yours). If the hype becomes too strong I'm sure an administrator will make a dedicated sticky to whether or not the release is upon us.

Back on topic, I'm going to be getting myself a Wii u soon; however, I'm not sure if I should be buying a 5.3 or 5.5. Based on what I've read the new exploit might support 5.5 with less capability? But what exactly am I losing with 5.5, considering I get to use wifi services? Not to mention 5.3 consoles are already a year old and the game pads (probably) have unreplacable batteries.
...What?
Anyway, lower is better

Krak-ON

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well Hykem's exploit is supposed to work up to 5.5, but its always better to have a lower firmware Wii U. So in theory you wouldn't lose anything, but we don't know yet. Wii U Gamepad batteries are replaceable, I would even recommend getting the High-Capacity one from Nintendo.

Odven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well Hykem's exploit is supposed to work up to 5.5, but its always better to have a lower firmware Wii U. So in theory you wouldn't lose anything, but we don't know yet. Wii U Gamepad batteries are replaceable, I would even recommend getting the High-Capacity one from Nintendo.
Lol maybe I'll take the gamble with a mk8 bundle then

Reactions: paulloeduardo

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
agree

i question over 9000 custumers in a week on a magasin in france call "FNAC" (is a store for books and games, informatique...)
the question is : have you any hacked consoles ? (after buying something to set the custumers in confidence)
and the answers shoking me from this 9000 people ( from 14 to 45 old ) only 128 hears from the hacking console scene and 14 of them have a hacked wii (this was in 2012).
just to tell , this is one of the biggest store in france.
To me, this is only relevant/interesting if ppl with hacked wiis did hang out in fnac, which we both know they don't, they're probably home, getting their games online, not at the fnac.

this is not saying "nobody knows and hacks their wiis", this might as well be saying "nobody with a hacked wii goes to the vg part of the biggest but overpriced store"

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not condone piracy, but since I am a realist, I will say this. Piracy has never killed any console, ever! Even music and movie piracy cannot kill those industries, and music and movies are a way easier to pirate and have a larger market, that also get no sales from any hardware, yet they still are banking. Not even piracy could kill the Nintendo DS, that says a lot! I guess piracy not killing the PC gaming market also says a lot as well.

I am not sure if I could even dig up anything that I can think of, that piracy actually killed. That being said, I am not saying it is a good thing, nor an innocent or moral thing to do. I am just being realistic about the whole debate.

Last edited by ihateu3,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu